1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your Keyword Suggestion Tool

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by RisingSunn, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello there,
    I do a bit of search engine optimization for a few meger sites that I work on and am fascinated by keyword suggestion tools and have even thrown together a couple of hashworked bits of code to try to incorporate them into one easy to use page. Lately I have stumbled onto your tool out of shear frustration at Wordtrackers inaccuracy and Overtures small chuck of O' the market and was looking for something that was basically what you have.

Now I don't want to seem like I am asking for your programming secrets, I know no programming anyway, buy how did you do it?? I mean overtures results would be easy enough to poll from there scripts but how did you manage to get Word Tracker? And format it the way you did? That is just really useful! Is there some API or programming thing you can do that allows you to poll wordtracker? And if so is there a way of perhaps doing some refiguring of their currently WILDLY inaccurate and incomplete data?

Like I said I haven't a clue as to HOW it is done, I just think the concept of it is very cool. Now if there was a way of perhaps integrating the Google Sandbox tool for general suggestions then averaging Wordtracker and Overture!! Just think of the possiblities!! :D

EDIT: Also I just noticed something else.. Wordtracker claimes that its results are based off a 60 day search period or as they say "taken from 338 million search queries over the last 60 days" but yet your tool has the exact same results and says that its per day. Could you explain the discrepency?

RisingSunn, Mar 9, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There isn't a big programming secret... :)

You are right, the Overture data is definitely easier to get at. For Wordtracker, they don't yet have an API, but they did say there will be one someday. For getting at the Wordtracker data, we partnered with them (it wasn't too difficult considering how much traffic we already sent them from the keyword tracker).

Trying to "massage" the Wordtracker data would be impossible because it's the old "garbage in, garbage out" theory (I'm not saying their data is garbage of course). But trying to manipulate the data still means the manipulations are all relative to each other.

As far as the AdSense tool merging with the suggestion tool, it would be neat to reverse what it does, but I don't think it's possible unfortunately. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 9, 2004 IP
  3. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    Shawn,
    I have been using your tool regualry since my last post but have another observation.

Why is it that the tool only posts a limited amount of wordtracker results? Say I put in organic dog food into your tool. Wordtracker shows 10 results, overture 35. Yet when I go to Wordtrackers site and run a compressed search I get 50+ results. :confused:

Such a limited of results is now making me go back to wordtracker to get more accurate results.

RisingSunn, Mar 16, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There is a 15 result cap on the Wordtracker results within the tool (the same as the trial version of Wordtracker). They don't give it *all* away because it's a service they want people to subscribe to. :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 16, 2004 IP
  5. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    Shawn,
    One other thing too that I never got an answer to.
    You say that your wordtracker results are for a one day period yet using wordtracker shows the same number of searches and they say that the number of searches if based on a 60 day period. Any comments?

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Both sides are divided down to reflect a single day worth of data.

- Shawn

7. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, that is not exactly what I was looking for.

Let me use an example. I put in overdose into Wordtrackers Compressed exact search and get 166 search count and 155 predicted search count. Right above the results it says "(taken from 338 million search queries over the last 60 days)" thusly implying that those specific results are from a 60 days of compiled results.

YET your tool shows "overdose 152.0 /day" thusly implying that those results are for a single DAY of searches.

There is quite a large discrepency between the two. Why such a large difference, either wordtrackers results are per day and SHOULD say so or YOUR results are per
    month and should reflect that.

I am not trying to be arguementitive, but this just kind of bugs me. Thanks for your reply!

8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It does say per day... All the values show a /day next to them. :)

- Shawn

9. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    Hehehe. Ok, what I think we have is a lack of communication.

How can your wordtracker values say "per day" when wordtrackers ACTUAL results are almost the same value and say "per 60 days"? Which is right, you or wordtracker, because you both cannot be right.

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oooooohhhh... that. :) The numbers were intentionally shifted based on a conversation with Wordtracker. The goal was to get the numbers relatively similar (between Overture and Wordtracker). But in the end, neither of them are really 100% accurate since they are both such a tiny sampling of the real world searches. It was done that way because I got really tired of the 50 emails a day asking to explain why Overture's numbers were 50x higher than Wordtracker's. :)

The best thing to do is just remember to compare Wordtracker numbers to the other Wordtracker numbers and Overture numbers to the other Overture numbers.

- Shawn

11. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    Ahh,
    I see said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw. Would it not be possible to simply write a basic script that takes the raw 60 day search results from wordtracker and divide by 60? Then explain that neither of the tools (sigh) are very accurate and that the actual number of searches maybe somewhere in between.

Ya know if any of the major search engines decided to release their search numbers they could make more money selling them than charging for PPC? :rolleyes:

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well that's what it was like originally. The problem is people don't read. :)

- Shawn

13. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    Heres an interesting idea.

Would it be possible to expand the word tracker results for those of us that have a word tracker login.

Have some form of login on the search page or an advanced search page where you enter your worktracker login to get expanded wordtracker results?

RisingSunn, Mar 17, 2004 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In theory it would be possible... But people with a Wordtracker login I would think would do it right *at* the Wordtracker site. Plus I can imagine people thinking I'm trying to steal their Wordtracker logins/passwords... hehe

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 17, 2004 IP
  15. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    True,
    But since we both know that neither tool is incredibly accurate, to have comparisions of the two side by side would help to give a better average.

Again, the whole reason I use YOUR tool over wordtracker is because I can get a better idea of where the actual search numbers lie by doing mental comparisions of the two.

We both know that KEI and competing sites are next to useless once you know what you are doing. Unless its absolutely necessary, I never dig that deep into wordtracker anyway.

Therefore your tool is actually BETTER than either one of them seperately.

Know what I mean Vern?

EDIT: I wonder how many people actually do KEI comaprisions for search engines OTHER than Google in wordtracker. Things that make you go hmm....

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'll give it some thought... but probably would need to get permission from Wordtracker first to be automatically logging into people's accounts and such.

- Shawn

17. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    It really would not need to be much different than using wordtrackers own login system.
    Perhaps you could use wordtrackers own cookie to allow the login, therefore you would HAVE to be able to log into worktracker itself to be able to access an expanded search feature showing more wordtracker results.

Scratch that. Wordtracker doesn't use cookies for login, they use a standard windows login for security.

On another note, are there any other tools out similiar to wordtracker or overture that shows any form of search results? I know that there is the Gooogleziest or whatever that shows the major searches per month but I am looking for something a little more specific..

18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not really... the closest you will get to any sort of Google numbers is the click through projections within AdWords.

- Shawn

19. RisingSunn

RisingSunn Guest

Best Answers:
    I am familiar with Adword sandbox for pulling keyword ideas out of general terms but I have not seen that portion of it. Could you please post a link? Or is it just for people that have Google adword accounts.

20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You would need an AdWord account... Although I think they are free.

- Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.