1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules 9 Points For Like Trades I Never Did?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Helvetii, Jan 29, 2013.

I received 9 point infractions for allegedly trading likes.

- I have never done or asked for any like trade publicly or privately (if I have please show the PM or post)
    - People have asked me for likes but I never gave then any after the fact
    - I have never even received any like since the update
    - The last like I received was on 6th December
    - I never got any details for the infractions via mail (something wrong on your back-end, no mails in inbox or spam folder, I use gmail and get other mails from DP)
    - No alerts on DP for warnings either, WTF?

Please reverse the infractions and I'd like to know who gave me the infractions!

Helvetii, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  2. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    lol nobody is going to tell you who gave it to you... That was a waste of time to type...
    Maybe they felt you gave a like to somebody who didn't deserve it thinking you were falsely giving likes. Have you given any likes out since the new system?

indyonline, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think Indyonline is on to something. I don't know why but I can always speculate. If a mod feels that we are giving out likes too randomly we will probably hear from them. We need therefore to be careful that the mods will likely agree with our dispersal of likes.
    Let's be frank here, giving out likes to members who critisize the site and the mods is *probably* not good policy.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and indyonline like this.
  4. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have given some likes to people who posted against the "like" system.

I see a new rule has been added in the last couple of days:
    - Liking dumb things to try and help someone become established will get you banned

I don't understand, am I supposed to check the help page for new rules every day? Because its was not there till a few days back as again verified by seeing the google cache. No alerts, no announcements, no public post, just quietly adding a new rule.

And by what guidelines is something declared "dumb stuff"?

If someone with 0 likes write that he doesn't like this established member business and I like his post, do I get 9 points for "liking dumb stuff"?

And please fix the forums, no mails for warnings and can't even un-bold, remove underline in this editor!

5. indyonline

Best Answers:
    there actually was, I will look for the link.

But anyway, this rule had to be implemented because of people abusing the 'like' system.

Going to the thread and giving out likes to the people that were complaining about it is a good example. Most of them were just posting to try and gain likes.

Not saying I like all this, just letn ya know why it might have happened.

(side note)This system has the general chat forums blowing up with stupid threads in peoples attempts to gain likes.

6. slim

slim Active Member

Best Answers:
    The fact that this is imposed on people who are here to do Business on the market place is crazy.
    As buying selling and developing is my full time job I dont have time to go commenting on things I would not normally comment on.
    We all contribute in different way and Im here for Business Not social!!

slim, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  7. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like system is actually used if you really like something, a usefull post, using likes on post that says, we don't like likes because blah blah.. obviously it is not the way it should be used. This the only bit that mods and admin have to improve to be honest as the first geek who agree with a member who just introduce himself will give a like that is not even worth. Hundreds of members do not like the new system, ok, no need to like every single one of them, I believe once is well enough to express your opinion.

IG2010, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  8. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Well, you're not wanted here by users or the site owner if that's the case. This is a marketing forum not a market. The market place was added bonus for contributing members. Sorry, not to be a jerk but that is the truth.

9. indyonline

Best Answers:
    I agree mostly. But, if I like a comment somebody made, I'm going to 'like' it. I don't care if somebody don't agree or thinks I shouldn't have liked it. Even mods. I have seen some comments that had me lmao but didn't add valuable info to the site. I do however, not give likes to non established members unless their post is helpful in some way just to avoid giving them an easy way in.

Arick unirow and ryan_uk like this.
  10. slim

slim Active Member

Best Answers:
    I come on here and do quick business buying and selling, thats all I have time for, its my job.
    Unless I post something for the sole purpose of getting likes I would never get any likes as most the posts on the market place go to PM's
    Lets say I change the way I use this site and start posting just for the sake of getting likes. That will not add value to DP.

slim, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  11. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Then you will need to buy a premium membership (can't believe I just said that) to get around the 3 like rule.

Well, you would have to make sure to add some value. Make a good post. It's not hard really. Just post some helpful info that somebody might find helpful.
    BTW, there are other ways to get likes.

12. slim

slim Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that just because I use only one section of the site I am not welcome by the users or the admins? Is this the official line?
    Try telling that to the people who I have paid thousands of dollars to. Or those who have bought sites and domains off me and are now earning a living off them I still host many of the sites I sold on here for free to help people out. I think my good trader rating on here should hold more weight than a "like"

While Im here...

Unless someone was being really obnoxious I would never claim that they are not welcome here. Thankfully its rare that I come across obnoxious people on here.
    Maybe one a week so I'm clear for the next 7 days now. Thanks

slim, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    Helvetii likes this.
  13. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Slim, and business wise what is more valuable than a seller that gives away great tips? Maybe not about your business but how you succeed, I am pretty sure you would get Likes in no time and enjoy using the marketplace

IG2010, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.
  14. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Well, maybe I should have worded it differently but still the truth as per many users and the owners own words.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/no-longer-valuing-the-employer-on-dp.2629157/#post-18406980

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/why-buyer-struggle-to-get-likes.2631010/#post-18421952
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/i-cant-post-in-buy-sell-trade.2606754/page-3#post-18418519

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  15. PrometheusUK

PrometheusUK Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think this gets to the nub of the problem. Surely the very definition of a 'like' is that you like it. It's subjective. It doesn't mean anyone else is going to like or agree with you... Surely we're not going down the road of a mod penalising a user because they just don't agree with their point of view?

If a member is repeatedly abusing the 'like' system or giving out 'likes' for some sort of financial gain, fair enough, punish them... but I don't think we should have mods censoring our personal opinions over which posts we find useful/amusing or if we just want to 'like' a post that expresses a point of view that we agree with.

PrometheusUK, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    Helvetii likes this.
  16. indyonline

Best Answers:
    True. and they only give out penalties to obvious ones and to people asking for them.

17. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

This post deserves to be quoted in its entirety.

I hope there's an official reply to my issue. 9 POINTS seriously?

18. indyonline

Best Answers:
    https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/no-longer-valuing-the-employer-on-dp.2629157/#post-18406980
    read this thread/post

19. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The OP received a 9 point warning, this is a bit problematic. I assume that *some* members reading this thread may be fearful of giving out likes in the future, by virtue of the fact that a mod may disapprove. Perhaps Shawn could give mods deletion power?
    What I'm advocating is instead of warnings they would simply mark "Like deleted by mod". This would send out a clear message in short order about like protocol.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  20. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really doubt that will stop people behaviours, I believe being tough from the start is a better way to send a message.

IG2010, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    indyonline likes this.