1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Youtube should be sued by the RIAA it has to be one of the biggest breaches EVER

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Connections, Sep 18, 2006.

ok I had around 150 music videos on youtube all were promo and had no copyright value, yet youtube decided to delete my whole account today after hours and hours of uploading this promo only content,

one look through the music video section of youtube it takes seconds to find thousand and thousands of videos with water marks from TV networks!!!

Why doesn't youtube target the people uploading the copy righted content not the people uploading the innocent promo content, I am very angry becuase my videos were all promo and the ones which are not promo which have water marks in their have been left on the site,

my network on their had around 3 million + hits so I am very VERY angry to say the least, I uploaded liek 12 gig of content which was all promo!

youtube sucks!!!!!!

how can i complain or sue these idiots for copy right infringement!!!!

The annoying thing about it is youtube is making revenue of advertising on its site form the material that they do not own, they have not created this work yet they are cashing in on it! They are mkaing money of other peoples work.

Does any one have any smart input into this? how has youtube music video section curvived this long? concidering like the whole section is in copyright infringement?

Connections, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  2. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That could be the end of them considering they're spending about 1.5 million monthly and have no income to show for it.

Fahd, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  3. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dont be fooled by their claims to have no income, how can they afford to hire 100's of staff if they have no income?

remember they have had over 15 million in investments over the past year?

Asif i would try to sue them, What I meant was - how come the RIAA hasn't tried to? they try to sure mums and dads for downloading a few mp3s but youtube which has 1000s of copyrighted material on its servers gets away fine?

4. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    100's of staf? i don't think so.

Canadianbacon, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  5. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly the reason no big multi national will buy them up.. beacause the moment someone with money owns them... they'll get sued to hell and back.. :)

News Corp did the correct thing and purchased myspace.com, alot less copyrighted material.....

I would love to take a peek at youtubes books... would make for interesting reading.

this makes for interesting reading... Here's how a post-lawsuit YouTube
    will work

dotcomguy, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  6. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't same statement apply to google also?? Google and YouTube both have valuable service put together which users keep coming to use and they cash on it. I am not very well versed with how youtube works, but if someone uploads copyrighted video there must be some mechanism of reporting and getting it off (something like DMCA complaints in google?)

dshah, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  7. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Who told you they are spending 1.5 million a month? can you post the link? I want to know more...

8. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
    yes all it needs is for one streaming video provider to get sued and lose... then the others will follow suit.

Though google has made some head way and done deals with the studios and networks to license / distribute, and charge for content.

too be honest I'm not sure if they have a protocol for it, But without the copyrighted content youtube distributes... it wouldn't be half of what it is..

9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Did you own these 'music videos'?

You proclamation that they had "no value", what is this based on?

Me thinks you have no intellectual property and are complaining because someone took your work of copying said content onto YouTube.

browntwn, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  10. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The funny thing is a they are breaching the law but no one do anything about it/. Its not like they are seraching for videos and then display them like google do with their pictures. Maybe they get away with it same EBAY and other such big companies do by having a TERMS telling people

YOU CAN NOT UPLOAD COPY PROTECTED or in ebays case fake stuff then they blame that they have no manpower to delete the videos that comes in and its up to the user. Its a brilliant tactic.

The same with a sweden company (now bought up by Ebay) i told them so many time people are selling fake even send them a link to the real stuff and proff of fakness :)

They just say as long as the OWNER of the product does not report it they do not do shit.

But i think EMI, Sony or what ever there names are let this video stay they get people to look at there products, free marketing.

TheSyndicate, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  11. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

This is funny. Are you serious? You want to sue them for infringement? For what? What of YOURS did they copy? Please tell of all DP what your basis for suing would be?

browntwn, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  12. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
  13. Connections

Best Answers:
    my music videos were promotional from un-signed artists who encourage you to upload their content and promote it hence promotional music videos, which means they have no copyright on them at all unlike watermarked music videos which contain BIG water marks on the music videos!!!!!!

what I am saying is how come all the main stream artists with content all over youtube has not been removed?

yet my stuff is targeted and my account is banned?????

does any one fell I have been delt very harshley with!

its just that I was the first to upload all this promo material now newbies will come in and take all my hits, im not happy!!!!

