1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to get listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by twgil, Apr 14, 2011.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes we are :)

jimnoble, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  2. netkonect76

netkonect76 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I submitted a few sites a couple of years ago and then just all of a sudden they stopped adding new sites. Don't know if there are accepting again, but I tried a few months back, with no results.

netkonect76, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If no results means they are not yet listed, then that is no surprise. It can take from a few days to a few years for that all important editor review for a possible listing. Are we taking more suggestions, well my greens (suggested sites) have increased so we must be.

Anonymously, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  4. webrules

webrules Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted one site to right category, but don't know is it waiting for approval or rejected. Now i dont have a headache with DOMZ.

webrules, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If it complies with our guidelines then the site is waiting approval, if it doesn't then it will or has been rejected. Check out for yourself by reading the guidelines http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Anonymously, Apr 18, 2011 IP
  6. brainmasterinfo

brainmasterinfo Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz rarely accepts new listings. so it is futile waste of time and money trying to get into dmoz. rather try other SEO methods to get good traffic.

brainmasterinfo, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  7. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since when is 3000-6000 new listings a month "rarely accepts". Care to explain?

Agent000, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  8. masterjere

masterjere Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with the other 2 so far DMOZ submissions are not what they use to be and really aren't as important anymore. If you are doing all your submissions MANUALLY (never automatic, Google can sniff that from a mile away, and never hundreds at a time, google can also tell that it is "artificial" growth... but in any event, just make sure your sticking to your niche, going to the highest your highest PR niche sites stay active, and your site will grow and eventually you'll have a PR that will warrant putting you on DMOZ regardless....

Cheers,

Jeremiah
    TheNerdBlurb.Com

masterjere, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  9. masterjere

masterjere Peon

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to add too, you should really focus on "directory sites" and if your really desperate to get a backlink from "google" specifically, you can get one through google knol or google orkut or even better go to google.com/profiles and that will let you create a back-link that's direct from google... All those will do the trick if your just trying to get a "google specific" backlink....

Cheers,

Jeremiah
    TheNerdBlurb.Com

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    masterjere, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  10. nyssa

nyssa Member

Best Answers:
    I am interesting to become editor like Jim, a fair editor, next year I'll complete my Bachelor in Computer Science then I will apply for DMOZ editor and wanna be editor like Jim.

nyssa, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you search in google for paid dmoz listing you'll get about 848,000 results (in 0.34 seconds)... that's just one topic, so as you can see there are PLENTLY of sites out there still waiting for approval! (and surprisingly enough there isn't even a category for that yet).

and with all the pages out there, 3,000-6,000 is just a drop in the bucket. I'm sure editors alone own that many pages...

and note, I am saying pages, as listing pages is more then fine... I'm not talking sites, and unless you can prove otherwise, you are not talking sites either :p

Qryztufre, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    It is a drop in the bucket, we never claim otherw ise.

But would you care to try and prove that editors have 3000 - 6000 sites for listing every month. Or is that just more conjecture, as usual to try and slur a project that you spend a lot of time nit picking over on here. I am glad I have better things to do than try and lie about a project that I don't like, even if I don't like them enough because they don't seem to want me back. Oops that sounds close to the bone.

Anonymously, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  13. hostmebiatch

hostmebiatch Peon

Best Answers:
    More contents in your site and correct category, the more you get accepted

hostmebiatch, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  14. Time_2_Mobilize

Time_2_Mobilize Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been able to get websites listed on DMOZ, of course it's been years ago, I suppose I have just quit trying now that it seems largely irrelevant. Wish I had more advice for you than that.

Time_2_Mobilize, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are correct... it was a slur, and I am sorry for perpetuating it... you can blame Agent000.

Though, as you are claiming it's more (or less?) can you give better numbers? And maybe back it up with some proof? If ya can't I'm sure that Agent000's guess was as good as any.

Qryztufre, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  16. roshanindia

roshanindia Member

Best Answers:
    I tired to submit one of my PR1 website to list on dmoz, but it got rejected . Since then, i am very lazy to fillout hte submission form. Will surely submit once more after few days. One of my friend has given out some suggestions which i will follow and see whether it will work.... :)

roshanindia, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  17. BuyGifts.com

BuyGifts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In this economy, I would be willing to guess that they are underfunded as well as understaffed. That said, I'm a proponent for "leave no stone unturned" so if it doesn't cost anything to submit and yes, perhaps submit again, then what's all the fuss? Like someone said, just submit it and forget it. Then revisit it months later and submit again. If you're doing everything right, it will eventually get listed.

I have some of my older sites listed. Recently we have a new site that's been submitted twice and we're still waiting. I'm not expecting it to happen anytime soon so my hopes are not up. I do think Dmoz has value with regard to heavy link juice due to the fact that it's such an old and popular directory but that's another debate.

BuyGifts.com, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  18. BuyGifts.com

BuyGifts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here's a friendly tip for you: "I am very lazy" doesn't usually equate to "success".

19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But it does cost something.

The least cost is that, since a re-suggestion overwrites any earlier suggestion, if the editor sorts the pool awaiting evaluation in date order, you've just increased the elapsed time.

The next most cheapest case is that you might increase the editorial workload, thus increasing elapsed times for everybody. It's a serious problem from our point of view and, when I detect it, I ensure that the offender doesn't profit by it..

The most expensive case (from your point of view) is that you get banned as a spammer.

Here's a friendly tip for you. Follow the suggestion guidelines that you read and agree each time and suggest your website just once to the one best category. That's it. There's nothing else you can do that doesn't have the potential to seriously harm your position.

jimnoble, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  20. BuyGifts.com

BuyGifts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I did read the guidelines Jim. They suggest resubmitting after a period of time. What that time is, I'd have to go back and look but I would never recommend anyone do anything other than what the site itself recommends.

Here is a wonderful quote about humility: “To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them.” - Charles de Montesquieu