1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your Opinions on how thinly you can spread keywords for products?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Morloc, Feb 18, 2005.

Hi all

been lurking here for too long so I thought id post.

If you have a site like mine www.ded.co.uk where it has alot of products and product areas, what would you do about keywords etc? if you try to cover them all then surely you are spreading out the catchment net too thinly and if you just stick to one area then youll loose out.

So just out of interest, how would you play it?

I like to think im doing well with alot of keywords but there are some areas that i cant quite seem to crack atm which im sure is to do with the "thinly spread" approach.

Any views, opinions welcome.

Morloc :D

Morloc, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I think the approach your taking now is solid.

The off-page stuff is where you can focus on a specific market or type of product.
    I have a site that sells over 4,000 products. I usually develop my link campaigns around a set of five keywords. But the site itself is optimized for each category and product.

Your page titles could be more focused.
    Also, it doesn't look like you're making use of <h1> tags.

-The text on your home page is so small and difficult to read.

Crazy_Rob, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  3. Morloc

Morloc Peon

Best Answers:
    Utilising H1 tags is something im just looking into now and hopefully correct.

As for the text size, yep your right, I really do need to crank it up a little.

The way im looking at the moment is to see what main products i want to push and tailor the corresponding pages to them more. This ofcourse can alienate some products but if they arent selling anyway then wheres the harm.

TBh to me SEO is in the lap of the gods sometimes..you can study a site that hogs the top spot and there seems no rhyme nor reason why its there. Lady luck must surely play a key part (but theres no harm in pushing her in a particular direction :D )

Morloc

Morloc, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I would be less concerened about "top spots" and just focus on increasing your overall positions and traffic.

And yes, it doesn't hurt to focus on your main products (revenue drivers).

Have you thought about building an ecommerce site? AT least put your phone number on every page.

5. Morloc

Morloc Peon

Best Answers:
    yes we have looked at an ecommerce site..and we are still looking lol. Valid point about the tel no.

Im serioulsy looking at redoing the site and coding it in PHP. how does php effect seo? if any.

Morly

Morloc, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  6. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    PHP is just fine for SEO since its output is html. Learn how to use .htaccess and you'll be GOLDEN!

Your site has a lot of good product info. So setting up a DB and ecommerce site shouldn't be too difficult.

7. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I keep saying this, but here is an excellent opportunity to say it again.

I have a site like yours, lots of products, lots of pages, lots of keywords. I rank highly for most of my favorite key words, often #1. But I find that most of my search engine referrals come from search phrases that only one or two people use. In other words (in January, 100,000 total sessions) our top search engine referral phrase has about 692 referrals, out of a total of 66,900 search phrase referrals.

So I get 80% of my search engine referrals from search phrases that are used 10 or fewer times.

This argues against the idea that you can only optimize for one key phrase per page. It argues for a lot of focussed text.

Now if your key word was "Kent holidays" you might have to claw your way to the top by SEO. But searchers today are very sophisticated. They know that if they type in "holidays" they will never find what what they are looking for. They will type in "bed and breakfast Kent TN29 9EJ"

In conclusion, for many, if not most, sites it will be impossible to do SOE in the traditional sense of making sure the most popular phrases get you to the top of google because most traffic comes from the least popular phrases.
    How do you optimise for 66,900 search phrases?

Best regards
    wiz

wizardofx, Feb 18, 2005 IP
  8. Morloc

Morloc Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks wizard

thats kinda the way ive approached it. As you say. ppl are alot better at expressing what they are searching for these days.

Im getting about 500 visitors a day so I must be doing something right.

Morloc, Feb 18, 2005 IP