1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Barack Obama Is The Democratic Nominee For President

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Zibblu, May 7, 2008.

1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

I'd call it an educated guess rather than a hunch. I believe the US Census questionnaire stopped asking about mulattos in or around 1930. At that time apparently it was a mix of American/white and Indians that the term was referring to.

Today, if you look at places like Cuba and Puerto Rico where nearly 1/2 of the population is mulatto, I think it is safe to assume that if you include not just a mix of black/white, but a first generation mix of White and other races/ethnic groups, like those in Latin American it stands to reason that a good percentage of the US is mixed or "mulatto" as you have defined it.

I prefer to call it "bi-racial", which I think is the new PC term, or at least that is what Larry David found out when he bought that doll... I digress.

I think it is safe to assume that if you have say, 10% of one race, and they mix with 10%, that the offspring can be calculated at 10% + 10% or 20%, thus doubling the number of those that are mixed. I would gather that most of us are "mixed" in some capacity, the majority likely in the first or now 2nd generation stage of that mixture.

The difference between those of us that are mixed and Obama? We don't reject, pander or choose on race over another when it suits us for political gain.

I'd respect the man more if he would actually embrace both sides of his ethnic heritage rather than clinging to one. To me, anything less is by definition segregationalist and racist.

Mia, May 12, 2008 IP
  2. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought we were past judging a man by the color of his skin. So if someone is 70% white, 10 Asian, and 20 Black the persons race is defined by their skin color ??? That's pretty stupid.

bogart, May 12, 2008 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

Apparently we are not. I would be willing to bet if you polled 1000 people, more than 2/3'rd of those would probably not even know that Obama had a white mom...

In reality, Obama IS (I mean this with all sincerity) the ideal candidate for the US at this time in our history. Being that he IS made up of both of the largest majority/minority ethnic groups in the US, it would seem that he would be perfectly suited to be in touch with all peoples in the US.

The unfortunate reality is, he does not come off this way since he has chosen to all but reject one part of his heritage except when it suits him.

There are a lot better qualified candidates out there IMO. I'd like to see Rice run in the future. I think she would have made a great candidate this time around on either a paired ticket as either VP or President.

Ultimately my impressions of Obama are that he plays to whoever is listening, which to me makes him a hypocrite given he claims to not be a traditional politician. Sadly his entire campaign has been predicated upon playing to the direction of the blowing wind.

Mia, May 12, 2008 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That would make definitely the ugliest candidate ever. :D

gworld, May 12, 2008 IP
  5. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Considering he surrounds himself with white people in his campaign you could easily make the argument that he is embracing his "white side" more than his "black side." In fact considering many black folks would say Obama "acts white" you could easily say just the opposite of what you have. Your argument is exceedingly weak and based on no real facts. I've seen no evidence of Obama "clinging" to anything, or being racist in any way. I find it patently ridiculous in fact. The real racists are those that are trying to somehow apply their own racist vies to Obama. It's truly insane. Obama has played down his own race in fact. He has not made this campaign about race - it's been the media & his opponents that continually bring it up. I, as an Obama supporter, never mention his race unless it's in response to someone like you bringing it up. Seriously. Think about that.

Zibblu, May 12, 2008 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ignorance abounds. I'd expect nothing less from you. :rolleyes:

I think he surrounds himself (from the cameras point of view) with white people to make it appear that way. Obama (and this is quite brilliant IMO) is probably one of the first candidates to have his audience behind him, so you can see him in front of the people, leading the way. His followers (blind as they are) appear to be "behind" him, literally, backing him up.

To the contrary, yes, Obama has made his campaign about race. One of the most evident moments this is seen is when he diverted attention from his relationship with a racist preacher into a race speech. Instead of confronting the issue of his association with Wright he choose to set the stage for a division where there is none to affirm a belief that he, the great "undivider" can unite us all.

The problem was, no one was divided at the time. No one had any questions about race, or racism. People just wanted to know why a candidate promoting change would align himself with someone who hates, bates, and divides.

