1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

You competitors can see you're using the ad network!

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by SERPalert, Apr 5, 2005.

1. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    nothing ... so it's a great reason for you to be rude. i have my opinions ... and it doesn't mean they are wortless because i don't have 4000 posts.

skattabrain, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  2. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    "If they wanted to do so they would have already done it. If they set their mind to doing it in the future, making the changes suggested won't stop them."

I agree with you on that one. If they really wanted to remove the influence the co-op has on their SERPS they are more than capable of doing it. The question is - is it worth devoting resources to do this? Without the blatant link to DP it would take more resources for them to do this, so if it's not a priority, they won't bother doing it. As the network grows and the influence potentially increases there may come a point where they decide it *is* worth their while. It's all about return on investment. The changes just implemented make the required investment on their part MUCH smaller.

"Why keep posting that coop members are going to get banned/etc."

You're putting words in my mouth - I have never said members run the risk of being BANNED - if I believed that do you honestly think I would participate. All I have said is there is a risk that the members will lose the (HUGE) benefit the backlinks are providing now. You may not believe this or care about it, but some people do.

Why is it you think that any opinion other than your own is not valid?
    I hope for all our sakes my concerns are unwarranted - it just seems pointless to tempt fate.

E Doc Tong, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    E Doc Tong-

Can you start using the quote feature..With a thread this long it is nearly impossible to tell who you are answering half the time

As far as my comment on not continuing to post the same thing, Shawn gave you an answer. Like it or not, opinion or fact, for better or worse, Thats the way its gonna be. Move on

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  4. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    4000 posts? So size matters? Do you have a red sports car too?

This is my first time on the internet and I'm still learning to post or I'd have more posts too. One day I may even be able to help someone. :/

Is that the reaction you wanted? I just don't even know what "I have 4000 posts" is supposed to mean?

I think rude started when you called me out in your paranoid state, so let's let this die here.

Regards

noppid, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'll look at all options to see what works best... the ad network itself is no a static entity. It will continue to evolve as seen fit.

digitalpoint, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  6. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    good idea ... i wasn't looking to start fights, sorry if i misunderstood your comments.

7. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't know you spoke for Shawn. I'm guessing he's not completely opposed to members making suggestions, voicing concerns etc etc. as you apparently are.

Oh look - he's already posted
    As Shawn mentioned before, the USER AGENT check makes it pretty unlikely the SE bots will pick up the image. It would seem that he's not *that* opposed to keeping it out of sight. I know I know - we don't want to count robots as visitors for the stats, sounds like one of those added bonuses again tho ;)

I for one hope the mod_rewrite will be acceptable to Shawn, and I also hope most people implement it, as it's not so important to me that I have the image on MY collection of sites, it's the sites with the links to my (other) sites that I would prefer not to have the image on.

8. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I wasn't speaking for him, he spoke for himself.

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  9. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never heard Shawn say anything like - "Like it or not, opinion or fact, for better or worse, Thats the way its gonna be. Move on"

Quite the opposite - he's clearly said he's open to " look at all options to see what works best ".

At least he's prepared to listen to suggestions.... as you clearly are NOT!

Oh well - Night night everybody - I'm off for a beer.
    If you are really lucky I'll post again in a few hours when I've had a few.
    Hmm - maybe I should start breaking these posts up into 1 liners to build my forum 'weight' :p

10. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Neither have I, I said that. I think you are confusing yourelf with the quotes.

The Ad Network will continue to change but Shawn HAS stated many times that code won't be hidden from SE's to satisfy worries about banning/devaluing.

Scroll back through the thread.

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it was ever an intention to hide the ad network from search engines, do you really think it would have been a good idea to use the Google API to determine a sites "value" to the network?

digitalpoint, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  12. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    trying real hard not to sound like a kiss a** ( you got plenty of those ;) ) ... i agree with you.

it's hard for me to not be a little bit paranoid ... again, it works so well ... i worry se's will want to someday pull the plug on it.

13. Cygnus

Cygnus Cat Herder

Best Answers:
    If the backlink counting "plug" is pulled, then the benefit will shift more towards better advertising copy on the links -- try to generate more traffic from the links that appear on other pages...the COOP would still have a lot of value (if I ever getting it working).

Cygnus

Cygnus, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    skattabrain I'm not in that co-op yet either :eek: :p :p

anthonycea, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  15. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I'd be careful, I hear it's like a cult. :eek:

noppid, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  16. zmsan

zmsan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Newbies.. yes, I'm a newbie who has between 300-400,000 in weight in this network.

Listen, I think yfs is the only one still rambling about how we don't want to "hide the network" from the search engines. Ok, when you link to someone or someone links to you, are you hiding the links if you do NOT have tacking via an image? No.

The great part about this network is that it is a natural linking network that gives people benefits in the SERPS. That is it. It doesn't have 10,000 members because it is pretty. Someone said "it's just another web ring". No - web rings generally suck. This doesn't.

I understand that search engines could penalize the network already. However, why go in a direction that makes it easier for them to do that when it is OBVIOUS most of the people use this network to help their SERPS. This network, as it is apparent to me no matter what is stated "publicly" is about trading links without all of the hassle. That is what makes it and if those links no longer "count" that is what will break it.

I'm not saying it is going to happen. However, why make it easy for it to happen? Anyone here that doesn't depend on search engines at all for $$$, congrats - you have made it. Everyone else, well, of course you see some significant benefit, and are generally very pleased, when you see your rankings improve due in part, or in whole, from this network.

"Hiding it from the SEs" - an idiotic statement and yes they could identify it, and maybe have already, if they wanted. However, making it really easy to identify links network wide is equally as idiotic in my opinion. This will ESPECIALLY be more important as it grows. I anticipate it growing much larger IF it continues to help people in the BL department.

zmsan, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  17. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    drool ... c'mon G!!!! PR Update!!! Now!!!!