1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Main differences between SEO for Yahoo and Google?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Pizdets, Feb 13, 2008.

I have been generally ignoring Yahoo until now.

Today, out of curiosity, I checked to see how my sites rank for my main keywords and well - they don't. They are there, just not where I want them to be, nowhere near the rank on Google.

So I am wondering what are the main differences between SEO for Google and SEO for Yahoo?

Thanks

Pizdets, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  2. sarahFreder

sarahFreder Peon

Best Answers:
    There is lot of different in optimising a site for yahoo and google.

i came to know that many people would love to rank top in google to get more visitors for their site to convert customers because at present 80% of searchers are using Google and 20% are searching through yahoo.

sarahFreder, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  3. anglefourfivemedia

anglefourfivemedia Banned

Best Answers:
    links weigh in more with google than with yahoo.

anglefourfivemedia, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  4. okgaz

okgaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So does that mean that yahoo pays more attention to the page content?

---------

okgaz, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  5. Gatorade

Gatorade Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone really answered the question that was asked. It's the same with my sites as well.

Gatorade, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  6. shaila

shaila Guest

Best Answers:
    SEO for Google is more focus for off-page optimization or the inbound links to your site
    SEO for Yahoo is more focus for on-page optimization which about in the use of keywords and content.

shaila, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  7. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    there is many different in ggogle and yahoo SEO . but until now dont get any clear idea. i saw many site whci have tp rank in yahoo and google. #1, #2 same in google and yahoo. But my site and some others find too much differnt..

rena, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  8. schnapster

schnapster Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't forget that Yahoo offers Paid Inclusion, basically a service that allows paid listings to rank in the organic listings. That makes focusing on SEO for Yahoo even less important (unless of course you are willing to pay per click).

schnapster, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  9. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know the answer to this question, however, when I was wondering about how to do SEO myself, I made up a simple file (header.php) that is rendered on each page of my online shopping malls.

<html>
    <head>

<title>TITLE</title>

<base href="http://www.yoursite.com">
    	<link rel="stylesheet" title="---" href="---.css" type="text/css" media="screen, projector">
    	<link rel="stylesheet" title="---" href="/rss/demo/for_the_demo/simplepie.css" type="text/css" media="screen, projector">
    	<link rel="stylesheet" title="---" href="---.css" type="text/css" media="screen">
    	<link rel="stylesheet" title="---" href="---.css" type="text/css" media="print">
    	<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    	<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
    	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<meta name="author" content="---">
    	<meta name="robots" content="all, index, follow">
    	<meta name="description" content="This is the sentence that will appear under your Title Tag on the search engines results page.">
    	<meta name="keywords" content="Use anchor text found on the particular page here as well as what you think people will type into SE's to find your site.">
    	<meta name="abstract" content="Re-state the description using different words.">

<!-- Write a Short Sentence here, to give a personal touch.  SE's might not care, but humans might look at your code. -->
    	<!-- Write a Short Sentence here, to give a personal touch. SE's might not care, but humans might look at your code. -->
    	<!-- Write a Short Sentence here, to give a personal touch. SE's might not care, but humans might look at your code. -->

<meta name="verify-v1" content="Verify your site with Google.">
    	<meta name="y_key" content="Verify your site with Yahoo!">

</head>

Code (markup):
    Basically, what I do is look at the code for sites that rank well for the keywords that I want. Obviously, if the site ranks well it means that the SE (Yahoo!) likes that particular site for those keywords. Duplicate what that high ranking site is doing as far as header design goes, but do it better and with more detail.

I know, what I mentioned here is considered to be "general SEO" knowledge. Hopefully you can apply it to Yahoo.

Regards.

Nite, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  10. jinnnguyen

jinnnguyen Peon

Best Answers:
    Yupz. This is the main different between Yahoo vs. Google when it comes to SEO. In other words, SEO for a 'competitive keywords' on Yahoo is a waste of time. It's all about paid to get there.

jinnnguyen, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  11. MarketExpert

MarketExpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "So does that mean that yahoo pays more attention to the page content?"
    Yes.
    Please fix your sig.

MarketExpert, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  12. MarketExpert

MarketExpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Their algorythms are different and patented. Yahoo has given me long term traffic for sites that have unique keyword rich content. Google will give me high rankings for sites that have quality inbound links.

MarketExpert, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  13. Webdrops

Webdrops Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmm... now thats an intresting question... read here... for some more info
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2114
    I guess I have to agree with what "nohaber" says... "
    All I am saying is that the MAJOR difference is in the link popularity algorithms. Another thing about Yahoo, is that it places a little more value on phrase matches compared to close non-phrase matches."

Webdrops, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  14. Webdrops

Webdrops Peon

Best Answers:
    Read this as well....

SEO Question: I rank #3 in Google for one of my core keywords and yet I am nowhere in it for Yahoo!. Why? SEO Answer: Just because Google is viewed as the hardest search engine to manipulate, that does not mean that if you rank there you will also rank elsewhere. Each search engine has their own relevancy algorithm which determines how results are ordered. Over time those relevancy algorithms for each engine change, and they are never going to be the exact same at different engines.

I looked at the query and site in question, and in this instance, there was lots of link spam ranking competing sites high on Yahoo!. Those sites had 3 to 10 times as many links, and apparently Yahoo! likes garbage links a bit more than Google does, at least in this instance, at least right now.

Since many of those spammy sites were dominating Yahoo!, that meant that their rankings suppressed many garbage sites. Abhilash recently made a great post on this topic. Outside of having a ton of link equity or a killer brand, ranking across all the major search engines for certain keywords (especially in competitive areas) might be mutually exclusive.

http://www.seobook.com/archives/001949.shtml

Webdrops, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  15. galtechseo

galtechseo Banned

Best Answers:
    yahoo get searched faster than google.

galtechseo, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  16. ashisharora_83

ashisharora_83 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes yahoo is more focussed in on page optimization. If your site's keyword density is high, there are chances that you might get high ranking is yahoo but google is more focused in off page optimization so as more inbound links : good ranking in google...

--Ashish

ashisharora_83, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  17. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think one common think in SEO for both search engines is the Back Links. The more back Links you have, the better you will rank.

angilina, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  18. anglefourfivemedia

anglefourfivemedia Banned

Best Answers:
    domain name, title page etc., etc., are always key but backlinks are the name of the game w/ google.

anglefourfivemedia, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  19. TexasMan

TexasMan Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, google rules, I do not care much about yahoo.

TexasMan, Dec 19, 2011 IP