1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to get listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by twgil, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

That's what I read the suggested site guidelines as being.....will be interested in what you can find and I am sure Jim, as a very senior editor in DMOZ will be too!

Anonymously, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  2. BuyGifts.com

BuyGifts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok, I just visited and in one line it says, "Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted."

But think about this for a moment: If someone submits but they "never" hear back, wouldn't a reasonable individual assume that it may not have gone through or perhaps it was lost in the shuffle? Of course! After all, we are given nothing else to go on. There is nothing about how long it takes, nothing about what reasonable amount of time before you should be concerned, etc. (unless I've missed something) - There are no other options it seems. So to fault a person for resubmitting is irresponsible when in many cases (not all), they are simply using their best judgement given the facts at hand.

BuyGifts.com, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

But seemingly you didn't read my post...
    Or are you here just to start discussions in the middle of threads rather then actually complete them?

Its odd you can make any claims against me, yet you won't bother to actually back up your own when I ask.

I actually LIKE the ODP, and hope that one day it's as great as it once was... but with editors like you trolling in public places like this its going to be a very long road. Why is it OK to lie about me and to talk smack about the things I say, yet some how wrong when anyone says something TRUE about the ODP.

Go on, catch me in a lie. Yeah, yeah, I said 3-6000 edits a month, but I didn't see you bothered when Agent000 said it. Seems to me you are just doing your part to make ME look bad, when in truth you should be doing your best to make the ODP look good... and I've not seen you do that in a loooooooooong time.

And for the record...
    Who know if they want me back or not... I did reapply (as per YOUR request) but as always, the ODP's complete lack of communication has left me in the dark... so if you don't mind me asking, how is it you feel OK to ask me to back up my claims, then in the VERY SAME POST, say something you yourself can not back up? Strange that... ya know, how things work BOTH WAYS.

Kettle black?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    Qryztufre, Apr 25, 2011 IP
    China_girl likes this.
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So where did you read it is OK to re-submit? Just like so many posters make it up as you go along and mislead people into doing things that can dissadvantage a suggested site.

Now you might try and justify that any way you please, but re-submissions can seriously disadvantage them being reviewed up to the point of being banned.

Remember too, that DMOZ does not exist for webmasters to get their sites listed, we exist for people who want to use categorised data for searching the web. We also hope that people who search and find good sites that we should have will suggest them. Are you suggesting they are on the edge of their seat waiting to find out if their suggestion has been accepted?

Anonymously, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  5. cheesee

cheesee Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to know how you can tell if your site is rejected? I submitted my site to DMOZ a few months back, should I just re submit until I finally do get accepted?

cheesee, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  6. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Not only I'm suggesting that but I know that 99% of public has been doing just that.

I wish you had read carefully what BuyGifts says:

Lets face it DMOZ directory script sucks and BuyGifts highlighted why.

Any half decent directory script has option to reject submission if domain is already listed
    or waiting in pending bin for review and if DMOZ programers had any brains, they would add
    this simple function which would stop duplicate submissions once and for all.

And yes, rejection email too would bring some sanity into submission process.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  7. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well then the best way is to just submit the site and forget it, if you are lucky the site will be accepted and you will find yourself in the directory. And if you are not then just think that it is not important or valuable now-a-days :D

China_girl, Apr 25, 2011 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    See they have let you back on, how long for this time?

I think the best way would be for editors to find all their sites and turn off suggestions altogether, but sadly I lost that debate.

Anonymously, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Then how would the end user help out by suggesting relevant sites?

Though, I fully agree, the suggestions need to be nixed completely... as that would certainly help stop the belly aching by ignorant webmasters who think that getting into the ODP still means something.

Kettle black? Heres what ya said in the post you made before this one.

Careful, your double standards are showing again?

Besides, your name has been red before... so how long are you back this time?

Qryztufre, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  10. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    I can't see why DMOZ have to turn off suggestions if all it have to do is to make a couple of manor changes
    to the script it uses. I know we don't have even one duplicate submission in a last 10 years and sending
    rejected email makes webmasters to take a second look at what they have and think twice if their site is
    good enough to be listed in our directory.

After 12 years online it's about time ODP becomes a part of Internet Community and not some secret society.

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  11. BuyGifts.com

BuyGifts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more. This would simply be logical and fair.

BuyGifts.com, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If you don't like the way DMOZ is set up you can always become and editor, give up your spare time, and then you will have a say in what happens. Mostly we make decisions by reaching agreement. Just press the 'this category needs and editor' or 'volunteer to edit this category' button.Pass the test and start spending your spare time editing and getting belted for following your hobby.

Anonymously, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  13. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    When it comes to managing DMOZ, logical and fair is an oxymoron.

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I tried that remember? I got a LOT of slack trying to get things changed. I quit, and tried to get back in, yet no one there has bothered to accept or decline my reapplication.

How many things have been changed due to editors voicing their opinions? By the looks of it, more have left or got kicked out for such things. To top that off, editors cant change things anyway... only AOL staff can, and they are not around enough to actually notice.

Qryztufre, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  15. dischg

dischg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is there a way to check if you have already submitted a site to DMOZ?

dischg, May 1, 2011 IP
  16. ksi98

ksi98 Peon

Best Answers:
    How and where can I know if my site has been rejected? DMOZ doesn't want to take the trouble to notice about site rejecting

ksi98, May 2, 2011 IP
  17. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, May 2, 2011 IP
  18. yadavsarvesh10

yadavsarvesh10 Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ focus Category fist in directory submission ...............

yadavsarvesh10, May 11, 2011 IP
  19. ksi98

ksi98 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not clear. If I had submitted my site no way to find out the site has been reviewed or not. If my site is included in DMOZ, of course I can to find out. but it is not included I can't know that the site is rejected. How can I to know if my site was rejected?

ksi98, May 11, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You can, by checking if it is compliant with guidelines. If it is it waits a volunteer editor, working in their spare time, volunteering to edit that section and using the suggestions pool as their source. If it is not compliant when an editor does review it it will be rejected. We used to do site reviews about what had happened to a site at Resource Zone.com but it was found not to be helpful and merely generated heat so it was stopped.

If the site was rejected, then start again, tinkering will not get it accepted. So what would you gain by having the knowledge that it sits and waits and might do so for the next week, month, year, ten years...who knows or that it has been rejected and you had better start over if you want a chance to get a listing?

What would we loose? Well not a lot if it sits and waits, except all the cries about DMOZ editors being asleep and if we rejected it, you would be saying.."Why" ...and so more heat would be generated. Apart from that DMOZ was not set up to be a listing service for webmasters. We exist for those who want to use categorised data for searching the web, not for web masters to get some value from the listing.

Anonymously, May 11, 2011 IP