1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Petition to revise the 'likes' system or remove it

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by evershawn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You should be able to post in the affiliate programs section (not counting starting new threads).

digitalpoint, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  2. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The like button is there not JUST for people giving info. One can earn likes in general conversation. So take your own advice...

indyonline, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
  4. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:

Yet another half witted post (nothing personal merlin77) saying that market place members don't contribute to DP and only 'your kind' does because only X is contributory in your opinion... I disagree with you and what YOU provide is not contributory in my opinion... Also, how would this post not be contributory? It's concerning something that I thought (and obviously others thought) was an important topic. What exactly is your definition of contribution? What misguided theory do you have on it exactly?

Contributed absolutely nothing?.... If I've contributed absolutely nothing my post count would be 0, my iTrader rating would be 0 and I would have not have signed up for this site yet, that's 0 contribution. On the other hand saying that I've contributed nothing to you, or nothing that you can use would be more accurate but not even completely true since I've contributed a thread for you to vent your 1 like having frustrations on.

Contribution? Matter of opinion and everyone knows opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and some of them are full of shit. As it stands my likes > your likes, so I think I've 'contributed' more than you have and DP's algorithm agrees with me. Or perhaps you could have the realization that you've just done nothing but complain yourself about the like system and then about me supposedly complaining about the likes system nearly all in the same paragraph... I think that deserves a trophy point...

evershawn, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  5. globalflex

globalflex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the heads up on V7N. I had always used DP for Logo contest and was not aware of this site. I truly appreciate the direction in finding a place to get a contest going as I have limited time on this project and was a bit dis-heartened with the new system. Oh well... the likes will come in time and it will all work out.

globalflex, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  6. globalflex

Best Answers:
    I checked out the V7N Forum but found no Logo Contest.... any other ideas (besides the payment for premium membership)

7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    http://99designs.com/

8. globalflex

Best Answers:
    Guess he was smart enough to start a thread that would get noticed... He got your attention...Got to like that!

9. globalflex

Best Answers:
    Thanks... thinking of giving this one a try http://www.48hourslogo.com/ anyone have any experience with it?

10. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @evershawn
    While I don't agree with your take on the topic, I must say that you articulate it very well and I commend you on your writing skills. I am at the very least, enjoying how you are defending your position.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  11. Ashley Miller

Ashley Miller Banned

Best Answers:
    Why isn't this thread closed already? When will people realise that the system is fine and seems to be working well for it's intended purpose? If you're that desperate for early access to the marketplace, simply buy a premium membership. Else, keep contributing great content and wait for the likes to slowly but surely accumulate on your account.

Ashley Miller, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  12. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:

Early access? Have you read anything other than the last post or two? This has nothing to do with early access unless early access means before a decade of membership to DP...

I think this was more one of these famous 'like me' quality content posts that this new system is designed to populate DP with.

Here's a contributory guide you've inspired, it's titled; "Getting likes on DP for Dummies" and I'll reference the above as a sample.

1) Find a popular recent thread

2) Post the most brown nosed reply to it that you can think of that relates to as much previous text as you can skim through in 5 seconds

3) Repeat until desired like count is achieved

Thanks for sharing Ashley Miller (18 y/o male according to profile) who registered less than a week ago. Your contribution to DP is invaluable and sincere. I'm glad the new filtering system is successfully filtering the low quality users such as yourself. Working as intended indeed.

indyonline likes this.
  13. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    They have been banned already so something is working. Although, since I got a PM begging for money I am going to assume others got it too and someone reported Ashley Miller (18 y/o male according to profile).

As far as easy way to get likes, yes it is true, take an extreme position either for or against something here and you are likely to get your likes. The position hardly matters. I just wish they would institute a "dislike" button so there would be a potential negative repercussion for posting crap.

browntwn, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and indyonline like this.
  14. evershawn

evershawn Banned

Best Answers:

Call it a hunch but I'm going to venture to guess that "Ashley's" banning had nothing to do with this fab new tech solution and more to do with good ole fashioned human moderation which would speak to the logic of this new system adding to the work load with the spammers and scammers rigorously posting garbage brown nosed replies all over to aggregate as many 'full' member accounts as they can.

I chalk a point in favor of this resolving nothing in order to defeat the undesirables and only pissing off old members. Harm 1 > Good 0

Oh ya, and I can tell you why they don't do this from first hand experience. The negative buttons get used 5 times as much as the positive ones and what you end up with is a shit load of legitimate members with negative reps because Joe has a quarrel with Bob and dislikes every post he makes, ect. It's much more in the nature of people to add a negative rating than a positive one for what ever reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
    Spoiltdiva and indyonline like this.
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    His banning would have been more work under the old system actually.

16. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @evershawn
    I heartily agree with the last part of your post pertaining to human nature. Why is it that people tend to accent the negative? Tragic but true......but alas, such are we mortals.:oops:

Spoiltdiva, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  17. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

The quality of posts on the whole is way up with the new system. After many years here it was becoming nearly unbearable for me to visit as there were so many very low quality posts. I mean pure nonsense it was obvious people were just posting to gin up a post count. At least with this new system people are making an effort to impart some quality in their posts.

browntwn, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  18. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I quite agree with the above, someone not coming around for a while, even though my english is not as good as this forum would expect at least I am making efforts and since the new system is in place, some topics are interesting (again). Anyway, I believe you can create hundreds of threds asking for petitions and call for Shawn to be "members" orientated (Since DP is one of the most visitied forum on the net I think he did enough since DP started) Nothing will change.

Let's go big, let's take Windows as an exemple, we are all (windows users) in hope that one day Windows will come as good as Mac, for years we have been waiting that, still, the big window creates OS that are good enough for average users

IG2010, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  19. Nucita

Nucita Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen this situation so many times in my life. someone decided to open a place where people receive some 'free benefits'. In order to keep quality, they change the place or service, and the ones who receive the benefit complain about changes. they easily forgot the benefits they have already received. they forgot so easily that THEY RECEIVED SOMETHING FOR FREE, at least be grateful, and respectful of the opportunity you got.
    everything in life changes. It is time to move on!!!

Nucita, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  20. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    see post #14...

indyonline, Mar 23, 2013 IP
    snakeair likes this.