1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YPN doesn't filter int traffic or...

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by andy11, Feb 22, 2007.

...or maxmind's free geoIP is not accurate.

I use geoIP's database to filterout non-us traffic. Yesterday, I disabled the it to see what happens and YPN reported more traffic, more clicks.

So my conclusion is either YPN does not filter out international traffic or geoIP's dbase (free version) is way off mark. I once heard maxmind dbase treats all AOL traffic as int.

:(

andy11, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  2. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    i believe the free version is only 75% accurate. thats alot of room for errors. i personally believe that ypns geoip database is also inaccurate, though i dont know to what %. there is no 100% accurate database. this is impossible. therefore, we know for a fact that ypn's database must have inaccuracies.

ypn definately does filter out what they consider to be international / invalid clicks.

ypn's report of traffic (ad unit impressions) is not filtered regardless. if an ad unit is shown, regardless of what ip address it was shown to, it is included in the report. an increase in clicks should tell you that you are filtering out valid traffic. i cant for the life of me see why you are using a free database. if you leave your geo-filters disabled you are going to get the warning letter. if you already got the warning letter and therefore geotargetted, you might get terminated. if you have to geo target, spend the small fee and maximize on your filtered traffic. that free version is like taking 20% of valid traffic and throwing it away.

jmo

karagold, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  3. quaffapint

quaffapint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually the free version is 98% accurate. So, I think it's safe to say that it will properly categorize the bulk of your visitors.

quaffapint, Feb 22, 2007 IP
  4. andy11

andy11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thnx guys.

Yes, clicks went up too. I'll do a little research on the difference between the paid and free versions of geoIP.

I never got the international traffic warning from YPN and I started Geoing after a bout a dozen of ypn folks got terminated for that and other reasons.

andy11, Feb 23, 2007 IP