1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ultimate [GOOGLE] Newbie FAQ!

Discussion in 'Google' started by M3rC, Dec 18, 2008.

.:: !Warning! Super Long Post! ::.

Okay, let's face it people. DigitalPoint forums used to be of exempt quality, and no other SEO/Web Development forum couldn't even come close, yet alone match it.
    Now, I haven't been around for that long a time (according to my stats) - but it's been long enough for me to notice the significant drop in quality of the posts/threads.

It's gotten pretty ugly, I mean so bad that I don't even use the "New Posts" link because 99% of the results are the same questions repeatedly being asked... Obviously this doesn't apply to every thread, just most of the threads carry no common-sense what so ever. A simple search would answer 90% of the threads made these days. Wouldn't you agree?

So, I thought of making this "Ultimate Newbie Thread" that will answer the basics and hopefully we can get the moderators just to close all other ''noob'' questions and perhaps direct them to this thread? NOw you might disagree with some of my statments below, but that's alright. We are all entitled to our opinions, so please do share and we can add to this list, the "GOOGLE F.A.Q"!

Now, before I start - I must admit I'm no SEO Expert but all you need is common sense, and with the help of Google Search we can answer most of your questions. I'll try to answer as many as I can (Google Related) and maybe some of the gurus/experts around can add? Let's get started!

Google Search Engine Related
    Q: My site/blog doesn't show up on Google! Why?
    A: This, I think is one of the most widely asked questions not only here at DP, but any SEO Forum for that matter. Well, let's see the answer to this question depend on many, many variables. As you read through this thread, perhaps you might come across information that will help you understand the algorithm behind the Big G (no-one really has a 100% insight on it, but we can all try) However, for the purpose of the thread, let's work out a few? If you type "site:[your URL here]" on Google and no results are found, you should try the following:

1) Write some decent UNIQUE Content
    2) Fine-Tune your H1 & H1 Tags and have a well written Title, Description & Keywords.
    2) Submit your articles to Social Bookmarking sites such as Digg, Reddit & Others.
    3) Submit your site to Directories (You can find heaps of recommended ones, just search the DPForums)
    4) Make sure your SiteMap is up to date and in working order
    5) Submit your site to the "Google URL Submitter"
    6) Register a Google Webmaster's account, and submit your site details <- IMPORTANT!
    Trust me, this works all the time! I usually get indexed after 5-8 HOURS after I follow those six steps (in order)! It works.

Q: Should I submit to Yahoo/MSN/Google?
    A: Why not all three? It wouldn't hurt. Now it is true that the algorithms behind these big engines are different, in fact I personally conclude that they are matching opposites. I have personally experience websites moving up on the Google Results (due to WHITE hat SEO techniques) and in return the site was falling on Yahoo results. So, I guess it's fair to come to that assumption? I recommend you submit to all engines, but select one and work on getting good results on that :) Don't try to kill all three engines with one stone, cause your stone will never be big enough ;)

Q: How to get #1 Position for keyword "XXXX"
    A: If the answer to this question can be answer via a thread post, Search Engines wouldn't exist because everyone "would be #1". To gain number one status, is hard and it's even harder to maintain that position. In fact it's near impossible you pick a keyword and search it once a week, You would see that there's at least some slight change in the order of websites. It will take time, effort and perseverance to get to #1. If you stick around long enough and stay true to your ambition you will get there! Only time will tell if you do.

