1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No Longer A "dofollow" Site

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Mightee

Mightee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes you've contributed a lot, with posts like "Thanks Frank. Those words motivate me"
    and "Thanks for the kind words. If you need help ask here." :)

had i been a mod, you would have got 2 infractions for that :)

@Rob
    Any plans to make V7n "nofollow"? :p

Mightee, Jul 5, 2011 IP
    ApocalypseXL likes this.
  2. laxman363

laxman363 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No surprise. Most of the people are mods puppets just like you. Whatever new thing shawn adds you are going to agree on that and are going to stay on their side. You skipped the longest thread of DP ( maybe ) to get some flaws to prove me wrong. Just to inform you no one in the thread said anything except great thraed etc, so you dont expect me to qoute their posts and say anything else than that.

laxman363, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you think nofollowing links is the only thing we do to try and combat spam, you are very mistaken. It's only one small thing of many.

Did you read the first post in this thread? lol

Agreed... it's definitely not going to change much overnight. It's more of a long-term thing.

Let's pretend for a moment you do remember it.... you would remember the servers weren't even for this forum primarily, they were for the free tools:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=4718
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=63695

Now, while we are in la-la land, I'm curious how you so vividly remember it when the last time it happened was 18 months before you registered? :)

Fairly certain that would make the problem *worse*, not better... people spamming useless posts in a race to get 4,000.

digitalpoint, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  4. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    lol.. thats the funniest comment in this thread. :D
    4000 just because you got 4K posts.:p

Digital_shubhi, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  5. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the page I seen http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/donate.html and it is still live so maybe it was started 18 months before I registered but It was after I had been a member here for a year by the time I seen it... So no need to "pretend".

"Someone dugg this article in the forums, it made it to digg.com's front page and within about 10 minutes the flood of digg users pushed the already overworked servers over the edge and seized up MySQL's 1,000 concurrent connections (not an easy feat). So that digg was the final straw for me, and now its time for new hardware."

and this

"Of course, it doesn't make good business sense to drop nearly $100k on new servers that are solely for tools and forum that are completely free."
    Sounds to me like it was for the site according to this.

But it don't really matter anyway. It's your site you will do as you wish. I just don't like the idea of nofollow sigs but If I want to use YOUR site I have to get over it. right?

and no, I don't think this is the only thing you do to "combat spam".

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    indyonline, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It *ended* 18 months before you registered, but it's beside the point really... and really had nothing to do with the forum. It was about running the free tools.

And we are talking about something that happened more than half a decade ago, which has nothing to do with nofollow/dofollow links in the forum. :)

7. thegoldmr

thegoldmr Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't surprise me. They want money from premium accounts.

thegoldmr, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  8. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't know that. Just remembered seeing it.
    Didn't know that either but as I stated in my above message. (which I was editting my post and adding it in while you replied)
    None of it matters.

indyonline, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Clearly...

If you think of other ways to allow dofollow links that a spammer would never be able to do, let me know. The premium membership thing is nothing more than a barrier that spammers aren't going to get through. It has nothing to do with me believing non-premium members are spammers. Some are, some aren't... but I don't think spammers are going to buy premium membership. If they *do* start buying premium membership, we will take further action because obviously that barrier doesn't work any longer.

10. Mightee

Mightee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Suggestions:
    1. Place a character-count check on posts, like a post must contains 200 characters if you are a newbie (account less then 1 year)
    2. You can allow dofollow sigs to members with reputation points greater than 300 for example. Spammers won't be able to get that higher rep points, i'm damn sure!

Mightee, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  11. GamingOn

GamingOn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When my magazine opens up I will have a premium account here there are great benefits to it. One benefit that would be nice is allowed to make duplicate threads. LOL. :D

GamingOn, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not opposed to "dofollow" links... but there is a certain point where the amount of effort trying to allow them just outweighs it all (effort being trying to control the spam/useless posts that it indirectly causes).

The effort involved with trying to pre-moderate every post, every signature link, etc. (and then going back and revalidating every link on a continuous basis in case the content of the page being linked to changed or is redirecting) is just too great, and not a realistic way to spend time. What would be amazingly nice is if Google offered a "Quality API", where you submit a URL, and Google returns a quality score... something like that would be terribly useful and would go a long way in trying to programmatically determine the quality of a page.

In the meantime, I'd rather spend time developing new features for users vs. reviewing millions and millions of links and posts for quality.

13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    But the free tools is what made this forum popular, and the forum was making money back then. This isn't just about nofollow, its about everything leading up to it and the direction you are heading with this forum.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Still don't see the connection... yes, the tools made the forum popular. We did take donations for those tools back in the day. Yes, the forum was making money back then (although not enough to buy servers).

Just don't see the connection between nofollow links and donations for servers a long time ago.

The direction we are headed with the forum is (hopefully) less spam and less useless posts.

15. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If you were a free forum, do what the hell you want, we would have nothing to complain about (even then I think it would be silly not to listen to users). But as soon as you start asking for donations (don't pretend the tools are separate to this forum, its what made this forum and without them you wouldn't have had the success you've had) and paid membership then it changes the dynamics of the forum. As soon as you start treating this like a business, you should have the member's best interests in mind, and deciding to go nofollow clearly goes against that. Surely, the admin of a webmaster forum would know that more then anyone else.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Less spam, less pointless posts *are* in the user's best interest.

nofollow might not be in the best interest of an individual user, but I'm not interested in the global good.

17. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes, but users/contributors are mutually exclusive, and dealing with spam goes with the territory of being a popular forum.

dcristo, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep, which is what we are doing.

19. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have better idea - make premium membership compulsorily. No dealing with "useless spam" and forum will be full of "quality threads".

According to Euler's formula (after adding / subtracting) in trigonometry = Premium Membership (cos x) + dofollow links (i sin x) = Less spam, less pointless posts (eix).

You can later solve this problem yourself using f(x) as constant function in (x) and the result will be 1.

nihangshah, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  20. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    lol what? you really do live on Pluto :)

dcristo, Jul 5, 2011 IP