1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

editors, take a look at this!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Laceygirl, Jan 5, 2012.

Laceygirl, Jan 5, 2012 IP
  2. john.c

john.c Active Member

Best Answers:
    john.c, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it made its way to google,but not the cache...

Qryztufre, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  4. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that's good they are on top of that.

Buddy was selling Dmoz listings for $20. lol

Laceygirl, Jan 6, 2012 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The DMOZ listings are sold all over the web in freelance sites. The fact that they are offering it for $20 now, it shows that senior editors are becoming desperate for some business.

gworld, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    More than likely its someone pretending to be a DMOZ Editor and scamming desperardos out of their $20. (lol) Its just too blatant to be a real post, no person would be that open and foolish because he cant help but get caught.

snooks, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Desperate people do desperate things. Just look at how many Senior editors have left because their income has gone done so much that is not worth it any more. Probably some senior editor down on his luck, needing a quick cash for Christmas shopping.

gworld, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  8. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So......this guy doesn't like senior editors.
    I believe you are correct.

Laceygirl, Jan 7, 2012 IP
  9. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google cache shows the post said:
    If you read the post properly, he was trying to sell DMOZ submissions. Quite a different thing to selling actual listings in the directory (which would have resulted in any associated editor account being removed).

photofox, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst I believe it was right to remove the thread, because it was designed to sound like selling a place in DMOZ,the reality was that it was asking for payment to tune up a site and then offer to the right category. The heading guaranteed a listing, but the text denied that and said that it would get listed BUT could not guarantee when a review would take place OR if it would then be accepted. So s/he was selling knowledge but dressed up the title like they were touting for payment to actually list a site.

It was probably a scam anyway,as payment did not mean anything, did it. Perhaps listed, perhaps not. Sort of thing that has been outlined before on here, where some guy offers to guarantee a listing, when it does not happen s/he give money back. For the few that get listed in the normal course of events at DMOZ,then the op gets his money for doing nothing.

They are all scams, pretty well.If you want to pay for someone to tune up your site and offer it to DMOZ, ask them to do it all BEFORE you pay. A fool and their money are soon parted is a very wise old English saying.

And remember trying to pay an editor to do a listing carries a penalty for the site of a permanent ban and the same for an editor, and to be any use an editor has to be able to edit in a widerange of categories. Ask yourself, 'did an editor spend many hours of free time dedicated to this project to lose it all for a few dollars?' Then ask yourself is this a scam and am I throwing good money at something that I have no hope of achieving what i want?

DMOZ is free to suggest to,it may or may not improve if your site is visited, but don't sweat it,suggest it and forget it.

Anonymously, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Erm, that is a load of CRAP if I EVER saw it!
    [h=3]DMOZ as an SEO/Linkbuilding tool, as claimed by an editor![/h]
    Is a thread I started YEARS ago, which every editor here on Digital Point defended tooth and nail saying that it's perfectly fine for a webmaster/linkbuilder/SEO professional to not only be an Editor, but to also sell his services.

There are also MANY other sites which offer ODP submissions for a price, which are not, and have not been under attack beyond the basic ""why pay for something that's free" argument.

If it's a scam to do say exactly what you are doing, then the ODP itself is nothing but a scam. The suggestion pool is OPTIONAL, which it certainly does not say on the ADD page, making that ever so misleading. If you suggest a site, and have to wait YEARS, then that too is a scam by any description. In fact, it also seems a bit like phishing, as you submit information with no ending result...

Again, there is NOTHING wrong with what the guy is doing, it's not against the rules of the ODP, it's not against the law, it's not misleading, and therefore it is in no way shape or form a scam.

So if this guy is doing something wrong, against the ODP guidelines, or scamming folks... then the guy I pointed out years ago clearly is also a scammer, but seemingly a scammer that is approved by the editors here posting from the ODP. Strange that you have such double standards!

And also note...
    In some cases, an editor's business affiliation overlaps their involvement in the directory, such as with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) professionals and Professional Content Providers (PCPs), whose participation may benefit both the editor and the directory.

Again, it's prefectly find to be a professional link builder and be an editor... and as link building normally includes directory submissions, and that the ODP is a directory, and that submitting to it would normally be part of the link builders job, its a win/win/win situation.

But all this has been gone over in that other thread, ya know, back when it was OK to submit to the ODP for money... I wonder when that changed? Oh that's right... it's that double standard thing again isn't it? WHats good for one editor, is not good for another. Such things happen ALL THE FREAKEN TIME, which is one of the reasons I suspect you post with your name hidden here, and why so many editors have been canned for doing exactly what is perfectly fine & normal for other editors.

You should be PROUD to work for such a place there Revr! It shows your Christian morals in their true light :D

Qryztufre, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  12. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess the facts always get in the way of a good story!

Agent000, Jan 8, 2012 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    But s/he did present it as though s/he were offering a guaranteed listing, so either way it was a scam.

Anonymously, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  14. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whoops!. lol, well this guy re enforced my point anyway:
    Honest mistake.

Laceygirl, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Indeed, as that is certainly what I got from this line:
    Please note that I cannot guarantee when your site would be reviewed or if it would be accepted, this depends on your website and the editor of the category selected.

Qryztufre, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Then re-read your own post here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2368896#post17180824

Anonymously, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sales pitch hype... always read the fine print.

Its kinda like how the front page of the OPD says that it's a human edited directory yet it has tens of thousands of bot edits. *shrug* Last I checked bots are not human. Guess that makes the ODP a scam. ;)

Qryztufre, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  18. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    rss-bot.jpg

yes we are!

joeventura, Jan 12, 2012 IP
  19. linkaway

linkaway Guest

Best Answers:
    Why so much commotion about the DMOZ anyway? It's just one crumby directory. If they can't do business straight out in an honest, efficient way, screw 'em. The DMOZ will continue to become less relevant as it gets more corrupt.
    There are too many other ways to get good links.

linkaway, Mar 6, 2012 IP
  20. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, and I'll add that DMOZ is not doing business at all anymore. Corruption, if there ever was any to sell worthless links to what would have to be some of the dimmest, most out-of-date webmasters on the planet, probably dried up somewhere back in 2004.

helleborine, Mar 7, 2012 IP