1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yearly or Lifetime Link on Directories - What do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by glitto, Mar 19, 2008.

I want to know what would you prefer when you submit your site in Paid directories?

If the directory is offering link for 1 year - would you submit there?

or you would prefer the directory that is offering lifetime link?

glitto, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As a directory owner myself i would like to be able to get a regular listing permamently, but if the price is reasonable then yearly is fine.

For featured i would only expect yearly to be honest, they may feel like giving a permament featured at the time but im sure they regret it afterwards.

If i bought a featured in a directory as permanent at a reasonable price, then further down the road the owner said you know what, i cant actually give that for lifetime, its only a yearly listing now, id be fine with that, why? because im a directory owner.
    If i took out a ad in the local paper they wouldn't give it to me for life.

If i paid $300-$400 for a lifetime featured then the owner changed it afterwards to yearly, well thats different.

So for me i break it down to the type of listing, and a bit of common sense.

For regular i prefer permanent

For featured im fine with yearly

pipes, Mar 19, 2008 IP
    sray likes this.
  3. glitto

glitto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great answer, you know u gave me an idea of what I should do on my linksbucket site :)

I am doing some major changes (enhancements) there, including price change.

glitto, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    life time is better, who want paid subscription yearly...

WallaceYeung, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  5. maxchanwl

maxchanwl Banned

Best Answers:
    I prefer permanent listings, of course, unless if the directory in question is owned by someone or an authority whom you know won't run away after taking your yearly payment.

maxchanwl, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  6. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think you get a little bit opposite way there.if the directory in question is owned by someone or an authority whom you know won't run away you will prefer the permanent listing,or i didnt understand what r u mean:confused:
    Anyway for the reason you are talking about if the price of the yearly subscription was 3 times cheaper from the permanent i would prefer yearly.

scoobby, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  7. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is a very interesting debate, and back in 2007 brought a 9 page thread started by Jeff reguarding the issue.

The argument started when John Scott of v7n decided that charging a yearly fee was too much and he wouldn't submit to directories that did that. Jeff of Aviva highlighted that charging a yearly fee gives the directory owner the time and money to re-review a site each year.

mikey1090, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  8. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lifetime. i have to much to remember already

indyguidedotinfo, Mar 19, 2008 IP
    sray likes this.
  9. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally I prefer lifetime links, but if directory is really good and can give good results then yearly fee is fine.

dhruv37, Mar 19, 2008 IP
    sray likes this.
  10. sray

sray Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would prefer permanent regular listing.

sray, Mar 19, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting comment. So you are saying someone might run off after taking your yearly payment but a directory owner is more likely to stick around forever???? That really does not make any sense at all to me.

Annual listings allow the directory listing your site to maintain quality listings through annual reviews and ongoing resources for promotion.

It keeps pressure on the site owner to continue to provide a quality resource for you to list your site on.

What other advertising industry do owners devalue thier own product more than in the directory business? Tell me any other industry that offers lifetime advertisements for one time fees. Ask your local newspaper about a one time fee for running an ad on your business for life and see how they react.

swedal, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  12. glitto

glitto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I think.

If you go to my site you will see some advertisement space, banners..etc which I HAVE TO maintain at any cost, I have to bring visitors to my site and want to give more exposure to my advertisers. This thing will keep ME and MY SITE busy.

There would be no benefit if I just make a directory where I attract people only on the base of PR, and they submit site and never look at it again.

I am revising some price on my site and will put both (permanent & yearly) listings, but with some logic.

glitto, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  13. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Al lot was said in the thread of last year. I just want to add that the monthly fee is very common in targetted traffic, niche directories. I have one where every user I send is likely to pay for many months of the listing fee. And it send quite a few (niche directories can rank high in the serps).
    I still beleive that quality listings are an asset to a directory and you should not remove them if they don't renew. You can present them differently to favor sponsors though. Imagine out of 2000 listings, 1000 did not renew this year, will you sacrifice half of the data in your directory? Are you really building a quality resource for your visitors.
    Not exactly the same but it is like google deciding to drop all sites that do not use adsense, why will they send traffic for websites they don't make them money, the hell with the google user.

enQuira, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  14. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    This is an excellent point. The problem being, of the 1000 links that did not review many of them will be commercial based sites. The non profit, information and guide type sites are the ones you'd be happy to keep and theres probably going to be less of them.

mikey1090, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  15. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes but even commercial sites are useful for your visitors. If you are really concerned about the outgoing links you can use js redirect or nofollow tags for those who do not renew, and place them after sponsored links. Why lose this data if it provides quality to your directory.

enQuira, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Regardless of the directory being free or paid, I think regular listings should be for the life of the directory and site submitted. As long as the submitted site maintains its quality and topic it should continue to be listed.

When it comes to the premium advertising positions, I think permanent listings do two things - it makes the buy in cost overly high (the directory owner should be charging based on the length of time they plan to keep running the site, not on today's costs) and it makes it a contract that is impossible to change (Alive and even Yahoo! Directory could not charge what they do today when they first launched).

Depending on placement of the advertising, I think it's better to offer options. For example, key advertising spots (placement on homepage or other premium locations) may be for only 6 months while a featured listing might be for 12 months.

Permanent advertising positions greatly favor the advertiser and could prevent a directory owner from upping their prices or even modifying their layout. Why do anything that can limit your site's growth and revenue potential?

YMC, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  17. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    As a directory owner I prefer the yearly review fees. I have fair cheap prices, and I think this option fits the best for me because I like to know what I have listed in my directory.

hyper, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  18. Kraize

Kraize Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't pay in a directory that was yearly. Just my personal preference but I like lifetime.

Kraize, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  19. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe after a year since you raised the kite, you might wanna see if the canvas is still ok for keeping the kite up for another year :D

hyper, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  20. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    I prefer permanent links. People might get turned off by directories who charge yearly fees.

cool_78, Mar 20, 2008 IP