1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ultimate [GOOGLE] Newbie FAQ!

Discussion in 'Google' started by M3rC, Dec 18, 2008.

1. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    @lastest posters :)p) - Thanks guys, hope you can rate this thread hopefully make it a bit more authoritative and also hope you can stick around for the next addition to the FAQ!

@thsadmi - your reply is nothing short of the truth, I understand many don't read the stickies. However, they wouldn't have any reason to ask those questions because the sticky is up there! Then the moderators perhaps could close those kind of topics?
    Eliminating these threads, will surely slow down the Google Section but atleast we can slowly regain the quality in threads. Quality over Quantity - any day :)

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  2. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Search Engine Related
    Q:Does Alexa Rank affect Google rank?
    A: No, Google ranks you according to your PageRank, Keyword Competition and the quality of your SEO work. Your traffic has no impact on your rankings, but doing well in the three "factors" will obviously generate traffic one way or another.

Q: My Search results return with nothing more than spam?
    A: Umm, this happens. Happened to me a couple of times too. I'm not really sure what's going on, but reading some of the resources - I'm aware of Google testing out some new algorithm of User-Submitted data instead of the typical crawler-work!

Q: User-submitted data? So, what's the point of SEO then?
    A: SEO will always be a factor in SERPs. Just think about it, Google is just testing this - you cannot expect a group of "trusted" users rank X,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX sites now can you? It's near impossible. So, work on your SEO as you normally do, it will always come back with good results. Nothing can replace SEO unless Google turns into a bigger version of DMOZ... that would be really stupid on Google's behalf! That's another argument for another day.

Google Adsense Related
    Q: I earned $X,XX today! WOOT! Am I rich?
    A: Umm, No. Congratulations on your earning and it's always a personal milestone that we all go through but DP isn't a place for every single publisher to boast and be radical about how much they get for every click! I mean, good on you but the world doesn't revolve around your Adsense earnings...if the community can't benefit from it, why bother telling everyone? I'm sure a handful of us can sleep better at night knowing you got $1 for a click :) I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but please do understand. These kinds of threads help bring down the quality of threads here @ DP.

Google PageRank Related
    Q: My PR is N/A. What's that?
    A: N/A means "Not Available" and it differs from a PR0. PageRank N/A is another way of saying that Google hasn't assigned you a PR yet, or you haven't been around long enough for the PR Update. PR0 generally means no back links that have been tracked by Google, or a very few that carry no juice.

Q: What are the effects of a 301/302 Redirect?
    A: Redirecting is simple what the name suggests, when you enter a specific URL it will redirect to another URL. There's two types of URL Redirection - 301(Permanent) & 302(Temporary). Obviously they are different, the 301 tells the crawling spider that the website has shifted to a new domain name, and once it identifies the 301 redirect, it will generally pass most if not all of the link juice. A 302 differs because the crawler knows it's temporary, whether it been a routine update or a short-term fix for an error. It is recommended that you set up a URL redirection, if you shift domains.

Google Traffic Related
    Q: How can I notify the "world" that I've added new content to my blog/site?
    A: Simple, use PingGoat. It "pings" several key engines/directories and notify them that you've posted new content. Once you've submitted your details once, you can bookmark the URL and just visit that bookmark whenever you want to ping your site!

Q: Social Bookmarking, What is it?
    A: Social Bookmarking is the relatively 'new' hype when it comes to "spreading the world about content". The ideology behind SB sites came, as the same time as Web 2.0 and has been a relative success on a short-term basis. Usually the content is voted by users, like your self and the more positive votes - the more exposure you get! It's a very good SEO factor and if used wisely, you can reap the optimum benefits.

Q: Hate submitting my content, site by site! Any easy way?
    A: Yes! There is. Most bloggers and content writers here at DP and many other places use a little nifty web application called SocialMarker. I won't explain it here, but take the time to register on all the Social Bookmarking sites and after that - you'll thank yourself!

Q: How to track my website statistics?
    A: Use Google Analytics, it provides you with comprehensive data and is the best stat-tracker out there, hands down.

M3rC, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  3. mmocritic

mmocritic Peon

Best Answers:
    That sounds really discusting.

"Im gonna get you all sticky dude!!!"

mmocritic, Dec 18, 2008 IP
  4. Gtu7r8t

Gtu7r8t Peon

Best Answers:
    Best article,It's road map for me,Thank.

Gtu7r8t, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  5. 3jokers

3jokers Peon

Best Answers:
    You seem to have covered all the basics, good job.

3jokers, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  6. SEOpaw

SEOpaw Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the wonderful thought even I know most of it but still i read

SEOpaw, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  7. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, they are itty-gritty basics! :)

I'm pleased to see many people have many use of this thread, hopefully more people can!

M3rC, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  8. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    great post, DP really needs this kind of post... i mean it..

very helpful for newbies too...

thanks

nandalinnaung, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  9. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you nanda! :)
    nice to see all this appreciation, keeps me wanting to write more :rolleyes:

M3rC, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  10. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    why don't u publish as a blog entry or put as news in ur game site? they are awesome to read...

11. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    hmm, I don't know.. cause the SEO work doesn't really go with the gaming niche lol
    used to blog on WebCrunch.info but I don't think just these two posts will get me back on it! People can copy this onto their forums/blogs/articles as long as they just send a link back to this thread :)

M3rC, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  12. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    well, how about I post your entry on my blog? and credit to your gaming site, as well as this thread?

please let me know.. i would love to have ur full name and place to credit and reference gracefully..

:)

13. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah sure buddy, no worries :)

M3rC, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  14. SoftCloud

SoftCloud Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Defenately a brilliant post! Should be stickied by mods. :)

SoftCloud, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  15. wolfey

wolfey Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing allot of help.

wolfey, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  16. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I think that sums up pretty much everything that we always come across the same question day after day. +Rep added.

lycos, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  17. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks guys! and thanks lycos reps appreciated :)

M3rC, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  18. ButlerPatches

ButlerPatches Banned

Best Answers:
    Great post for people new to the industry. Thanks.

ButlerPatches, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  19. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for ur consent and content.

very much appreciated, u can see the post entry near my login name LOL

and also PM sent. cheers.

20. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    hey thats cool, lol how did you do that?
    about the content, I'm glad I could help you :)

EDIT: np!! found it :)

M3rC, Dec 19, 2008 IP