1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Web Hosting Nightmare

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by TheBrokenOne, Jun 9, 2006.

For the past 6 months I've had my site ratemydoodle.com hosted with yahoo web hosting. I didn't have many problems with them up until a month ago when I started getting the error message "Too Many Connections" when I tried to login into phpMyAdmin. I would get this error message every couple of days and because the site is completely database driven the whole thing would go down, usually for about 8 hours or so.

I did some research and discovered that the cause of this problem was probably due to the way yahoo had configured their mysql settings i.e. the max_connections and wait_timeout values which were set to 100 and 28,800 respectively. This problem was causing the site to go down every couple of days and was becoming very troublesome so I opened up a trouble ticket and suggested they change the variables. After a month of trying to explain the problem to a dangerously unknowledgeable support engineer they finally decided to change the max_connections variable to 200. Everything was fine until wednesday when I got this email:

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have fixed the root cause of the problem that was causing your site
    to be down. I believe this will remove the need for increasing the max
    connections on your mysql server.

Please let us know if you have any further instances of this issue.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Angel

Whatever they did caused the mysql server to go down COMPLETELY and I now get the error message "#2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query" when I try to login into phpMyAdmin. My site has been down for over 36 hours. I've sent at least 10 emails to yahoo about this & received no response whatsoever. Now I just want access to phpMyAdmin so I can get a non-corrupt mysql dump of the database, then I can move the site over to a new web host. However I can't login to phpMyadmin to do this, I've made numerous backup mysql dumps of the site from yahoo's control panel but it turns out they're all corrupt.....surprise surprise. I'm really at a loss over this one.

Are there any members on DP that work for Yahoo by any chance? What should I do if yahoo won't repspond to my emails? Its been 27 hours since I sent the first email about this issue to them and you know things are getting desperate when I have to ask if anyone on DP works for yahoo...

TheBrokenOne, Jun 9, 2006 IP