1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your fiancè or wife tell you to get a real job?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jake The Competition Man, May 20, 2015.

I wonder how many of you have this kind of problem :)

Usually they say "Why don't you get a real job?" when they don't understand that marketing and internet business is a real job, and I can say even more important, since more skills are involved and there are more hours of work.

Your experiences?

2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My entire career has been involved with technology start-ups and it preceded the Internet by many years. It has been a career of great success and not-so-great failures, in terms of earnings. But, overall, it has been a good ride, to date. I have been very lucky to have a wife who trusts my judgment and ability to provide for the family. But I also have friends and colleagues who have partners that are not suited to the ups and downs of start-up businesses. How someone reacts is based upon the "risk profile" of the individual over the years and some people are simply not suited for the vagaries of risky businesses.

However, early on in your career, comments from your wife about "getting a real job" probably are directed more to the income that your current efforts are producing versus any other long term risks involved. It probably is not about the effort and skills involved in your work but about the return from your efforts. For example, if you made a million dollars this year with your Internet business, she would not likely be complaining.

From my perspective, it has been very valuable to have a "business partner" who is not directly involved in my work but who is closely involved with surviving based upon my results. She provides a unique perspective that I can sometimes miss because I am deep in the trenches of my business career. When she does offer advice/comments, especially negative ones, I value the input and listen carefully. That does not mean that I always act on her counsel, but it is good to have.

jrbiz, May 20, 2015 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Usually, when your wife or fiancee says those things she probably says them because of the fear for her financial future and because she loves you. Don't take it personally and don't get defensive. Some women (and, I guess, some men too) will view internet marketing / working from home as a volatile, unstable way of making money. I'd get my fiancee or wife somewhat involved in what I am doing, if I were you. If she sees the insides of your online job and the potential that it has, it may put her mind at ease.

qwikad.com, May 20, 2015 IP
  4. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are both right. But I was not talking about me. Just picking an interesting topic, I think :)

but talking about me, I had a friend telling me this way, a lot of time ago, and he didn't know about my business earnings. I remember he was just saying he would go nuts studying the stats every day and can't understand why I don't work somewhere else.

I presume I could have a Porsche and an impressive home, but he would say the same.

The real reason of people telling you to get a real job is that they hate you are having fun with what you do. They think that a job is sacrifice, boring and hard. And that's probably what they have and can't accept their failure.

5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think he wouldn't! :)

qwikad.com, May 20, 2015 IP
  6. Atikur

Atikur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Suffering from this kind of issue. Looking for an easy solution.

Atikur, May 20, 2015 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In my limited experience, very few "employees" drive Porsches. It is usually business owners, partners, investors, etc., that drive the expensive cars. Certainly, top performing salespeople in companies can earn enough to afford a luxury car, but most employees will never have that opportunity. Likewise, on the other end of the spectrum, it is usually business owners, partners, investors, etc., that go bankrupt while most employees do not.

jrbiz, May 20, 2015 IP
  8. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I first started my site, my wife (who was my gf at the time) thought I was silly for spending so much time on my website. It wasn't until my site started making more than she was making in her "real job" did she actually see that it is a job/business. Mind you, I was also going to school with 100 credit hours a year when my site started making good money. Now I have a "real job" and it doesn't make as much as my site does when I'm not "working" on it.

In this instance, money helps convert the non-believers lol

AzzidReign, May 24, 2015 IP