1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Placement really matters

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by SHT, Mar 27, 2005.

Hey,

I just finished reading a really interesting article about where people look

Halfway through the article is a section about advertisin. Although remember it changes on your site design.

Click here to read it

SHT, Mar 27, 2005 IP
    miko67, justtara and Blogmaster like this.
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Definitely very interesting. Do you have any more information on that subject?

Blogmaster, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  3. SHT

SHT Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have much information, but what is being said works alot:

[​IMG]

My ads were originally in prioity 3 places, I have moved them to a position 1 and I have seen an increase in CTR.

Thanks,
    Greg

SHT, Mar 27, 2005 IP
    NeoGen likes this.
  4. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I have followed this research quite carefully. In summary for english reading people the concentration of movements is at the top left of the page.

Apparently we do not pay much attention at the bottom of the fold but once you flip/scroll/PgUp the page - the items right below get a great deal of attention.

However the article points out that it varies from page to page - your eye movements reading DP posts will be different than reading bbcnews or viewing images ;) so they are making a business to tell you which area of the page you are your average clients are looking.

Points that they mention but not in depth have to taken into account. There are all several kinds of people
    Some prefer to browse some read and others glaze over.

Apart from your reading style your personal situation also matters. When you are in a hurry you simply read each headline carefully and ignore the rest.
    When your searching you scan the paper and wait for a phrase to jump out at them.

You can also direct the eye movement to anywhere on the page and break the flow by distracting clients with an annoying banner or animated graphic. The research in our case may be to avoid distraction and create a nice shopping environment.

sadcox66, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  5. seo-ireland

seo-ireland Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a really good blog run by Eyetools on the subject of eye tracking and it really is an eye-opener. Find it here: http://blog.eyetools.net/

Make sure to read through the whole thing. It is really unbelieveable how many mistakes i have made with respect to layout.

seo-ireland, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  6. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Its a nice study, however, there are certain issues to be kept in mind, like what type of person is browsing, a left hand or right hand. As mentioned above if a person is fast reader or in haste she would like to reach to the bottom to look for conclusion (in fact most of the browsing in this fashion only.

I can recollect, the moment the page loads, I tenk to to scroll down few millimeters to avoid top banners.

Also, this study talks about eye movement, not the mouse cursor movement in detail.

Overall a nice find, worth experimenting. :)

NeoGen, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    This is really similar to how the Google spiders crawl sites and what areas the validate the most for content

8. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the post sht. This post should go down in DP history....'The shortest thread with most significance'.

Very nice post...I will deposit this one right into the bank ;). The colors you use are also important http://www.weprintcolor.com/usingcolour2.htm

Homer, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    This is why DP forums rule! Valuable info freely shared. Thanks a lot again :)

10. eves

eves Peon

Best Answers:
    bookmarked....thanks

eves, Mar 27, 2005 IP
  11. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    these studies are nice and interesting and can teach you a lot. however, every site is different and the way a site is designed will cause each users eyes to look around differently.

the human mind is a bit more brighter than top left always ... if you have medium gray fonts on a white page and have thick, dark black text on the right hand side ... where do you think a users eyes will go?

page design is everything. there are trends, but the page layout needs to be considered. it's all about CONTRAST and WHITE SPACE.

skattabrain, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  12. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    Tapanti, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  13. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    I changed my ad scheme today according to this chart and I notice benefits already. Excellent find.

david_sakh, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  14. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    same here. my experiements show that placing ads at the top-left works great. thanks for the tip!

Liminal, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I personally prefer advertising on the far right 2nd from the top section since the top left area should be utilized for keyword rich content .... it is the first thing that the search engine robots are looking at.

Blogmaster, Mar 30, 2005 IP
  16. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:

where did you get this data from? what if you use css for positioning?

i doubt there is anything that supports this other then the fact that the data in the first col on the left is higher in the HTML code unless you use a blank cell table trick. is that what you mean?

because the designer using tables for layout generally has little control over the order of his code .. there are tricks ... but then you are purposely doing this.

skattabrain, Mar 30, 2005 IP