1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feature Thread Sort Order

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You betcha! Keep it on topic and constructive please, and as I mentioned in that previous post some aspects of your deleted post simply aren't allowed. *pat on the back* for the creativity though. ;)

On another note, for those who have been questioning using sigs to promote sales threads, I just wanted to point out that I added one to my own as an example. I know it's not the perfect example because the design forum isn't cycling through as quickly as others, but it's a rough example of using concise copy to make it clear what you're looking for / offering, which is what you need to do to get people to click. Vague links or something overly generic (like "coder needed") won't work as well. If I were the seller in this case, I'd go even more specific and list a price or price range (or some other factor that could be considered a USP or value point to prospective buyers). Just some quick tips on making the sig links work for you. :)

jhmattern, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  2. jackieh1791

jackieh1791 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have time to read through all the posts in this thread. I'm just going to beg: would you please just go back to the old way? This is not the standard way threads are listed on forums and it's very confusing. It was fine just the way it was.

And another thing, I'm getting a little tired of having to log in over and over and I am not the only one who has had this problem. Is there something I can do on my end to resolve it?

Oh, and one more thing. What is up with all the annoying ads?

OK. I'm done complaining now. :)

jackieh1791, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    mdvasanth86 likes this.
  3. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    If it was fine the way it was, a change probably never would have been made. Give it some time and learn to adapt your method to it, and try to make it work for you (will.spencer gave some tips on that earlier in the thread).

Try checking the "remember me" box when you login. It's not a perfect solution (and you won't want to do that on a public computer), but it seems to help a lot of members who have that login problem (including me).

4. akki313

akki313 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there even a single seller who is satisfied with this system?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    akki313, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  5. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem: sellers do not all have 8K posts as you do to succefully draw some attention to their sig ;)

Yet to find one.

goscript, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  6. akki313

Best Answers:
    Nor many of them have time to increase their post count in any of the DP's forum. Haha.. I am glad that I have as I am DP addict. :D

I am waiting..... :p

akki313, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    The old posts do very little to help unless they're in still-popular threads (and I can tell you mine are not - most in the copywriting forum where I post die off relatively quickly).

What matters is staying visible. So for example, you might post decent and thoughtful responses in 2-3 threads in the most relevant section each day. When people see that you consistently contribute and show that you know what you're talking about in that area, they're more likely to approach you privately. I've been doing business here since I was brand new. I didn't always have 7k+ posts. I started off going the typical BST route, and I realized pretty quickly there had to be a better way. I started posting in press release-oriented threads whenever they popped up then, since it was an area of expertise and a service I offered, and orders took off.

I'm lucky I even have time to sleep half the time! What worked for me was A) limiting the communities I'm involved with - a choice few instead of trying to be everywhere and B) factoring time spent on DP into my marketing / networking schedule. I know if I spend too much time on here, I sacrifice other marketing and networking (which is sometimes worth it and sometimes not), and I also know that if I'm launching a marketing / PR campaign in another area, it means less time on DP while that's happening. It's all in how you look at it. But yes, being a DP addict certainly won't hurt. :)

8. akki313

Best Answers:
    I have read many replies here and talked to many of our fellow DP members, I think none of them is satisfied with this system ( I am not talking about only sellers, I am talking about DP members regardless whether they are seller or buyers).

Just want to ask two questions:

Q1. What's the advantage of implementing such rule if your countrymen are not happy and satisfied?
    Q2. Do we came to the conclusion that to off shed their loads DP admin and moderators are playing with members here?

** no hard feelings.. just want to clarify my doubts..

akki313, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  9. daremkd

daremkd Peon

Best Answers:
    I just want to drop a nut here for whats going on cause of this change

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=11663036 seller scamming here

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1441875 then goes on to scam more her with search for dealk most likley being a dupe account

Not to bitch or anything but with the normal thread order people would have been much more likely aware as people "bump" the thread to expose people just as much (legitamate?) as they would a legit sales thread
    besides the fact that i think you should ban scammers period...like that guy(for example)

daremkd, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  10. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok here's the thing. This isn't my forum to get the things reverted in a snap or something.

Shawn and the team, you go ahead and see the effects that would be caused by it.
    If the response is positive we're cool too.
    If not I hope you guys will change it back..

It's a rule for everybody so I can stop being nervous and all lol :p

SOULZRIPPER, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    First, you can't judge what all or none of the members here think based on feedback immediately after a change. That's because not only do comments so far reflect a very small portion of members, but you also have to keep in mind that people who don't really mind the changes aren't going to feel as inclined to post about them. Unhappy people are always louder, but it's no sign they represent everyone. Saying none are happy about it certainly isn't true though (as per posts alone).

