1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo's Site Match -- any experience

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by compar, Aug 18, 2004.

I'm amazed at how little conversation there is about Yahoo/Overture paid search engine submission called Site Match.

I'd be interested to know if anybody is using it and what your experience with it is?

compar, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  2. pk_synths

pk_synths Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm about to have my site added (about 20,000 pages) and dont ask about the cost cause I got a great deal. Anyway you can go through Yahoo to do it but they'll only pass you along to an "inclusion" expert as they dont even do inclusions themselves but outsource it to 2 other companies (Yahoo usually pads the cost for profit...inclusion companies will do it for much less). The companies spider the site and create a feed thats than passed onto Yahoo. BTW the companies also optimize the feed to get pretty good SERPs.

Each click costs anywhere from .10 to .40 cents depending on the site category and company thats doing the inclusion. You can expect around 2000 hits or so a day for a medium sized site.

BTW make sure you dont include URLs that rank well because you will lose that rank as URLs that use Site Match are removed from the organic results index.

Hope that helps...........I've had too much coffee.

pk_synths, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! That isn't the way I understand it at all. First off Yahoo owns Overture and you do your Site Match Submission directly through Overture. There aren't any third party companies that I know of doing this or offering this service unless they are SEO people doing it on your behalf.

The Click through rates the last time I checked where either 15 cents for low priority items or 30 cents for everything else. I've never tested a category that wasn't 30 cents.

BTW if you get 2000 click throughs per day at 30 cents you are either going to make a fortune, or go bust, in a hell of a hurry. That is $600 per day. All I can say is your site better convert well.

compar, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  4. pk_synths

pk_synths Peon

Best Answers:
    And Overture passes on mass submissions to third party inclusion experts. As I said there are only two. Quigo (quigo.com) is one of them. They developed the spider that finds relevancy for the feeds. Overture licenses the spider for SiteMatch for small inclusions (1 to 5 URLS) Most likely thats why it's so expensive through Overture because they have to do the work and pay the license. I'm getting my URL submissions for pennies :)

It can get expensive BUT Yahoo converts better for me than Google for some reason. Might be the demographic. So it's worth a shot.

pk_synths, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  5. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    a site i optimize went from page 3 to page 1 on yahoo the day they "processed it".

as a matter of fact, i think it's a sham... because alltheweb.com had me between 1-5 for several phrases on page 1.

the made a deal with the devil (overture) and the site just plain went away. it to lept back into page #1 with yahoo when i forked mroe cash over to oveture for sitematch.

what a sham... as if PPC wasn't enough... it reaks of greed.

skattabrain, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  6. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also found that my pages "magically" improved in the rankings when I added them through SiteMatch.

Extranet Guy, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is much "magic" in this. After all that is what you're paying for isn't it?

compar, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  8. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Supposedly not....it's supposed to just be to ensure that a given page is indexed every two days; they suggest that it's for people who are having trouble getting pages indexed or who want to ensure content is refreshed frequently. They explicitly state that it has no affect on rankings.

Extranet Guy, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, and if you believe that I have some great property in swamp in Florida I'll sell you.

For instance what is the value of frequent content refresh unless it isn't for SERP placement?

compar, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  10. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    well, magic aside, it's pretty sleazy... and not just for us who optimize sites... but for the people that use those search enignes that use overture, thinking the "left hand side" are the results that are better than all and based on content and popularity. as opposed to the results that make the engine more money or not.

isn't this what made google popular a couple years back? unbiased search?

don't you think?

skattabrain, Aug 18, 2004 IP
  11. gtcentury.com

gtcentury.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't use it before, since yahoo change their marketing sheme.

gtcentury.com, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  12. felix77

felix77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok... I have been successfully using sitematch since early 2005 and with the BING fiasco (yes that is how I consider it) my sites are down to pages 8, 12, and so on when previously I have top ten listings. Any idea what will happen with sitematch now??

felix77, Aug 4, 2009 IP