14. Connections

Best Answers:
    omg read what i said, i mean how come the RIAA has not sued youtube as yet?

Connections, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  15. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
    if they are un-signed bands... they will be looking for promotion so i cant see any problem with it...

do you have an example video somewere?

maybe try uploading them to google video and MSN video.

dotcomguy, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  16. Connections

Best Answers:
    every things been deleted, I can't bother uploading the content aggain and wasting my time, I only have a 256k upload connetion on my internet and try doing 12 gig in uploads with this slow speed!!!! its not good!!!!lucky my download connection is 4 times this...

17. Connections

Best Answers:
    this is what I am angry about - it takes seconds for me to SEARCH on youtube and find EASY copy right infringements! which have been over looked
    some for up to 4 month yet no acton is taken and they TARGET me !!!!!!

1) young joc its going down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9Iecpz41A

water mark from MTV

Added May 08, 2006 yet still not deleted!!!!

2) The Game - one blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZcBg4evHR4

water mark BET

Added August 24, 2006 still not deleted!!!!!!!

these are just two songs that came of the top of my head theirs THOUSANDS MORE!!!!!!!!!!

Another tactic youtube uses is when A new music video comes out and they know its going to be VERY VERY popular and get around 500k hits, they leave it on the site for 2 weeks, cash in on the advertising revene form the page, then delete it when its not popular, they dont care becuase they have already made their money off it form adsese and their advertising!!!!!

Does any one even feel a little HARD DONE BY and feel that youtube is doing some REALLY REALLY BAD things, it only take a few people to complain and they might wake up to them selves!!!!, only reason I am angry and looking to take action is becuase they treated me VERY VERY bad, just removed my account with no warning and DONT even reply to my emails hmmmmm....

18. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A watermark has nothing to do with whether a video is copyrighted or not. A video is copyrighted as soon as it is made. If the bands didn't explicitly give you the right to post them, you are infringing. If you explicitly have the right to post them (and by explicitly, the source of the content said "this is in the public domain" or "you can freely copy and distribute this video"), you might want to put that in the notes when you upload them. (I'm am skeptical that you had explicit rights to post all 150 videos, but I could be wrong).
    YouTube removes copyrighted material as it is discovered. As you point out, there are a LOT of videos posted every day. YouTube doesn't prescreen them, so they usually take them down when they get a complaint. The fact that you posted so many may have been a red flag, particularly if they were all of different bands. Usually bands post their own videos to YouTube/Google Video/Myspace Video. They want people to watch the videos, but they want to control what is uploaded and they may not want their videos used to promote YOU.

Nonny, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  19. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Major music and movie publishers have been threatening to sue YouTube for some time now. For this reason YouTube has been running a negative cash flow because major advertisers have been affraid to advertise there.

But recently the large music, television, and movie publishers have decide to license YouTube to broadcast anything from their catelog. For a cut in the ad rev of course.

Why the change in stance on this copywrite issue. The rev share is only a small part of it. They are realizing that YouTube has been giving all their artists and products more exposure. This has been indirectly translating into more sales.

To shut YouTube down would be like cutting off their own arm.

This liscensing of copywrite is being extended to people making their own movies. They are permited to use, edit, remix, music or video clips from copywrited materials. They are going to allow YouTube to become an open free for all.:)

MGM was the first to make this deal with YouTube (anounced a few days ago). Universal is about to follow suit. And since the MGM announcement major advertisers are begining to line up and sign advertising contracts now that everything is kosher.

Just in the nick of time for YouTube as they have been burning through cash with very little ad rev coming in.

This from a NYTimes article:

axemedia, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  20. Connections

Best Answers:
    the thing im annoyed about is that most of my stuff with large amounts of hits will just be uploaded by newbies and then they will get the hits :mad:

I don't want to hassel of upping another 12 gigs on a 256k/upload connection,

oh well these things happen.

Connections, Sep 20, 2006 IP