1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yes, you should all be ashamed

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Colleen, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect this wasn't more red simply because of the new rep "cost" rule.

Lpspider, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  2. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    well, so did you just collect all your reps every day..?

hope you're not very angry , last thing I want is to make a fighter for justice mad at me because of some stupid rep :D

DomainMagnate, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  3. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be silly. I'm not mad, but you should be punished. :D I can't give rep right now. :)

I just screenshot them and paste them into the exisiting ones and keep adding to it.

Colleen, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    joeychgo, noppid and PlanetAndrea like this.
  4. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There should be more than 01 page full of reps from this thread alone :D :D

maldives, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  5. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    so can we all now like forget about all the reppy things and be friends again like in old times? :D

DomainMagnate, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    The vBulletin Rep system is half baked and shouldn't even exist in the product to begin with IMO.

Good thread Colleen.

noppid, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    petertdavis and maldives like this.
  7. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    :cool: @ I will fight for justice, and I'd do it again :) :) :)
    colleen

amitpatel_3001, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  8. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    You stood up against the so called bullies. Look at your rep now!

Everyone else can do the same.

Skinny

Skinny, Apr 17, 2006 IP
    Cricket likes this.
  9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Those saying that there is good reason for giving red rep, chances are they are part of the problem this thread is talking about and are just trying to justify it.

If someone makes a spammy post REPORT IT! You know you could just as easily report it and guess what.. something would actually be done about it!

So let's be honest, the reasons people like giving red rep are

A) It's anonymous and they can get away with it.
    B) They often KNOW the reason they are giving red rep is bullshit and reporting it will expose that. So instead giving anonymous red rep makes them feel better.

I'm glad to see this new change Shawn and no offense but you've had your head in the sand for a long time over this. This is just a bandaid. The anonimity is STILL the real problem and I haven't seen one... not one... person post in any of the rep threads today saying it's not.

The fact that you are having to work to fix it should tell you all you need to know. I guess I can understand though, suddenly unmasking the anonymous rep would probably cause a lot of new enemies for some people. So should we agree that maybe... just maybe...... it never should have been anonymous in the first place?

Maybe the threat of it possibly one day happening will cause people to act a bit more civil from now on. The fact that you've actually done something and have stated this isn't over kind of leaves that hanging in the air so kudos for that.

GeorgeB., Apr 17, 2006 IP
    GRIM, petertdavis and joeychgo like this.
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Anonymity is not a problem. :)

Will.Spencer, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  11. Moe

Moe Peon

Best Answers:
    So GeorgeB, IamNed and people like him are just missunderstood right? They don't deserve the bad rep?

Moe, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  12. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really think that tinkering will 'fix' rep, the best solution is to get rid of it altogether.

petertdavis, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  13. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh... sure there are people like IamNed. Good point...

But for every IamNed I bet can show you at least 10 YART threads and probably 20 members who can take screenshots of undeserved rep from threads where they were simply tryign to participate or ask a question that someone who didn't have their coffee that day felt it "annoyed them".

Wanna take that bet?

If IAmNed had been reported instead of red repped how long do you think he would have lasted?

14. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    1.If rep was not anonymous, then I would rep everyone who redded me. We would just rep each other forever. But actually, no. DP users are smarter than that. People with little rep power would just not red people with more rep than them.

2. If rep was not available, then people would carry on more of their little wars in the threads themselves -- which would reduce thread quality and bore the hell out of everyone.

The best option if you don't like the rep system is to ignore it. If you ignore the rep system, it has no power over you.

petertdavis and Skinny like this.
  15. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Will. You just had to ruin it didn't you :)

I know someone else will say it soim just gonna beat them to it..... "That's easy to say when you have a lot of green rep".

As for your other points. Those are good "theories" They may happen and they may not. What we KNOW is that anonymous rep isn't working now. Would you agree (if not read all the rep threads today :D)

So all I can say is show me a webmaster forum where the rep is NOT anonymous and these problems that you speak of actually exist to a point where it is disruptive.

Having said all that I do ignore rep. Honestly it's not the problem for me. It's seeing others be repped unfairly and it beign done in a cowardly underhanded sneaky anonymous way. I think that is just wrong and that's why Im posting this. Not because I care about my own rep.

16. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It's not just a theory, it's my plan. If someone reds me, I will red them back. :D

Anyone can have a lot of green. Make intelligent posts. Don't make annoying posts. Wait.

I'm sorry, I just can't see a problem. I was a DP member for almost a year before I knew what those little green bars were.

17. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Perfect example...

1) You think someone deserves less reputation because something they said "annoys" you? What does it take to annoy you? Is it just you disagreeing with them or is it somethign that breaks the rules? Because if it's a rule breaker doesn't the report button seem like the better choice?

2) Most new people don't get a chance to get to that point without getting rep gang banged. And it's not just newbies. I personally know top notch SEOs and webmasters in general (OK I don't like "know them" know them but know of them :D) that won't come here because of the childish anonymous rep gangs.

18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As others have pointed out, making rep non-anonymous would make rep even less useful than it is now (and that's saying a lot because it's not terribly useful right now). People will be afraid to rep someone negatively for fear of retaliation (which definitely would happen).

I still think there is potentially some actual value in the reputation system, but it would be more like a small piece of a bigger system that replaces it.

digitalpoint, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  19. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Is it supposed to be useful? Is it really supposed to be useful? How? Why?

You're a programmer -- what are the design goals for the system?

But seriously Shawn, don't you have work for real customers to do? :)

20. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    In a sense you have turned rep points into a currency and we can now buy 1 negative vote to throw at someone for 1 rep point. Why not stock the shelves with other items as well.

Ex: I'd pay 1 rep point to be able to impose a 1 hour smiley ban on a person. (For 1 hour they could not use smilies)

Roman, Apr 17, 2006 IP