1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Server Hardware For digitalpoint.com

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Nov 3, 2004.

Okay, here's the deal... the servers that digitalpoint.com resides on for all the various free stuff are getting to the point of being overloaded. 11 months ago I bought a new server (which was $3,500) to take some of the load of the keyword tracker, and now that one has been outgrown.

So sometime in the next few months, I'm most likely going to replace those servers with something that hopefully will never need to be upgraded again (massive overkill for the current needs... but those resource needs are growing daily). It's also part of the reason there has not been any major additions to the existing tools or new tools. I'm just worried about the resources required.

At this point, this is what I'm looking at:

Two dual 64-bit processor servers with hardware RAID 5 (1.2 TB of hot swappable disk space), 8GB RAM, dual gigabit ethernet, 1U case, etc. which runs $8,449.00 each ($16,898 for two).

The servers themselves have some impressive numbers... each with 9 Gigaflops of raw CPU power, disk I/O of 165MB/sec, etc.

Plus a spare parts kit in case anything fails (1 mother board, set of fans, power supply, etc.) which runs $1,099.

So a total of $17,997 plus tax which works out to a grand total of $19,391.77 is what I'm looking at.

The things that are the biggest resource hogs (in this order are):

While I'm not going to start charging for anything to cover the new hardware expenses, I wanted to get some input from people about thoughts on a simple donation system (all donations would go directly towards the new hardware, and once hardware was acquired, no further donations would be accepted) within the free tools.

There are enough users of the free tools that basically if everyone donated $0.50 one time, everything would be covered, although realistically that's not going to happen. :)

So I was trying to come up with some sort of incentive (other than people just want to be nice... heh), for example put up a "supporters" page within digitalpoint.com (the page itself could easily be PR6 out of the gate) where if you donate a certain amount, you get a permanent entry/link there.

Anyway... just thinking at this point. If you think it's stupid, let me know... if you have any thoughts/ideas, also let me know.

digitalpoint, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd definitely donate to you - the tools on here are awesome. I use the keyword tracker everyday (i'd pay more if i could get more than 1000 queries though LOL); also the keyword suggestion tool (If we donate, can we get a version that doesn't make us enter in the code?)

lorien1973, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Cool specs (can we pullease run the new Counterstrike on it?!! :) )

Donations:

They best-working donation systems I have seen is where it became a game with indeed, a reward/prize.

The coolest one IMO was one I participated in in Holland. Loosely translated it is called Shit Yourself Rich.

The way it works is that they put a cow in a field and divide the field up in little squares. Everyone can 'buy' one or more squares. When the cow takes a poo on your square... You win! :D Basically a lottery.

So how does that work here? I don't know!

All the tools have to do with SEO. Perhaps the donators can 'buy' a SERP; A projected ranking of the donation page Shawn will make. A new page so it will start ranking somewhere for a particular keyword. Shawn throws an unknown amount of links against it with that keyword in the anchor text and we have to guess where it will be on a given date. So we 'buy' the ranking. For instance, I bid $10 for #43 in Google World Wide. Now on the pre-set date, the ranking will be recorded and the closest wins. What do you win? That PR6 link you offered. And you get to spend the $$$ on hardware.

Pretty much like the Shit Yourself Rich game. Now it's 'SERP urself some PR'. That way we can have heated discussions for weeks about whether it will be sandboxed or not. And then, when some newbie wins, we can all go and hide in shame.

Easy to implement? For Shawn everything is easy... Just a form with your projected SEranking. And some rules/dates/keyword phrases. Doesn't have to be limited to 1 key phrase, just like the cow took multiple craps for multiple winners.

T0PS3O, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  4. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I've see the same sorts of issues before, where money was needed for a free site I visit daily, and I donated. So count me in. ;) As far as perks, I didn't really get anything good. Just supposed 'members only area' and my name color changed to orange for being a donating member.

I like your idea of a members PR6 page. :D But I'm also interested to see what others come up with.