You're also complaining before even having time to attempt to adapt. Changes are a fact of life. That's especially true when you choose to rely on third party services like DP. When you give it time and have tried to adapt to it, then tell us what you think about it. I'd bet quite a few people learn to like it. Not just pulling that out of thin air, but from the reactions of the writers I mentioned previously who I've taught to work that way before the changes - not one has chosen to go back to using BST the old way.

As for off-shedding our loads at your expense, that's not exactly true either. We're trying to keep it cleaner. People did nothing but bitch about BST in the old format, and now they're doing it with the new setup. And despite how many people are saying they'd be ok with a paid BST section, I guarantee if it goes that way just as many people will moan about that (even if not the same people posting about this change now). Does this change make it easier on mods? In some ways yes, and in some ways no. Duplicate threads will be easier to find than all of the bumps, but that also doesn't mean that the bumps are allowed. We're still dealing with both of them just as we were before - we're just looking at a cleaner BST in the process.

@logoboy - If you suspect someone of being a dupe, please PM one of us or use the report post button, and include any evidence you have. Then we can deal with that as usual. Scammers aren't new because of the change. There are some we can verify and deal with (like warez selling) and there are some that are a case of business deals gone bad which are for members to work out amongst themselves (yes, it sucks - I had a coder take the money and run recently, so I feel people's pain - such is life). If something's going on that we can deal with, the member is banned or gets an infraction (depends on what it is).

EDIT: Just looked at the threads you mentioned. That's really nothing new as far as people being accused of something in one thread and moving on with another service thread for something. In this case, there aren't any scamming issues that we can act on (the second thread didn't even appear to have any real reviews to look at for example - just criticism based on the first thread, which isn't really allowed anyway). But you could have reported it for at least telling everyone to bump (even telling them specifically how he wanted them to do it b/c they thought they wouldn't get banned lol). At least that's enough to get a thread closed. Not a perfect situation, but it's at least actionable. Will look into the dupe account question between op and questionable reviewer, but nothing obvious on the surface. If it's another account you think they're a dupe with, PM me about it.

@soulzripper - I don't think anyone's saying this is absolutely 100% going to be a permanent change. We're just saying there are benefits to this that not everyone is looking at, that people should adapt and try to get the most out of it that they can (within the rules obviously), and to give it time while others adjust before judging it.

12. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    The only people I see complaining about this format change are the members who chronically bump their threads...

Please correct me if that is an incorrect observation.

TikTok, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  13. akki313

Best Answers:
    Ok Mods you succeeded in keeping my mouth shut (already received few infractions for no reason :mad:)
    I won't complain.. already shut my mouth

My personal experience by posting here: DP mods have really very nice way to answering any questions made by user (giving them useless infraction). Nice way to express yourself.

Now what as AaRGeE said, we have two choices live or leave.
    I also prefer to live rather than leave coz I am nothing without DP.

Just a simple advice to members who are posting here: Please don't waste your time here, there is no reason for posting such big big posts here. They have many infractions to our each question.

To Mods: I am not running my post count... huhh.. I don't give a damn to it.. Delete all my posts.. who cares.. atleast not me.. I will die as a martyr.. :D

akki313, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  14. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I have mentioned I finally made up my mind about it ;)

So we'll definitely be there when it's gonna impact positively or negatively perhaps..

SOULZRIPPER, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  15. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I can correct you. I am not pleased with the change and I have received no bump infraction for 1 year and a half.

The question here is: what is more important? The happiness of thousands of members or the one of a hand of people (admin+mods) ?

This is my last post into this thread as well as we cannot share our opinion without receiving a negative answer, so what's the point?

It's your decision, you rule..so be it.

GoScript

goscript, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  16. AaRGeE

AaRGeE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    can you name me any Mod who does not bumped there threads in past?
    How many service you give in DP and where?

AaRGeE, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  17. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    We already have rules in place regarding complaining about infractions, even when you complain about them passive-aggressively.

It's annoying, it's unnecessary, and it just shouts out to the whole forum how puerile and immature you are being.

If you have a question regarding an infraction, PM a mod. Don't use it as an opportunity to post and spew out your quasi-pacifist opinions.

TikTok, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  18. radio

radio Peon

Best Answers:
    always makes me laugh when people complain about the rules when we play in other people's backyard. whether it's selling on DP, on eBay, or creating profiles on facebook or twitter - at the end of the day - you're stuck w/ what the site operator wants to do (or doesn't want you to do)... and there's not much recourse. know ahead of time that you don't have any power/control (other than to leave) and don't get too heavily invested in one form of promotion / sales.

radio, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  19. E-IndiaWeb

E-IndiaWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If i want to search craigslist thing in BST, I use search with this keyword and this search will include results saying "Its noting to do with craigslist" .

E-IndiaWeb, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  20. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    getjimmy, Aug 3, 2009 IP