1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Few things that are different in FF compare to IE

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by tayiper, Apr 29, 2006.

I've just read some article, and so I decided to try to use the "margin-left" and "margin-right" properties (for the "body" selector in particular) in my home-site's external .css file, as an addition to "padding" for the main div-class; please see also the additional question below ...

The part of code now looks like this:

body { margin-left: 4%; margin-right: 4%; }
    Code (markup):
    ... and IE surely displays it correctly (i.e. margin on left and right side), however with Firefox, I just don't seem to see this "effect". Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that it sets the margin only to the left side.

/EDIT: Oh, I see now that maybe it's not so (as I wrote above), i.e. maybe that is caused by my div.master class, also defined/declared (which one is the right term ??) in an external .css file.

The line of in question is the following:

div.master { font: 12px verdana; padding: 0 1em; }
    Code (markup):

Well, and one more thing: what's in general the difference between the "padding" and "margin" (left/right) properties ?? I mean, I remember that some time ago, when my home-site has totally different design (also, I used "internal" and even some "in-line" CSS-styling back then), the value of padding property for my main div element that more or less "enfolded" the whole document, caused the "padding effect" (I call it "intendation") on both sides and in both browsers.

P.S. -- Oh and since I am already mentioning the differences in irefox and IE renedring/displaying of pages, here's jet another example. Firefox doesn't want to show the text in case of "mouse-events" for input elements in the status-bar same as IE does. First I though that this is maybe a non-standard behaviour (or something), but was later told that this is just an option in the FF's preferences, i.e. the one that defaults to "Prevent scripts from changing status text" because that functionality is commonly used for phishing (and I surely also set it like that permanetnly in my "user.js" file)

Here's an example of the code in question:

<input type=submit onmouseover='window.status="Filled all the required fields?";' onmouseout='window.status="";'>
    Code (markup):

thanks in advance, tayiper

tayiper, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  2. JudyJiaStyle

JudyJiaStyle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think for the margin vs. padding, you can see the difference best when you are using a border. If you use border and use margin, there will be spacing outside the border, if you use padding, there will be spacing inside the border.

I'm not sure about the other question.

JudyJiaStyle, Apr 29, 2006 IP