1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does vBulletin need SEO mods?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by brandondrury, Oct 27, 2005.

I'm brand new to vBulletin and I was wondering if you guys thought that SEO mods are necessary. It seams like there are logical things you could do such mod_rewrite that could improve the search engines ability to spider the forum.

What do you guys think?

Brandon

brandondrury, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it really doesn't need any SEO mods to get indexed.

GuyFromChicago, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    joeychgo, SEbasic and noppid like this.
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I (personally) think the SEO mods do more harm than good - All the ones I've used end up producing duplicate pages on different URLs - that's not good...

This is just MHO, but vB works well out of the box for most peoples needs.

SEbasic, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago and joeychgo like this.
  4. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Using clean URLs will help your site get indexed. VB out-of-the-box doesn't have clean URLs. Further, you can't get keywords into the URLs with it outta box.

If you want to have a nice SEO forum using VB, try www.vbseo.com .

Voasi, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    No it doesn't. There have been numerous thread on this same subject - "stock" vBulletin threads are indexed just fine.

DP (this forum) is a great example.

joeychgo likes this.
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What do you mean clean URLs? You can't get much cleaner than the default URLs vBulletin uses.

digitalpoint, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  7. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't a clean url: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=35458

But this is clean: http://www.vbseo.com/f28/automatically-retrieve-image-dimensions-1601-new/

The second one has keywords in URL and no characters like ? and = . It's true, that VB outta box can get indexed and does fine for most, but I've found that having these clean type of URLs a) get the WHOLE forum indexed and b) provides better rankings

Voasi, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I've found that it really makes no difference. I have vb forums with urls that aren't "clean" and they have no problems with indexing or placement in the serps.

Look at all the "clean" urls (including the blog entry on the same site) below my forum result (#1) for the term 2005 world series predictions.:)

There was good discussion about forum urls/indexing here too.

9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Too right...

And I have forums that act the same way - In my honest opinion - vB with URL's like that, would look a lot more spammy...

Natural (IMO) is better.

SEbasic, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  10. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    To each his own I guess. I've used these methods for some very large forums with great success. I've also helped others that weren't getting their 'un-clean' URLs become clean. But if the unclean URLs work for you, why ruin a good thing, huh? :)

Voasi, Oct 27, 2005 IP
    SEbasic and GuyFromChicago like this.
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Who set that definition of a "clean URL"? The 2nd URL looks less clean to me... contains an extra directory (forum) which isn't needed in the first URL, and ads a bunch of keywords and dashes to the URL.

I think "clean" is maybe just not the right term IMO.

digitalpoint, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It really doesn't make any difference at all. The days where simple url tagging impacted Google are gone. Whatever you can do to get your forum spidered best, is what you should stick with. vBulletin seems to have that area covered.

Blogmaster, Oct 28, 2005 IP
    noppid likes this.
  13. flam

flam Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have a simple mod_rewrite for Vbulletin, planning to setup some forum someday and I strongly believe that no "?" is better.
    Not that keywords have to be in URL's but simply having static URL's, does anybody have that for VB 3.5 ?

flam, Oct 28, 2005 IP
    noppid likes this.
  14. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Search engines aren't that archaic, they can read php files.

Dekker, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  15. emil2k

emil2k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know you are talking about Vbulletin but since their is a discussion about clean urls, I can give you example I have just added a mod_rewrite to my forum, in sig, and the clean URLs are amazingly better and I like the indexing also, but i can actually see some rankings now with the clea urls I like it, but i have a question...Does anybody know why my sites indexed for the forum keeps fluctuating I mean that they are going up but then coming back down?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:forum.gig4free.com&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&filter=0

Can someone advise me on where i should place "nofollow" tags on my forum to prevent duplicate caching...

Thanks

emil2k, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  16. admans

admans Peon

Best Answers:
    I think VbSEO is nice mod for the vbulletin. Mine forum being new is already indexed by major engines...coz of the Seo hack with urls easy to index and having keywords list. Check out : RealWebTalk

admans, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  17. briandunning

briandunning Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect that "duplicate content" enters into this equation. If you have an unclean version and a clean version, and both work, and G sees both, you may get hit with a duplicate content penalty.

briandunning, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... and normally it wouldn't be a problem since Google spiders so quickly, but if your old URLs are still available (and not giving a 404 to Google) it definitely could be a problem. The ideal solution of course is to 301 redirect your old URLs to the new. For example, the archive in this forum uses the ugly URLs with the thread title in them, but will also automatically redirect any request for an old URL (or one with the wrong title). For example this thread with the wrong title will be redirected:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/archive/index.php/missing-or-wrong-title/t-35458.html

digitalpoint, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  19. briandunning

briandunning Active Member

Best Answers:
    But if you set up one RewriteRule to convert the incoming clean version into the ugly version so that PHP can process it, and you set up another RewriteRule to 301 the ugly version into the clean version, you will create a mobius loop which will fold the universe over into itself, causing the end of all things. I think Matt Cutts had a blog warning of this danger.

briandunning, Nov 1, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't use any mod_rewrite rules for mine, but that's beside the point I guess. :)

Thankfully the people that developed browsers have averted a rogue webmaster from bringing about the end of the universe by limiting how many redirects will be followed with a single HTTP request. :)

digitalpoint, Nov 1, 2005 IP