1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to market custom jewlery and other hand crafted items?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by LuckySamurai, Jan 2, 2014.

Hello,

I have a good friend of mine who is making some really cool stuff on her spare time like golves, earrings, bracelets, even shoes and some wooden ornaments too.

The problem is that I have no idea how to properly market something like this and since she has even less knowledge on internet marketing I was thinking perhaps you guys can share some ideas?

The most important thing would be to create a blog of sorts.

Another idea I had was that she should post free tutorials on how to make the things she makes.

What would you do?

Thanks!

LuckySamurai, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  2. Ali Gammack

Ali Gammack Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First of all your friend will need a platform on which to sell the stuff. There will be costs involved if an ecommerce site is required so I would recommend starting off using sites like Etsy and ebay.

I would then start hanging out in related forums and commenting on similar blogs. This way you will get to know other people who are doing similar handmade projects. Show them your work and maybe over time they will show their readers. The more influence the blogger has the more exposure you are going to receive.

If your friend has particular skills then I would suggest that she creates how-to videos or articles. Help other people and add real value.

When your friend does start making sales make sure to capture their email addresses and send regular emails about new products etc.

Ali Gammack, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  3. LeadMaster

LeadMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were you I would start researching articles on marketing 101 for product sales to get an idea of the basic marketing and sales strategy. These articles will answer many of your questions. Youtube is also a good resource for finding tutorials about setting up Ebay accounts and related.

LeadMaster, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  4. Chad Eztraffic

Chad Eztraffic Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you sell on Ebay, Amazon etc. and also have your own ecommerce website as well. Drive traffic to your website while banking on the sites mentioned. Because you will never know when they will ban you especially Ebay (my direct experience).

There are tons of other ways to advertise your products, start with this one.

Chad Eztraffic, Jan 2, 2014 IP
  5. WMADV WEBMEDIA

WMADV WEBMEDIA Member

Best Answers:
    We can recommend different free automatic sites' creation platforms like WIX.com to create your blog and after that you can buy targeted media
    from Google.

WMADV WEBMEDIA, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  6. Titus Warwick

Titus Warwick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you really have your heart set on a website/Blog then you have to figure out what keywords to rank for high in the google results page.

....but....may I make a suggestion? This is the type of product business you want to start on ebay. Ebay gets TONS of traffic and it costs pennies on the dollar to list and sell this type of stuff.

Ebay is the way to go with this in my opinion for now, and as you grow larger, make a website/blog and you can link it up with ebay as well.

Good luck!

Titus Warwick, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  7. Sean DeSilva

Sean DeSilva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would use the website to position her as a custom jewelry maker and consultant. Now she can both sell the products she makes as well as her expertise, which in itself could become a profitable income stream.

Sean DeSilva, Jan 13, 2014 IP
    LuckySamurai likes this.
  8. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    Pinterest is the best way to promote your products.

swasa, Jan 15, 2014 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For any type of product you want to sell or market, setting up your own website is the best way, if you can afford it. And the more visitors you get on your website, the more your business will flourish. I have posted some information regarding how to increase your website traffic here: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/posts/18846139/. Please check if you find it useful.
    I would suggest one more thing. Since you and your friend are into making and selling jewelery, handicrafts, wooden ornaments or items of similar kind, it would be very beneficial to remember that the visual aspect of such products plays a very important role in attracting customers to them. The more they are visually pleasing and attractive, the more a person would be tempted to buy them. One of the biggest advantages of internet marketing is that people are able to see the products you sell directly on your website, which saves them the trouble of physically going to stores and checking them out. That is why, make it a point to include captivating and appealing images and videos of every product you sell on your website, so that visitors viewing them feel like buying the products. And it is also possible to include a 3D preview if you wish!
    All the best! :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Content Maestro, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  10. LuckySamurai

LuckySamurai Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's a great idea to sell her expertise as well, thanks!

And thank you everyone else your comments have all been noted :)

We believe it's best to start out on Ebay like most of you have already suggested and then move up from there.

LuckySamurai, Jan 18, 2014 IP
  11. Amarkolom

Amarkolom Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Lucky,

If you wanna market jewelry product then after creating a blog you can find out some blog , forum related to jewelry and post your blog info there , you will get some valuable traffic to your site , who will be your customer easily :)

Amarkolom, Jan 18, 2014 IP
  12. smartfinds

smartfinds Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Lucky,

I found this PC World article that may be helpful:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/255698/the_5_best_online_marketplaces_for_selling_handmade_goods.html

...beyond Etsy, eBay and Amazon you could check out
    http://www.thegrommet.com/handcrafted

Hope this helps.

smartfinds, Jan 18, 2014 IP
  13. agmccall

agmccall Active Member

Best Answers:
    etsy.com is a auction site. Everything sold their has to be home made, hand crafted by the seller. This is a site that you will get some pretty targeted traffic

al

agmccall, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  14. Stuart Walker

Stuart Walker Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing as both of you are not experienced the best thing you can do is sell on established market place rather than trying to build up your own site from scratch.

So use Ebay, Amazon and Etsy to begin with. Their may be other niche specific places I am not aware of you'll have to look.

You should start trying to build up your own audiences on social media where your target audience can be found, whether that be Facebook, Pinterest, Twittwer, Tumblr or wherever they are.

Start a blog too and blog about the products and business. Get visitors through networking with other blogs in the niche, commenting on their posts, posting in relevant forums, sharing info and pics to busy social media group.

Stuart Walker, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  15. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1) There is a lot of useful information provided here on how to sell jewelry: http://www.launchgrowjoy.com/sell-jewelry-marketing/
    2) For selling customized jewelry, there are 4 alternatives to Etsy you can try: http://www.beadingdaily.com/blogs/d...business-of-jewelry-alternatives-to-etsy.aspx
    Also, you will find more here: http://ornatia2.blogspot.in/2010/08/places-to-sell-handmade-jewelry-online.html
    (This page also has some useful links related to selling jewelry.)
    3) Moreover, there are 29 marketplaces listed here where you can sell hand-crafted goods: http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/10/29-places-sell-handmade-creations.html.
    And here are 60: http://outright.com/blog/60-killer-places-to-promote-your-handmade-business/.
    Hope this is useful.:)

Content Maestro, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  16. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Custom stuff is great....

1: because it is unique, and not already all over the place...
    2: If is is made of quality material...
    3: If there is a demand for it....

Other then that, should do quite well over time....

dscurlock, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  17. levinsonjewelers

levinsonjewelers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    True because they know for specially Product Promotion..

levinsonjewelers, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  18. vats121

vats121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Etsy would be the best place to sell them.

vats121, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  19. vats121

vats121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    And Pinterest of course as it is used by the right demographic.

vats121, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  20. Joe@AdPatron

Joe@AdPatron Member

Best Answers:
    Don't tell people how to make it.

Joe@AdPatron, Jan 25, 2014 IP