The question was never answered. It made for a good speech though. :rolleyes:

Mia, May 12, 2008 IP
  7. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I live in a different country, I guess. A beautiful country, but one that has work ahead in this regard.

I'm looking forward to a new dialogue. Obama's speech was deeply inspirational, and spot on, in my opinion.

northpointaiki, May 12, 2008 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I guess we each live in the "other America".

I think we've come a long way from coloured fountains and bathrooms among other ignorant forms of segregation.

For a country as young as ours, we have come further than any other nation in a shorter time with regards to race.

The fact that some seek to move towards segregation again is the America I don't want to be in. My grade school where I grew up was one of the last places in the state to be desegregated. I'd rather live in a world where segregation and pride in ones race does not mean spouting separatist agendas.

My five year old sees a kid of another race the way we all did a children. As another kid, nothing more, nothing less. People are taught to hate, not born to. Stop teaching them to hate, stop teaching them to separate, stop teaching them to segregate and they will grow to be men who see men of other races as Men, nothing more, nothing less.

What you missed from Obamas speech was the motive behind it, not the message. The motive totally destroyed any message that may have been there. That is what I find fault with FYI..

I found it completely off topic and diversionary.

Mia, May 12, 2008 IP
  9. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I wish Obama felt the same way.

Sorry, Jeremy, but what the hell does that mean? Segregation does not mean spouting separatism?

And this is how we teach our child. I also recall driving past the shot-out windows of Cabrini Green, and working with young men at Goose Island, who told me their story - about declaring a gang allegiance by the age of 5 or so, or risk death, about routinely being pegged by police (a body I generally respect, and work with, by the way; but to deny this problem is to deny the truth), because of the color of their skin. It is sheer naivete at best, and blindness, at worst, I believe, to assume we are living in a land of equal opportunity - I am not talking equality, since none of us are equal in our native talents and drive to exploit them - but just the damn shot to improve oneself, given one's abilities; an equal position at the starting gate.

Motive? Are we in the divining business, now? How about if we see what is on the page, or what is said, and whether it makes sense or not? Jeremy, he made a speech; since lots of folks seemed to want to talk about Wright v. the issues themselves, probably time to deal with it. I found nothing of what you have claimed, all along - I did not find the speech diversionary, or a machiavellian calculus, at all. I found it courageous, and brilliant.

10. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. We should see what is on the page. Specifically Obama's voting record, where he enables the war and endorses anti-civil rights legislation.

Oh but wait. That's not the "real" Obama. When he gets into office, he's not going to be so easily coerced or pressured into surrendering his principles.

No sirreee. He's definitely not who his record says he is. He's something different. Like an angel, or messiah.... *sighs* :rolleyes:

guerilla, May 12, 2008 IP
  11. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    BS. The entire Wright issue was and is about race. If Wright had been white there would have been no issue (see John Hagee.) Get a grip on reality.

Zibblu, May 12, 2008 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No the issue, or the point rather was whether or not Obama was aware that Wright was a dirt bag during the 20 years he was a member of his church, is pal, and the guy that married him and his wife.

Obama first diverted attention away from this issue by giving some speech about racism in America which had nothing to do with the original issue. Then he claimed that Wright never said these things. Then he did another about face and said that Wright really is a dirt bag and he now seeks to distance himself from him.

When your head is so deep inside of someone's ass, it is rather difficult to recognize reality over the smell of BS.

The fact is, Obama lied about his relationship with Wright, lied about what Wright has been saying over the years, and then attempted to divert attention from those lies by shifting the blame onto a public that was oblivious to any problem.

The, Obama decided to do the complete opposite, and instead of diverting, he decided to "distance" himself instead from Wright.

I have yet to see a TV interview where any news reporter (I cannot justify calling them journalists anymore) calls him on this, or asks tough questions on this and other issues.

The golden child appears to prevail again.

Mia, May 12, 2008 IP
  13. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Get over it. The Wright story is a non-issue. A desperate attempt by Obama's opponents to take attention away from the real issues.

