1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quadrupled my CTR thanks to DP members.

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Critters, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ezo

Ezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are we allowed to pace images near ads? on the Site Point forums i read that people got banned for that...?

Ezo, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  2. Set

Set Peon

Best Answers:
    Read the thread.

Set, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  3. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, if you read enough, you will figure it out. There's a lot more to placing images by the ads than simply placing images by your ads :D

MTbiker, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  4. dinarpw

dinarpw Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a problem putting an image above adsense. It keeps showing up side by side to the ads instead of above them. I eventually put the image below the ads like this http://www.financialfreedomawaits.com (scroll down to the bottom of page). How do you get the image above the ads?

dinarpw, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  5. dinarpw

dinarpw Guest

Best Answers:
    Here is the code that I tried to put image above my adsense.

Where did I do wrong?

dinarpw, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  6. photogasm

photogasm Guest

Best Answers:
    so it's against the TOS if i place images directly next to my ads if i dont place a line between them?

photogasm, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  7. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's what AdSense Support has said to many publishers: any kind of visible border between ads and images, such as a line, or a rectangle, or a different background color, etc.

-------

BTW, a note to Critters: Please, I think it's really, really necessary that you add, with an image editor, an update note to the images on the first post (May 26th 2005) of this record-long thread, with the current Google's requirement of a visible differentiation (border, etc.) between ads and images.

It's happening that many publishers are reading only that well-known first message, and of course not the following 1,166. Therefore, they don't use the required border, etc., and in many cases receive a warning from Google. You can prevent a great part of these problems by just adding that update note on the images. Thank you very much for this and for everything, Critters.

Juan G, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  8. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    I think only a moderator can edit an old post.

www.AmCy.org, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  9. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but the images of the first post are on Critters' server. He can add an update note with an image editor.

Juan G, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  10. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    Yes, I see what you mean. It's a good idea.

www.AmCy.org, Oct 19, 2006 IP
    Critters likes this.
  11. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Can a mod please give me the ability to edit the first post.. I will then update the text as well as the image to reflect the following:

1. Not using misleading images
    2. Leaving a visible border/gap

I can change the image, but I can not edit the text. If this is something a mod can not enable if they could PM me and I could reply with the text they can copy paste over the original first thread.

Thanks, and it is great to see that so many people have benefited from this since I wrote about it 17 months ago! (or 859,223 drawings of pigs ago if you prefer)

Take care.
    --
    Dave

Critters, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  12. pixads

pixads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    is this the biggest post on this forum?

pixads, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  13. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Now it is. Your post was equalling the record.

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That would take 1000+ posts out of their original context. I realize it would be nice and easy to do but I personally don't feel it's right.

Take risk!

T0PS3O, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  15. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    maybe on the first post I could add an index to when major things were changed? Or should we say "sod it, if they cant be arsed to read it all (or read the last pages where it talks about updating it) then bugger them" :)

TBH, if I saw a post with this many replies I would not read it all, but I would jump to the end to see what they were still talking about.

Take 5
    --
    Dave

Critters, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  16. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    How about you make an external page with the timeline/info and then I'll add it to the first post? That way the thread itself keeps its 'integrity' (we only add one sentence with a link) and you have full control over the external page.

T0PS3O, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  17. pixads

pixads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Critters: How is your CTR now :)

pixads, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  18. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Juan G, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  19. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Naturally, also in many places like here on Digital Point forums we can often find examples about the image requirements (so that publishers can use this technique to reduce ad blindness, but without confusing users), such as this recent email from Google AdSense support:

For those publishers using this thread's technique in Yahoo! Publisher Network, they also forbid images directly next to ads without a differentiation between ads and images, and -in the same way of Google AdSense- they too require a separation (border) such as a line, or a different background color, etc. For example, from a YPN's email:

Many publishers who follow only the well-known first message of this long thread without the updated image requirements, and therefore don't use a differentiation like borders to separate ads and images, often -according to their posts on forums, etc., but of course in an unknown percentage of cases- see their EPC go down after a time from smart pricing, and many also receive serious warnings from AdSense, and similar ones from YPN.

As I mentioned on another thread, in these cases, now the publisher seems to lose trust and, instead of taking time to correct it, is simply asked by Support to remove those closely integrated images. We need to do it correctly from the start to receive an OK. Remember that trying to reduce ad blindness (in a similar way to following Google's heat maps, etc.) is legitimate, but confusing users is not.

Google's smart pricing lets us know if we are doing it correctly or not. It's all right if we keep conversions for advertisers and therefore a healthy EPC in the long term, like the publishers who follow Google's guidelines of enough differentiation between ads and images. These publishers seem to be doing well, even for over a year now, especially if we use appropriate images, that is on-topic but general (not too product-specific) images that are fine for our sites even if we don't show ads.

On the other hand, there seems to be also some (again, we don't know the percentage) of those not following the guidelines on borders who say to be doing well for now, keeping a good EPC and therefore conversions (probably depending on the images used), but naturally they can receive a warning anytime, since the guidelines establish a safe way that must be followed.

It's true that Google has been testing experimental ad units with images next to ads (see screenshots on Digital Point, ProBlogger, JenSense...), and that also Yahoo is using something similar on the CNN US Edition (see "advertiser links" -from Yahoo- on the home page, near the bottom) since last year, after this DP thread appeared.

However both, Google and Yahoo, are requiring a differentiation between ads and images to the publishers using their ad networks, surely because those images are not served by them and therefore must not appear like forming part of the ads. Hence the required borders, etc.

Juan G, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  20. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For those who work with Mambo/Joomla CMS:
    There is a module for it "Ad Sense Booster V.1.0" works great and it has already a visible border in it.

It looks good on my site.
    Here is attached a screenshot.

http://www.joomlahax.com/downloads/3.html

Attached Files:

Wally, Oct 22, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.