1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Differences in Rank from Yahoo & Google

Discussion in 'SEO' started by a389951l, Aug 3, 2004.

Why is it that my site (www.best-digital-photos.com) ranks really high in google for: digital photo tips and yet falls off the map in Yahoo for the same keyword? Are the algo. so different?

a389951l, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep... That's the simple awnser.

Google is based 90% on off-page factors
    Yahoo is based 90% on on-page factors

You need to have a look at your on-page optimisation. I guess you are good for backlinks if you are performing well on Google, just concentrate on on-page.

SEbasic, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  3. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    NO.
    No engine can provide relevant results with 90% on-page factors. It is simply impossible.

Google and Yahoo have very similarly-built ranking algorithms. Their on-page factors are identical. There's nothing special about information retrieval (onpage factors). The MAJOR difference in the algos is in their link popularity algorithms. Google's PageRank and Yahoo's link pop score are different. That's the major factor.

nohaber, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had sites go to #1 on Yahoo! for fairly competitive keyphrases with only 1 link pointing to the site.

That would not happen with G. (I may be wrong - please prove me wrong).

-----------------------

Anyway nohaber, this is all semantics - what does it matter. Both on-page and off-page have top be optimised in order to do well in either SE (If this is what you are saying)...

And also, why is it impossible for Y! to judge 90% on-page. That's what they used to do...

90% I don't know the exact figure - and neither do you - So as I say, I may be wrong.

<edit>
    Sorry, that sounded aggressive - it wasn't meant to...
    </edit>

SEbasic, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with calling % figures, but it is possible to get a high ranking on Yahoo without important links, on Google this is not going to happen.

The easiest way is to make sure you rank on Yahoo, then leave the on page stuff alone, and get incoming anchor text rich links.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I haven't personally seen much need to do anything differently for Yahoo. For my "big" terms, I rank pretty much the same between Google and Yahoo (my primary key phrase for each site)...

Google:
    isp billing software: #1 and #2
    credit card application: #1
    western union: #2 and #3

Yahoo:
    isp billing software: #1
    credit card application: #1
    western union: #3

I haven't done anything specific for Yahoo (for that matter, I don't really do things specific for Google either... just use common sense).

digitalpoint, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  7. nohaber

Best Answers:
    It is a fairly standard SE theory that on page factors are used to judge how related to a search term a page is. And link popularity is used to judge the QUALITY of a page. Without knowing the quality, how is a search engine going to provide the best results? There's no way. Combine the two and you have specific and high-quality results.

Of course, there are differences but there's no way a search engine can provide results without relying by a large part on link popularity.

SE evolution is as follows:
    1) 1st generation - on page
    2) 2nd generation - link popularity added (keyword independant factor)
    3) 3rd generation - topic (keyword) specific support, giving more value to links from pages that also rank high for the given query

Well, Yahoo judges how "important" a link is differently from Google. How do you know that a given link is not important for Yahoo? A link can be high PR (important to Google) and at the same time unimportant to Yahoo.

Please, provide an example.

All I am saying is that the MAJOR difference is in the link popularity algorithms. Another thing about Yahoo, is that it places a little more value on phrase matches compared to close non-phrase matches.

nohaber, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  8. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    So can I surmise that it may be how my keywords are placed content wise on my pages then for Yahoo? Has density have any factor?

Or, am I trying to find the silver bullet where there is none and be happy about my google ranking of 2 for my keyword.

________________________________________________________________​

a389951l, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  9. nohaber

Best Answers:
    Density does not matter. It is the number of instances of your keywords that matters. There's no silver bullet. Just use your keywords as many times as possible without making your page user-unfriendly and concentrate on links.

nohaber, Aug 4, 2004 IP