Google Adsense Related
    Q: I'm not earning "X" amount! Why?
    A: Don't quit your day job just yet, hand on for a second buddy. Google Adsense pays you PER CLICK. That's right you might get lucky and get $1+ for a click, but that won't be for ever unless you done your homework, and found the ultimate niche (this is possible) anyways, most of us publishers, earn around 10-40cents a click, and those are the lucky ones. You won't get rich overnight with a new site, so give it time. Traffic is the key, not only traffic but targeted traffic. Junk Traffic that you can buy for $1/100,000 hits is the biggest waste of a dollar! Targeted traffic means that your visitors have an interested in your topic, so if they see an advertisement that catch their attention they will hopefully click on it. Surfers that get paid 2 cents to view your page for 10seconds isn't going to get you any clicks, guaranteed. Traffic ultimately is the key to success in Adsense, so stick around learn as much as you can - and one day you can reap the benefits ;)

Q: What can I legally display?
    A: There's been a few threads about warez and adult sites having Adsense on it, well to answer all those questions - get rid of it! Google cannot be cheated, we'll you can but not for long. They will find you out and eventually destroy your ability to use their tools once and for all, let alone earn money. If your still concerned about your niche you can always try other incentive sites, or even better read the Google Adsense TOS first. If they don't say you can't do it, that means you can <- just a handy pointer.

Q: OMG! I "accidentally" clicked my ad! What now?
    A: Don't panic, just notify Google using this and just one measly "accidental" click won't do you harm unless someone has a repulsive disorder, repeating the same accident over and over...

Q: Google banned me, do I have hope?
    A: Save your time, and don't bother. Google has many publishers as they need, if not want too. So, if you really want to you can file a complaint and fight and near unwinnable battle. Or else you can be smarter and invest that time in working with other incentive programs like Adbrite or YahooPublisher.

Q: I'm getting "X,XXX" clicks but only "$XXX"! What's going on?
    A: If your impressions, clicks and payout doesn't match out then either you are overlooking something really important your Googles wrong, and the likely hood of that happening is 99% and 1% respectively! Target your keywords better, revise your traffic and visitor behave by using Google Analytics then re-revise your advert layout and colors and positions as these three are the biggest reasons why your Adsense might not be performing. If all three seems in shape, post here @ DPForums, I'm sure we can help you out!

Google PageRank/Traffic Related
    Q: Whens the next PR Update?
    A: Digg a hole, and bury yourself and we'll call you up when the next updates coming. Seriously, who cares? PageRank is just a visual representation of how much GOOGLE THINKS that your site is of value to the community, you could easily have a low PR site with significant amount of visitors. PageRank is important but isn't the only SERP factor! For crying out loud don't worry about this, it happens every 2-4months and if you can't stick around that long - do you really think web developments for you?

Q: Do-Follow? No-Follow? Who-Follow?
    A: Your probably wondering what it is, well it's simple. Google allows webmasters to set which sites should get the "link juice" from the originating webpage. What does that mean? Well say I have a PR4 page and I link to your page, and I set you as "Do-Follow" then when the little incy-wincy Google spider comes crawling my site and comes across your link, it will identify the Do-Follow tag and pass on some of that PR4 Link Juice on to your page! That's why "DO-Follow Commenting" is such a good way of getting good, healthy and quick backlinks for your site! Obviously, the term "nofollow" will negate this instance.

Q: Buying links for Higher PR and better back links?
    A: This gets a bit grey, let me put it this way. You can do it, but if Google finds out that you are - you will be penalized and most likely loose the effect of that bought link. In other words, if they catch you - you'll go down the SERPs and they are likely to backlist you (this is an educated guess).

Q: I just started a website, how can I get more traffic?
    A: This is one of the most frequently asked questions by new web developers, and there's nothing wrong with it. Except maybe the fact the answer has no limits. You can generate traffic from telling your friend to visit it, to ordering a Cessna plane to leave a URL on the skies of a sunny morning and everything in between the two! There's unlimited ways you can get traffic but here are few that's been narrowed down to "online marketing":
    ~Submit to Social Bookmarking Sites
    ~Participate in Forums, Online Discussions and become a niche-related community activist (other words talk to people)
    ~Don't Spam! "If what you have to say, isn't something you want to hear yourself - don't say it"
    ~Write often, the more content you write the more times your visitors will come back to read it
    ~Perfect your theme, layout and optimize your site visually <- this has so many advantages, so just do it.
    ~Be creative and think outside the box, look at what others are doing and try to beat it with something out of the ordinary. People get amused by new and exciting things.
    ~Optimize your tags, keywords and images for Search Engines this will indirectly turn into traffic.

