1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rejected by Dmoz......

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fredg61, Jan 6, 2009.

....how would I know? Do they send you an e-card with sad looking faces and animals? Do they send a mass card? Has anyone been "officially" rejected and care to tell us their humiliating experience?:rolleyes:

fredg61, Jan 6, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    If you mean an application to become a volunteer editor, then yes, every unsuccessful applicant receives feedback explaining why their application was unsuccessful, and providing advice for completing the form more successfully the next time.
    Many current editors were accepted only after doing a bit more reading and taking more care with their application.

If you are talking about site suggestions, that is all they are: suggestions which volunteers can look at or not or not, if and when they feel like it. If a site does not meet the listing criteria, it will not be listed, but anyone can work that out for themselves simply by reading those criteria, so there's no need for editors to spend more of their time saying the same thing all over again to every single webmaster. ;)

If the site does meet those criteria, then it will very likely be listed when an editor feels like building that particular category and if they choose to look at the site suggestions. Again, what would be the point of writing to each webmaster to explain that nobody has yet done this? Surely volunteer time is better spent actually editing, not sending status reports to webmasters, who are not our main focus anyway? :)

makrhod, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  3. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    "If you are talking about site suggestions, that is all they are: suggestions which volunteers can look at or not or not, if and when they feel like it."

So editors are not obligated to even look at suggestions?

Why that is great for editors that have a vested interest in one or more sites in their cat, and would like to keep competitors out.

Also works for the editors thinking of running a Chicago style pay-to-play game.

hotftuna, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Correct.

Editors are volunteers and obligating them is probably going to be as successful as herding cats.

jimnoble, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jim"noble" is right and with free suggestions, DMOZ editors are not obliged to look at your suggestions. If you want to oblige them to look at your site and insure a successful listing, you can look at this thread. ;)

gworld, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. That's right.
    Volunteer editors are encouraged to find sites any place they like. Suggestions are just one place they can look if they choose. :)

makrhod, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  7. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

But aren't editors obligated to abide by the rules? Isn't one of the rules to actually do what the website says you will do, which is:

An ODP editor will review your submission to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of submissions to the particular category, it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed. Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.

If there is a chance that you will not review all submissions, should you not disclose that?

joeventura, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  8. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Listing suggestions don't time out or get discarded without review (well, except for the great server crash of late 2006 when most pending ones were lost :(). Instead, they sit there waiting for a volunteer to process them for as long as it takes. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years, but they probably will be reviewed.

jimnoble, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  9. joeventura

Best Answers:
    "Probably Will" that statement teams with confidence! :confused:

My only hope is that someone from Google reads things like this and can influence what little value ODP has.

I know I have submitted a site that by anyones standards is perfect for ODP, non commerical, educational, etc and that is why I am ticked off, I know that 98% of what is submitted is crap, but if the rest is just ignored or probably won't be reviewed than something is very wrong

joeventura, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Joe is right. The original should like say MAY rather then WILL, as that would certainly negate such complaints of this nature. They already say that the submission to review time can range from "two weeks or more" but that still implies it WILL be looked at, which for some categories is a complete fabrication.

Qryztufre, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  11. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I had no idea that your precognitive knowledge of what every current and future editor will or will not do in the future could be so certain. Can you do lottery numbers as well :)?

jimnoble, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No it won't be ignored, at some stage it will be reviewed by an editor, but that could be years, we have to wade through the 98% crap in some areas to find the sites worth listing.

You can always join us and so shorten the q's and also build up a category your way.
    :)

Anonymously, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  13. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    Some sites have already been suggested here that are worth listing. Are there any criteria barring the listings of the said suggested sites ?

Some of your editors just play games in here and go as far as "anonymously" reporting posts whenever there are postings that show how laid back some category editors are.

Our sites deserve a listing. Just wondering why ?

Misato, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  14. joeventura

Best Answers:

You sure told him!! :confused:

joeventura, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  15. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Umm no I can't I don't know the secret handshake to get approved, tried three times, got a different response each time.

I am told that I should not apply to a category that has 110 entries, but 60-80 would be more reasonable for someone starting out. As if the sites that are already listed has a bearing on what new editors can handle.

Make your determination based on how many suggestions are being ignored in the queue.

Maybe a new person can only handle the smallest suggestion pool (around 80,000) whereas a higher queue would be better for an experienced editor (1,000,000+) ;)

joeventura, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  16. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have anything to do with accepting new editors, but I have had something to do with sweeping up after a new editor has done some editing. Sometimes it aint pretty, and you want us to start people on large categories, not likely. Ask any editor on here if they should have been given a large category to start with and I am sure that everyone will say that they needed to start small and learn the basics and then the sky is the limit. But you who have no idea of what is involved know better. At every football game the crowd always know what really needs doing, far more than the players who are paid vast sums of money to be the experts, I think I feel like the player many times on here, pity the salary is a bit smaller, like nothing.

If you want to edit then trust us we know what new editors can handle and if you show exceptional aptitude for the job you will soon climb upwards and onto greater things.

Anonymously, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  17. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    There's nothing tricky or secret or difficult about being accepted as an editor.
    We have had editors barely in their teens through to some in their 70's or 80's, people from all countries, all educational levels, all social groups, and people with physical disabilities such as blindness.

In other words, anyone can become an editor provided they read and complete the application form carefully and honestly, and show that they can be relied on to follow the guidelines and policies of the ODP. :)

Some people are accepted straight away, because they have taken the time to understand what the form requires. But many current editors were accepted only after following the advice given to them in previous rejections, so if you are sincere in your wish to become a volunteer, I encourage you to read the feedback and the other resources available, and then try again, taking care to apply what you have read.

makrhod, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

The same holds true with the word WILL rather then MAY...

Qryztufre, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  19. aspardeshi

aspardeshi Peon

Best Answers:
    it tookme 5 years, i think my childrens will be happy to see me on dmoz :)

aspardeshi, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  20. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I just tested this and on the '' review section '' is NOTHING nothing means just a white space . btw I was capable myself now after loads of try to join on resource-zone forum , I asked few things around and is true I got smooth answers ... so far peoples who know me from there on DP and other community where i`m active ( more than there even ) told me i`m simply stupid because I think even I`ll have right when I`ll moan or I`ll say something contradictory with editors from ODP . Proven fact its I reported yesterday 2 sites under one category from dmoz not active one of the links was pointed on godaddy parked pages !!! its true was removed within a hour or so ... I`m still keep fingers and pray to have soon or later my suggestion review by one of editors , even if i`m pretty sure there things are done in different way :D

trustnobodynever, Jan 26, 2009 IP