1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your favorite writing program is ?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by marketjunction, Jun 4, 2009.

?

My favorite writing program is . . .

1. Mac's Pages

6.3%
  2. Microsoft Word

43.8%
  3. Notepad or similar program

27.1%
  4. Open Office

12.5%
  5. Something else

10.4%
  1. narci

narci Peon

Best Answers:
    I still prefered to MS Word.
    I hated so much notepad when writing some articles and other stuff.

narci, Jun 7, 2009 IP
  2. Starpatcher

Starpatcher Member

Best Answers:
    I love more and more my Notepad (XP). Shame it hasn't got wordcount.

Starpatcher, Jun 7, 2009 IP
  3. AngieDixon

AngieDixon Guest

Best Answers:
    I have Office 2003, and I use Word. I tried 2007 for a couple of weeks, but didn't like it enough to upgrade right now. I also tried OpenOffice, and it's fine, but I own Word 2003, I like it, and it works on all my machines, so I've not had reason to commit to OpenOffice.

I write a lot of articles, but also a lot of books and ebooks. For articles, I use Word because I can easily keep up with word count. For books/ebooks, I use a lot of the formatting features. I have some layout experience, and I like to do a rough layout in Word while I'm writing, then import everything into InDesign if it's a project that needs serious layout work (like an actual book).

Great question!

AngieDixon, Jun 7, 2009 IP
  4. staceywds

staceywds Guest

Best Answers:
    I would like to say NeoOffice, as I use it on my mac, but I'm afraid Microsoft Word wins hands down. I still go back to using PC just to use Word sometimes.

staceywds, Jun 7, 2009 IP
  5. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my fav one is editplus...works perfectly for me...

turbulence, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  6. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Word for my day job, but when I'm writing web page content, as I do a lot just now, I use Notepad. It copies and pastes much more cleanly into Nvu, without all the special character nonsense that Word introduces.

peejaydee, Jun 9, 2009 IP
  7. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Open Office gets my vote, mainly because its free. IBM released some kind of Lotus suite last year. But it seems like a memory hog. I tired it a couple of times, it ran slow, so I switched back to open office.

MS word is good, but it can get expensive.

~kev~, Jun 10, 2009 IP
  8. headwriter

headwriter Peon

Best Answers:
    notepad is very useful and fast for little notes ..

headwriter, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  9. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Serious? I love 2007. I got used to the ribbon interface pretty quickly. Getting a word count is faster and with the extension to save as PDF, it was perfect.

I'm using a Mac now and have yet to purchase Word for it, so I'm using Pages. As a simple writing tool, I don't particularly like it. All my clients want work in .doc format. Though I have the ability to save as .doc, it's more cumbersome than I'd like to be. The word count tool is more difficult to reach than I'd like it to be. I don't like the way everything is tucked away in the Inspector. Creating hyperlinks should be easier.

Pages has Word trumped when it comes to a word processing design program (I guess that's what you'd call it). For example, I'm putting together a church newsletter and it's much easier to do in Pages than it was in Word. You can put textboxes wherever you want on the page without having to change any options. Linking textboxes is simpler. That's all I've discovered so far, but it's been wonderful because I know I'd never have been able to create a newsletter this way in Word.

latoya, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  10. coolseo36

coolseo36 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always write in notepad...then if its needed then I use 'word' for spell check

coolseo36, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. Very serious.

The new tools format takes up significantly more screen real estate than my 2003 setup. Strike one. (BIG strike when I'm working on the laptop.)

The initial setup is loaded with far too much unnecessary garbage that most people won't use all that often. Strike two. (I should be able to open it and get the project done; not have to waste time cleaning up the mess of a menu they created first.)

And with all of that unnecessary "crap" littering my screen, they go and remove a basic tool I use constantly (the "save as" button - fine when you're saving a new document, but not when you're constantly saving new versions and edits with different file names). Oh, it's in there alright, but they make you go digging for it (not even in the basic customization options - have to bring up every possibility and crawl through). What a pain in the ass. Strike three. They're out.

I don't mind having to click twice to see a word count. I can even manipulate Word to do pretty much whatever I want design-wise. When people have well over a decade of experience with your product though, you don't screw around that much with the fundamentals. Far too much was moved to make it accessible for me to get my job done quickly and not spend a lot of time figuring out where the heck everything ended up.

As for the .pdf feature, I already have that with 2003 through nitro pdf. One click PDFs, and it's the only software that's been able to handle odd formatting and different page margins well in conversion (while leaving in links as well) -- even Acrobat couldn't handle it. Not only that, but it works through the free trial (and the Word conversions still work after the trial expires on the full software). More than good enough for me.

So Word 2007? No thanks! The moment 2003 can't do what I want anymore, I'm switching to OpenOffice.

jhmattern, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  12. Ellen1

Ellen1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft Word

Ellen1, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  13. TheOnlyOne92

TheOnlyOne92 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Microsoft Word for all my work needs, other than that I use notepad to write quick notes and less important things.

TheOnlyOne92, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  14. carsomyr

carsomyr Peon

Best Answers:
    Notepad - I cant stand how word 2007 changes formatting when pasting out of it

carsomyr, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  15. houcemtrigun

houcemtrigun Member

Best Answers:
    open office is free and when you get used to something you just use it.
    That all there is to it.

houcemtrigun, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  16. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pages is a good mid-level tool for newsletters and doing them in Word (especially if you want pro-level results) is just wrong. :)

I usually use Pages as a quick mock-up tool for my newsletter/layout designs and then I do the real version in InDesign. CS4 just added the option to export to SWF as well, which is very nice.

For documents, I don't have an issue with Page's layout. The word count is always right in the bottom bar and since I've used it for years, I'm used to where things are. However, when I first came over from Word it was rough—as is migrating to any new program.

Since it opens Word files and exports to them just fine, it's a great solution.

marketjunction, Jun 20, 2009 IP
  17. Pixel T.

Pixel T. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad FTW :)

Its quick to open, easy to read, and gets the job done. What else do you need? :p

Pixel T., Jun 20, 2009 IP
  18. evilman11

evilman11 Peon

Best Answers:
    notepad does everything i need it to do:cool:

evilman11, Jun 21, 2009 IP
  19. noone.productions

noone.productions Banned

Best Answers:
    Notepad doesn't have wordcount that's why I write everything in his big brother. Notepad++. I also use Blogdesk directly when I just need to publish a post.

noone.productions, Jun 21, 2009 IP
  20. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Strange...I like using wordpad for when I write. I only transfer it to Openoffice when it is required. Must be my favourite! :)

sarah_harvey, Jun 29, 2009 IP