TwisterMc, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  5. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    Irregardless or any perks/prizes for donating I would be happy to donate. I use Keyword tracker every day and even without that the benifits of the ad network are more then worth a donation. DO you accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express? :)

The links page sounds like a good idea as long as you don't wind up with 10,000 links on the page. :) Depending on how many participants you get you might even have multiple link pages with different projected page ranks. Kind of like a Platinum, Gold, Silver donation levels.

lowrider14044, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  6. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I will donate tell me where.

PR6 links sound great to me.
    I guess you could sell the PR6 for 6 months or 12 months with different prices.

Will you auction your old server after the move ?

sadcox66, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  7. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd me more than happy to donate regardless of incentive.

ResaleBroker, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No... the old server won't be thrown away... but probably be delegated to just serving up the static HTML portions of the site.

On thing I was thinking of is making certain donation levels also get minor features for the tools. For example, could make a system where a user gets a unique key (which is stored in a cookie) to do away with the image verification on the keyword suggestion tool.

Or another idea would be set it up where the keyword tracker automatically looks up your keywords each day to some extent. For example, have it do it for 7 days from the last time you logged in so it doesn't end up running millions of processes for users that abandoned their account and never logs in.

9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Why not give away the most popular "free tool" and start a membership program for the whole package of tools?

You can come up with different packages to give folks full access to each different package of tools.

Example # 1) package 1 includes 5 tools for $ 19.95 per year.

Example # 2) package 2 includes 10 tools for $ 29.00 per year.

Or, sell a lifetime membership to all Digital Point tools for a set amount $250.00 or so and this amount can change (the lifetime membership fee).

When you provide options like this it can work as folks can pick and choose what package is right and a mix and match (pick the tools you want in your packages) would be even better.

Folks would not resist something of this nature.

anthonycea, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah except if you read the original post it says I'm not going to start charging for anything.

11. clubbin714

clubbin714 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also donate to you. I think the link incentive is a great idea.

clubbin714, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I think your idea of "donate, get a link" would be good enough (with a minimum donation, so people don't donate $0.01 for a link). I think most people that use your tools will happily donate for nothing. I know that I will :) . See how that goes and if the donations are slow, then think of something else.

ViciousSummer, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  13. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Count me in. Where do I sign up?

mopacfan, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  14. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll happily donate with no incentive. That said, all the above incentive ideas sound like a good way to get others who wouldn't normally donate - to do so.

dazzlindonna, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  15. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm up for a donation, no strings... since hanging round here and using the tools I've gone from averaging a sale every few weeks to one or more a day (OK, switching from solely CDs to Mp3s helped, but I wouldn't be moving in the direction I am without the tools and the help). I'm not rich yet, but I reckon I owe you:D

If the Coop Ad Network does its stuff maybe you should tithe me :cool:

Trance-formation, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  16. yoook

yoook Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm ready to donate regardless of incentive. I'm a very happy everyday user of keyword tracker which saved me huge amount of effort and time. Thanks Shawn and You can count on at least 10$ from me. And I think a Thank You link page or some nice donation game could help those undecided to donate.

Yoook

yoook, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I probably visit dp (either the tools or the forum) as much if not more than any site on the net.

I'd be more than happy to donate $100 - any type of "reward" system aside. I've received far more than $100 worth of vlaue from your work and would consider it a privlage to help fund (even just a tiny amount) the hardware that will support the free tools & services we all have access to.

Let me know when and where and the donation is yours.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  18. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I heard anthony say he would donate his body to the cause. I think you would rather have $5.

Too bad you couldn't raffle off the old server. A "Friends" of DigitalPoint page definitely sounds attractive though.

Help Desk, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  19. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, just this forum alone that you provide for us free of charge everyday is enough cause for me to donate, as a way of saying thank you.

The PR6 link page is a great idea too!

Thanks Shawn. ;)

Colleen, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  20. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm with Guy..the time saved from the keyword tracker tool and the suggestion tool (not having to renew wordtracker each year saves $200 bucks or something right?) is well worth at least $100 or more without any benefit at all. Just need a little collection plate icon in the top of the page and it'd be full in no time, I'm sure ;)

lorien1973, Nov 3, 2004 IP