Zibblu, May 12, 2008 IP
  14. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Jeremy, you see, this is the problem. You cast your personal opinion with the timbre of proof, then go to the next thing once this has been debunked. One need only look up 3" to see what I mean. I'll repeat:

And this is literally a very small part of a very small part of the dozens of smears you have made over the last several months, with none of them sticking. Another example:

Where? When and where did Obama say the things we all heard on the web were never said by Wright? I ask, since here is what I saw, in the race speech itself - the same speech you saw, from your own admittance:

-And on and on. Jeremy, I'm asking you point blank. Why do you do this? Your statements here are utterly, unequivocally false. I said on the "Race Speech" thread you created, that Obama's speech is public, viewable, and completely transparent. Why do you continue to write things that are just untrue? Seriously?

I don't know - would my asking you to just give it a rest take hold?

15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ah, Wright raised the issue and attention... No one else. And it actually is an issue. It goes to the credibility of a candidate that to date, has none, nor any practical experience to draw upon or to convince the American public as a whole of his abilities.

Mia, May 12, 2008 IP
  16. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    BS. Wright gave his sermons to his church, that's all. He didn't ask to become an "issue" in a Presidential campaign. It was Fox News & the Clinton campaign (disturbingly working in concert) which made it an "issue," they did so to distract the voters away from the real issues. They did so to scare voters who had never seen a black church sermon before. It was race-baiting of the worst kind. It has absolutely nothing to do with Barack Obama or his credibility. It's an absurd idea that it does. The church has thousands of members of whom Obama was just one. And yes the church is not only black. As has been mentioned many times Wright has married black & white couples before, so on & forth. Furthermore even if the church was only black. So what? How many go to churches with only white members? Many! The whole thing is absolutely frickin' ridiculous. Is this really the best thing you neocons have on Obama? Seriously? He went to a black church. WOW! That's really amazing. *yawn* GET OVER IT.

Zibblu, May 12, 2008 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Oh Christ.. When losing an argument, just whip out that there Fox News card.. What a cop out.

Wright recorded, and published his sermons. They were meant for more than just his church. In fact, I would not be surprised if Wright was promised a chaplins quarters at the White House.

There is a big difference between a black church and a racist one. Wrights church is anything but a traditional black church. Black churches are actually fun, uplifting and full of song, spirit and energy. Wright's church is like a KKK meeting on the Springer show by comparison.

You are correct on one point though. Wright did Marry a black and white couple when he married Obama and his wife... ;)

Mia, May 13, 2008 IP
  18. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You and I look at this completely different. Wright is entitled to his opinion. Obama should be ashamed of running away from him at the first sign of trouble.

But then that's consistent for the jellyfish candidate. No spine.

guerilla, May 13, 2008 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think we look at it quite the same actually. I think Wright is entitled to his opinions and delusions, as much as I am entitled to call him a shit bag.

And I've raised this point before, Obama's goof was divert, as well as run away from. First he diverted attention (to keep from looking like he was running away) hence his race speech. Then he just tucked tail and ran.

Story of his life I guess. And a good indication of how he will lead.

Mia, May 13, 2008 IP
  20. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    Issues.

The War In Iraq.
    The Economy.
    Health Care.
    Civil Liberties.
    The Supreme Court.

---

NeoCon gutter politics will not work this time. Wright is a non-story that will only make the neocons holding onto it so hard look more and more pathetic as time goes by. I mean seriously are you going to still hear McCain backers yammering about Wright in September & October? It's laughable. This election is about issues. You can only divert the extremely unintelligent & uneducated with that kind of nonsense. That'll get you some % of the votes, but not enough to beat Barack Obama.

On the other hand there is a real story that will be talked about from now all the way until November. And that story is that John McCain has a far more disturbing association he is going to have to deal with. A much more relevant association: George W. Bush.

Another interesting point - I've heard lots of people trying to compare this year's election to 1988 or to 1972. In reality it's more like 1952. The sitting party (that's the Republicans) is going to get annihilated this fall. Absolutely destroyed.

Obama will win in a landslide & the Dems will hold 60%+ of congress.

Deal with it.

America is done with NeoCons. We're ready to catch up with the rest of the world.

Zibblu, May 13, 2008 IP