1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your Checklist as a Freelancer

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Ethan Alvin, Jun 29, 2014.

Here are few considerations before embarking on the freelance journey:

1. Budget & Expense

It is important to consider your budget and understand your expenses before wading into deep waters. Understanding how much you will need to spend, especially on basic amenities such as rent and food. This will allow you to determine the feasibility of your decision to venture into freelance work and your ability to meet your budget requirements with your potential new career.

2. Task Management

It is essential that you determine craft and internalize an effective task management system, a mechanism that will enable you to juggle the chaos of your normal day to day life in such a way that allows you to engage in your freelance work and meet as many of your obligations as you possibly can. After all success in the freelance arena largely depends on how much work you can get done.

3. Networking

Networking is an important tool in any trade and never more so with freelancing. Not only in regards to entering the field but also meeting your obligations. Having the use of a trusted group of individuals, to whom you can trust with your clients’ works will likely aid your efforts towards success.The idea isn’t to network for network’s sake, but to seek out individuals outside of your own field of expertise, gaining access to a diverse pool of resources.
    What do you guys think?

Source: http://freelancenomads.com/your-checklist-as-a-freelancer/

Ethan Alvin, Jun 29, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro and etc like this.
  2. David Tile

David Tile Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd add that you need to consider investment of time versus revenue earned. Don't invest 10 hours in a freelance project if the income is not worth it. Time is one of your most valuable resources.

David Tile, Jun 29, 2014 IP
  3. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What are you using for task management?

Helge Sverre, Jun 30, 2014 IP
  4. Yasmina Abdula

Yasmina Abdula Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Let me add this:

Time for Money

Whether you are a freelancer who charges your clients by the hour, day, week, or project, you are trading your time for money.

Then, you should know how to value your time. It is not wise to have many activities that won’t bring in revenue to you. To be a successful freelancer, you must know how to compute your time consumed in a certain project versus your earnings.

Yasmina Abdula, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  5. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I love using OneNote for organizing my stuff. I depend on Google Calender for reminders.

OneNote allows you to paste content easily (image, articles).

Ethan Alvin, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  6. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    @David Tile @Yasmina Abdula I concur. Always make sure it is worth your time (go by hourly rates, else estimate how long you will take).

There is always a trade-off. I think it is important at the beginning to build up your portfolio, so it is advisable not to be picky. But then again, only take on quality projects and not "cheapen" your services.

Ethan Alvin, Jul 12, 2014 IP
  7. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    I would like to know more about Networking with client requirements getting stiff with every day and not that easy to buy clients with traditional methods.

jazzyjmnote, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  8. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Consider your skills first. If you are good at writing, then ask what kind of writer are you and the topics can you handle. This way you can specifically target your employers.

etc, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  9. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I like your idea of self evaluation. I think it is important to be targeted in your skill set, and not try to be jack of all trades in order to get more jobs. Being specialized can help brand yourself in that particular niche, and from there, like what you mentioned, you can go on to target the right employers instead of wasting your time beating the air.

Ethan Alvin, Jul 13, 2014 IP
  10. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Networking is not just restricted to getting to know more prospects, but also other freelancers.

Ethan Alvin, Jul 13, 2014 IP