1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Zero movement across all KW's ?

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by john_loch, May 25, 2004.

Hi folks,

It may just be me, but the past 24 hours has shown zero movement in the SERPS for my keywords (on tracker of course).

Is something up, or have I just encountered stability for the first time since using the tool - I usually see a 1 or 2 point movement across at least a small percentage of KW's.

Shawn, are you tweaking perhaps ?

john_loch, May 25, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nothing on this end... I have movement on my keywords.

Do you have any specific examples where you think it's reporting something wrong?

digitalpoint, May 25, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Boy you Guys are bad! You're not happy if there is movement and then you are paranoid if there is stability.

Remember Google is working with millions and millions of sites. You can't read life shattering conclusions into one days results.

compar, May 25, 2004 IP
  4. dsr771

dsr771 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've gotten some great backlinks recently(PR5, PR7), but no movement. I guess it takes more than 2 weeks to show movement?

I feel like a step child :(

dsr771, May 25, 2004 IP
  5. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Yeah, yeah.. :)

It's just a deviation from the norm for me that's all. I use tracker twice daily, and this is the first time in several mths I've seen zero movement across the board.

Thanks folks, it's obviously just my particular corner of the universe ;)

6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you use it twice a day? I think I'm obsessive using it once a day. We should be looking for trends, not living on minute to minute minutiae.

Are you familiar with the theory of interia and the tendency of large masses to either be difficult to get moving and equally as difficult to stop. Google is manipulating about 2 billion web pages -- that's US billions. Any given datapoint is meaningless. Now if you get absolute stability for 5 days in a row, checking twice per day then you might start to suspect that you are seeing a tend or an indication of change.

compar, May 25, 2004 IP
  7. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    It's been theorized that movement occurs across timezones. ie uk sites see movement at one point, then globally opposed geographic zones see movement 12 hrs later.

It's possible these theories are correct, hence twice daily might be justified.

If you have large site/s, then a single point movement can mean big bikkies. If you want to leverage it, you need to keep an eye on it.

As you implied above - it's about econmies of scale. :)

8. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    As I monitor three major areas travel insurance and health I have to assume it's run like a mexican wave or permanent inventory major areas recalc on a DC and rotated round the DC's (these may not even be physical can be logical) thus one sees some spikes that do not propagate as they are stopped, carry overs are picked up next time round and spikes are eliminated the same way.
    Thus sometimes you have a 24h period with very little movement as only inserts are running or very erratic movements.

With content/topical oriented PR this would be even easier.

I now use wine in cartons so I don't waste time in opening a bottle when there is something to celebrate.

M

PS just whilst writing the above Shawns tool comes back showing major movements in health minor in insurance and none in travel.....

expat, May 26, 2004 IP
  9. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    hehe :)

Whos your vintner - any discounts by the glass ?

john_loch, May 26, 2004 IP
  10. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    If you "drop" by I may share a glass.....
    (Australian inported via France UK taxes are too high)
    M

expat, May 26, 2004 IP