1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Further interesting discoveries: differences between FF and IE

Discussion in 'CSS' started by tayiper, May 28, 2006.

You see, my main problem is for quite some time now (i.e. I know for it for quite some time, assumingly since I've changed something; I don't know what it was though), that in Firefox the text on my home-site's pages is nicely sorted in the middle of browsers window (see the page in full-screen to fully understand what I mean), while in IE, it's sorted to the left. For instance, see http://users.volja.net/tayiper/intro.html (one layout/design) or http://users.volja.net/tayiper/other/specs.html (the other layout/design) pages. But this is only the beginning, i.e. only a part of the problem ...

1. As first, if you compare the "[ Jump to bottom ]" or "[ Return to top ]" in-page links on any of the pages linked above, you'll see that they also behave differently, i.e. in FF they nicely stay in the middle of the window, while in IE it's somehow different (please, check out for yourself)

2. Further, I also noticed few differences between the two variants of my pages (i.e. again, see those two links above in full-screen), namely that on the "specs.html" page liked above (if viewed in IE, and only in IE), the top Google AdSense ad and the InternetTrafficReport are somehow not aligned correctly. Anyway, I luckily discovered yesterday that I can fix this by adding the "<div class="align">" around them (which is basically states: "text-align: center;") as it is on the "intro.html" page in similar banner's case; again, the both elements are displayed completely OK in Firefox.

3. And now to my main problem. You see, it's that the "marquee.js" script on the http://users.volja.net/tayiper/index.html page, and the "pool" on the http://users.volja.net/tayiper/pool.html page need to have the following code (see below, I pasted only the div-code infront of the actual script-code), i.e. they must be inside these two divs below to be displayed on the middle of the window in Firefox.

marquee script's code:

<div style="width:460px; margin:0 auto;">
    Code (markup):
    the code of the "pool":

<div style="width:200px; margin:0 auto;">
    Code (markup):
    But you see, the problem is that if I do use this particular code (which as mentioned is the only one to display them in middle of the window in Firefox), then they are not in the middle in IE. While reverserly, if I use the "<div class="align">" class instead, they are displayed correctly in IE (as they should; in the middle) but not anymore in Firefox. Here is also a link to my "style.css"file: http://users.volja.net/tayiper/style.css, for you to see all the related code.

So far, I haven't found a way to diplay them (i.e. the "marquee" and pool) correctly in both browsers !!

P.S. -- Again, if you want to check out the: Few things that are different in FF compare to IE and Margins and padding; again IE's display compare to Firefox's one threads that I opened here on DP forums back then, both about the very similar problems.

tayiper

tayiper, May 28, 2006 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For one problem, remove the xml declaration/prolog. It is not needed and it causes IE to run in quirks mode. In quirks, 'auto' is not supported, and the wrong box model is used. In other words, IE is even less compliant and more buggy.

Another opportunity for error lies in the invalid html markup. Check the validity and correct the errors.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, May 28, 2006 IP
  3. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    tayiper, May 28, 2006 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good on fixing the errors. You cannot debug an invalid page with any certainty of results.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, May 28, 2006 IP
  5. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    /EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention for the first problem above (in the original post), that you need to check it out for yourself by toogling the full-screen on and off ...

... and btw. the site is W3C-valid in the original form (i.e. "locally" as it is stored on my hard-disk), but the code that this particular free-host adds unfortunately screws the otherwise valid syntax !!

tayiper

tayiper, May 29, 2006 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then find a better host. When I see the page, it is with all the added ugliness, including being in quirks mode in IE. I am not working off your disk drive.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, May 29, 2006 IP