Google SiteMaps Related
    Q: Should I have a Sitemap?
    A: Do you want to be ranked high in search engines? The answer to these two questions will be the same.

Q: Google hasn't accepted my Sitemap yet?
    A: It will take a while, if you have submitted your sitemap to Google Webmasters, just give it a few days and personally visit your sitemap URL to see if it's in working and accessible order.

Phew, there we go! Anyone up for discussion, debate or suggestions? Let's get the ball rolling! ;)

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
    spidro, lycos, elias_sorensen and 5 others like this.
  2. divyanshu.tomar

divyanshu.tomar Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot man.
    Great article
    Hats-Off to you.

divyanshu.tomar, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  3. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to say this is really a great post and should become sticky dude ;)

IEmailer.com, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  4. omkar.dutta

omkar.dutta Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Thanks, thanks a lot.
    You Rock Man!!!

Very Very Very useful post.
    IEmailer is right, this thread should become sticky
    Keep Rocking & posting such great information

omkar.dutta, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  5. FunWadi

FunWadi Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice topic. Must be made sticky so dumb users don't create new topics by asking when is the next PR update and some other silly questions.

FunWadi, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  6. fireworking

fireworking Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. I really like this topic. It is really nice and authortative. (I think you should not have put the word "newbie" on the title).

And by the way, the next Google update will be around January 2009 and April 2009.

fireworking, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  7. finqoo

finqoo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Awesome Post! I approve!

finqoo, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  8. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    i can't believe you took the time to post that.

better man than me

Canadianbacon, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  9. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey all, Thanks for all the positive appraisals, appreciate it :)

Yeah, I can't believe I took the time to write that either. Perhaps that's a representation of how fed up I am with these useless threads that bring down the quality here @ DP Forums.

Hopefully with your help, I can get this stickied. I'll speak to a few moderators and once we get about 30-40 recommendations, I'm sure it will get stickied!

I'll add more to this list whenever I can if you guys have any suggestions/unanswered questions please post here without starting new threads. :)

Regards
    M3RC

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That was really a good post to help consolidate the same age-old questions that get asked repeatedly. good job.

an0n, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  11. FreeScribbler

FreeScribbler Peon

Best Answers:
    As a newcomer to the forum let me tell you that this is the sort of thing that is really useful. Thanks!

FreeScribbler, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  12. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys! I'm going to add a few more questions probably later tonight, so come back soon :p

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  13. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    I just re-read this myself, there's a few errors in grammar and such, please do excuse me.

This was written pretty late at night...or really early in the morning, which ever way you want to take it :rolleyes:

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  14. Australianfranchises

Australianfranchises Peon

Best Answers:
    This is really good article.

Australianfranchises, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  15. peter250

peter250 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What a post! Hats off for completing the marathon.

peter250, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  16. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    No worries guys and yeah peter, it was a very long marathon :p

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  17. cheeta.admin

cheeta.admin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    must say excellent great job mate :) love to read your post. Thanks

cheeta.admin, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  18. genuineseo

genuineseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent nice article mate.

genuineseo, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  19. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have a few wingers of my own here :

Even if this was made sticky - what percentage of members or newbies would even read it ? They don't even read the rules - that are written by the mods.

If you remove all of the kinds of posts mentioned above - there wouldn't be a lot of action within the Google forum ....

You forgot to mention the "I got $XX per click" wow !! type threads ....

But - well done for taking the time to post this !!

thsadmin, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  20. seoservicesvs

seoservicesvs Member

Best Answers:
    Good for sharing Newbie FAQ, nice article.

seoservicesvs, Dec 18, 2008 IP