1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your writing speed!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by DomainMagnate, Oct 9, 2008.

Writers please contribute,

what is your average writing output. Consider 400-500 word articles and new subject every 10-20 articles. How many articles do you think you could produce in 10 hours?

DomainMagnate, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    metros likes this.
  2. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    This question isn't as easy as you think it is. While I can't speak for everyone, for me, my writing speed depends on the subject matter, how much research I need to do, how in depth the client wants the articles to be, etc.

Typing speed on the other hand--a little over 100 wpm! :) I have phalanges of steel!

snarke, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  3. Rezo

Rezo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I was 13 I typed I was at ~115 wpm. Now a bit less :)

Rezo, Oct 9, 2008 IP
    metros likes this.
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am not really a writer, but a researcher, estimate 500 word an article I think I can finish 10 in 10 hours. Of course given that they are general in nature and not technical journals.

wisdomtool, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  5. tinimini

tinimini Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually hire my writer for articles. but some time for short topics i could wrap up 500 words article in 30 mins.
    i think its pretty fine.

tinimini, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  6. avonlee1983

avonlee1983 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what the subject matter is. The other day I managed to write 9 x 300 word articles in 2 hours. It was a pretty easy subject to write about.

avonlee1983, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  7. metros

metros Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh well,
    Depends, I can finish article in 1 hour or some times 3 hours per article :)

metros, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Snarke is completely right - it's impossible for any professional writer (in this case let's just call that anyone putting out anything better than the typical regurgitated Web garbage from a source or two) to answer that question with a simple number.

If they're extremely well-versed in the subject matter, and you've asked them to write something in a pretty casual tone, they may be able to just sit down and write it in anything from a few minutes to an hour or so.

If you've asked for something more formal, or if the topic by it's very nature is more formal (like medical or other scientific topics), it can take much longer - whether or not they're familiar with the topic, they'll need to spend time researching and verifying facts (since accuracy is obviously incredibly important, and those fields change quite often).

If they need to do a lot of primary research (digging through huge studies and reports, conducting interviews, etc.), they can take weeks.

jhmattern, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  9. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    thanks, so I guess 1-2 articles per hour is about the average

DomainMagnate, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  10. pinch-penny

pinch-penny Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree there are a lot of factors unaccounted for here. On average, if I am writing about a topic I am knowledgable about and have informational resources at-hand, then 1 hour for an article of appx 500 words.

That's just to write it, at which point it is just a draft. There is still the matter of proofing/polishing/editing...

pinch-penny, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  11. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When it's done it's done. That's my philosophy.

My mood and motivation and passion for the subject are big factors. Depending on those, i could write 4-5 articles in an hour or 1 in a day or maybe none at all.

lightless, Oct 10, 2008 IP
    zebno and metros like this.
  12. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Typically, I agree with what jenn and Snarke have mentioned. Just for a guess though, assuming an interesting niche, I think 500 words in two hours is fine for me. And gosh no, I can write down for 10 hours on the trot!!

jeewant_gupta_051275, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  13. awe_blue

awe_blue Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with Jeewant.Its some stamina to write for 10 hrs on the trot.If someone can do such stuff he should start doing novel writing and publish his stuff rather than doing content creation.
    Normally it takes an hour to write a 500 word article which is well researched.
    for easy topics it can take not more than 10-15 mins to write a 500 word article.

awe_blue, Oct 10, 2008 IP
  14. Loves Learning

Loves Learning Peon

Best Answers:
    Between two and fifty – depending!

If the subjects were ones that I already know well, and you were looking for introductory articles, then I could easily do at least five an hour.

However, if the subject was new to me I could well use the ten hours simply to research and learn about the subject.

This is one of those questions that needs many more parameters to be stated in order for meaningful answers to be given.

Loves Learning, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  15. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Easy question but tough answer. It may take me days to write an ultimate article even on a general topic if I want to make it unique and not something "Oh! I've read something similar somewhere."

And if I need to write just another 500 words article on a general topic after a good googling, it may take 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Cheers!

chillingbreeze, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  16. zebno

zebno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its depends upon situations,for instance when i have definate things in my mind to write. it goes fine with 80 to 90 words/ min.

zebno, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  17. angel007

angel007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say the fastest writer I ever met online was a guy from India..he could crank up some really good 500-600 articles, within 15-20 minutes, and they were errror-free and passes Copyscape! I have yet to find another like him.

angel007, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  18. Vi44

Vi44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If it's a plr rewrite I can do it in 15-20mins. Completely from scratch - could take up to an hour depending on subject matter.

Obviously I prefer to outsource when I have the funds!

Vi

Vi44, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  19. submit_articles

submit_articles Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have written mostly 500 word articles for my customers. And my speed is about 15 minutes for subjects I'm familiar with, and 30 mins for those that I need to do research.

So your guess is pretty accurate. Probably 2-3 decent articles on average.

submit_articles, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  20. dynashox

dynashox Premium Member Staff

Best Answers:
    It's depend on what topic that I'll write. Usually, I can write a 500 words article in a topic that I familiar within 30 minutes.

dynashox, Oct 12, 2008 IP
    metros likes this.