1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

You competitors can see you're using the ad network!

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by SERPalert, Apr 5, 2005.

1. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    The nice thing about this Ad Network is that Shawn knows what he is doing and doesn't listen to all the bitching.

It will continue to improve despite all those who can't seem to see the forest through the trees.

Why complain about relevancy when that feature has been added and will be activated and improved in the future?

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  2. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    "Ok so it's not entirely accurate, ok the ads are cached, but seems you could get a pretty good idea"

"No it does not, IIRC correctly, we are pulling from a cached ad file. "

I know it's cached ( I've looked at the code )

And where does the data come from that feeds that cache file?
    I said it's not accurate - but it's not that bad.

Do you really care if your ad was shown 12,496 times or 12,497 times?
    Or are you more interested in whether it was shown 12,000 or 1,200 times?

If I had any interest in these stats it would only be to see the general trend over time, not to see explicity how many impressions I get per day.

E Doc Tong, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

Best Answers:
    The stats were just added this week...give it a few days before condemning it.

Shawn has a lot more projects then just the Coop Network

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    At least this is a good productive thread unlike some of the others where we had folks coming in and attacking Digital Point. :eek:

anthonycea, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Some parts of it have been excellent..Others have been pretty bad posts based on assumptions that aren't even close to true

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  6. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    yfs1 - my point is simply this ... i assume most of us use co-op for link #'s. and while my logs show a coupel hits from co-op sites here and there ... the sum of them combined multiplied by 100 doesn't equal G's traffic and conversion.

skattabrain, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

Best Answers:
    The problem with this thread is most are arguing valid points while one or two posters keep coming in talking about hiding the links from SE's to avoid penalty or ban.

Shawn has addressed those posters by telling them not to use it as he will not entertain going down that road.

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  8. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not condemning the stats. I've already stated that Shawn has done a good job of providing this functionality for those who wanted it.

I've never condemned anything about the network. I LOVE IT!

You know why I love it? Because it's boosted my rankings in the SERPS and I've been making a decent amount of extra money as a result of those improved rankings. (And it didn't take long and only cost my a few minutes of my time to implement)

For me - the stats are merely an interesting read tho. I haven't had any sales as a result of people clicking on the co-op ads, although I'm more than prepared to believe those who say they have.

I'm not complaining about relevancy either - although I am looking forward to the day when the co-op is large enough for this to be possible. When it is implemented I believe the value of those links will be greatly improved for everyone, both from an advertising stand-point AND with regards to the IBL. I understand this is work all extra work for Shawn that he is providing us all free of charge - what more can I say - I'd buy that man a beer or 10 if I was ever (back) in his part of the world.

I'm just stating the obvious - without relevancy the ads aren't likely to be that effective as purely ads, and so providing totally accurate impression stats is not something that I personally care about. It's interesting at best.

9. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    hiding links is one thing ... saying "The following are co-op links:" is different, would you not agree?

i do see the argument of hide nothing and you have nothign to fear ... but if SE's don't like it, we all just shot ourselves in the foot and then we all have some work to do ... as co-op has been a huge factor in my recent success.

of course ... this is why we are all passionate about this topic ... if we weren't we'd be ignorant ... can I get an Amen?

10. yfs1

Best Answers:
    My problem is that people talk about the old code like it was hidden which it was not. I think people are a bit naive in thinking that the only thing stopping Google from enforcing some sort of ban/devaluation is the visibilty of its members.

If they wanted to do so they would have already done it. If they set their mind to doing it in the future, making the changes suggested won't stop them.

Shawn has been consistent throughout and the latest update shows that.

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  11. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    yfs1 ... i hope you are right. i hope that google/msn/yahoo agree with you that co-op influencing their serps so easily is perfectly fine.

i'm not so sure they are spending the CPU cycles to do it right now ... but with this ... they won't need to spend any extra cycles.

12. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    "The problem with this thread is most are arguing valid points while one or two posters keep coming in talking about hiding the links from SE's to avoid penalty or ban."

That's a problem? Because you don't believe that this is something we should be concerned about. The fact is - until a couple of days a go it wasn't *that* easy to identify co-op members, now it is.

This thread was started to discuss this fact. Ok - admittedly the original poster was referring to the competition and didn't mention the SEs. But - lets flog that dead-horse just one more time. The co-op provides us all with a ton of extra backlinks that helps us achieve better rankings in the SEs. As it stands that is pretty much the only real benefit I've seen - and it's a HUGE benefit.

You may disagree with the 'one or two posters' that are concerned about this new tracking image making it too easy for the SEs to discount those backlinks, that's your opinion, you are entitled to it. It is my opinion that this addition has the potential to have a negative effect on the value of the backlinks the co-op provides.

I don't know if my concerns are valid or not. Neither do you. It's all just opinion - unless you work at Google/Yahoo/MSN (I'm guessing you don't)

Sure - if it's just advertising, there is really absolutely nothing to be concerned about. But I think we all really know that's simply not true. It's advertising with an extremely nice bonus - a bonus I for one don't want to lose.

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    All good links have an effect on SERP's, it does not matter if they are generated by the co-op or manually, so why create hype over the effect of links, everyone already understands that links are part of the formula.

anthonycea, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  14. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Posting that here does no good though. Shawn has already said he is not hiding it for that reason and if you don't want to risk penalty or ban then don't use it.

Why keep posting that coop members are going to get banned/etc.

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  15. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    There is no question in my mind that some of these posts are professionals trying to incite doubt in the coop because they are losing money and can't compete in general. Just look at some of the expert facts stated and then backed up with make believe math and such. :eek:

noppid, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  16. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    agreed ... :)

[​IMG]

17. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    i hope you're not referring to me.

18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have a hard time believing that search engines are going to start cloaking their user agent as an end-user in order to find an image.

If they were going to spend resources to do something like that, I would guess they would do it to find search engine cloakers. But that's just me...

digitalpoint, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  19. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    And if I was, WTF ya gonna do?

This is the internet, people make references in the general sense, relax.

Let me be clear, if I got a problem with anyone, I'll quote ya and address ya. Take a look around, I don't mince my words.

Thanks

noppid, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  20. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    well shawn, let me ask you ... this will kill this debate ... is the mod_rewrite rule posted earlier ok by you?

i'm not scared to admit i'm in the paranoid crowd (even if i still haven't moved the coop files outside of web root )