1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo SiteMatch

Discussion in 'Yahoo Search Marketing' started by aspcoder, Jan 7, 2005.

Is it worth?
    And about URL, will yahoo crawl one page only or all the pages of site?

aspcoder, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  2. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    It's for the page (domain would be home page) yearly renewable and one still pays per click....

only guarantee is to be included but no positional advantages and further pages may or may not be included......

It's legit business but I regard it as con as I either pay per click or for a lifetime inclusion but never both.

Depending on your market I always found that taking the money for y dir and sitematch as a budget and use this to submit one sided to directories matching the aim of the site.

But thats my opinion
    M

expat, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  3. aspcoder

aspcoder Peon

Best Answers:
    So if i put homepage, does it give gurantee that it will include all pages 50 pages of my site?
    And is it not that, once it include all pages, remove sitematch...i think its a cheapest way to get into yahoo.

aspcoder, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  4. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    its per page!

No there is no gurantee that more than one page will be included!

Stop and they may stop.

Get links and Y will include you (for free).
    M

expat, Jan 7, 2005 IP
  5. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's my feelings on the Yahoo paid inclusion thing.

First, Yahoo to me is one very money grubby organization. First they want $299.00 to be listed into their Yahoo! Directory. Then they ask for $49.00 (first URL) for paid inclusion into their search results AND then they make you pay per click. In my industry that is $0.30 per click!

Yes it is true that if you get enough backlinks that Yahoo! Search will EVENTUALLY include your domain in their search results; BUT if your website is listed in to Yahoo! Directory (like mine are) then they will list your COMPANY NAME, instead of your optimized Title tag in their SERPS. So if your company name is Blah-Blah.com or Blah-Blah.us they will INSIST on listing that in your site's SERPS listing. They let you ASK to have them change the Title in the SERPS listing; but they won't change it - trust me I have tried numerous times. IMHO, they do this as "Company-Name.com won't rank as high in their search results, like an optimized Title tag would. The only way then to have YOUR Title tag to show up in the Yahoo! Search SERPS is to PAY THE TOLL TO THE TROLL!

After many months of vasilating back and forth on whether to give in their greedy tactics, this past Saturday I gave in and paid them the bribe to have my site listed the way I want the Title and Description to read and not what is in the Yahoo! Directory.

Yahoo! does not guarantee any particular ranking once you do pay up. When I do a search in the Yahoo! Directory (not looking up by category - but an actual directory search) my site is #13 in the Yahoo! Directory for this monster industry keyword phrase. And that is with the un-optimized Title and Description, etc. listed. I figure when the correct SERPS listing kicks in (takes up to 4 business days to have your paid inclusion to take effect)
    that my site will be on page 1 for this keyword phrase.

Last, you can limit how much money you keep in your account balance. If you find that you are not making any sales or very few, then you can not add any more money for the balance of the month. There's a $50.00 minimum that needs to be in your account to start out with. If you reach that limit you can either make more funds available or you can leave it until the following month in which case your domain will not show up in the Yahoo! SERPS until you put money back into your acct. balance.

So, at least you can control how much money they take out, in case your ROI is not good. My site should be included by next Tuesday or Wednesday and so I'll have some idea soon if this is going to be a good move or not.

I'll post back here once I have some idea of how this is going to play out.

sportsguru, Jan 9, 2005 IP
    david_sakh likes this.
  6. aspcoder

aspcoder Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks sportsguru.
    But yet confused :(

aspcoder, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  7. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, now I'M confused! My site is now listed in the Yahoo! Search results, but lower than the directory results?!? And they are still listing my DIRECTORY Title and Descirption?!? I checked several other sites in the SERPS and they all get to have THEIR OPTIMIZED Title and Description; but not me for some bizarre reason???!!!

I thought that Google was one dysfunctional search engine/se company; but now I'd have to say that Yahoo! Search is giving Google a run for their money!!! :confused:

sportsguru, Jan 13, 2005 IP
  8. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    They will list both separately as they are treated as separate entities. Luckily, for me mine show up #3 and #4 with the directory one being #4. I may have pissed away 299, but what do you do?

kepa, Jan 13, 2005 IP
  9. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    They are NOT listing them separately. That was my point?!? They are listing my DIRECTORY listing as my SERPS listing also - SAME TITLE - SAME DESCRIPTION.

10. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    I closed my account with Overture/Yahoo Site Match. I tried it, and they didn't even list my correct Title from my Title tag and kept using the same directory description instead of my Meta Description. Yahoo just lost a customer for good. Also, I would strongly advise anyone NOT to fall for paying the extortion money to Yahoo. Their "traffic" just isn't worth it anyway.

11. rentalsearch

rentalsearch Guest

Best Answers:
    I've noticed another odd thing with the yahoo directory listings appearing in the yahoo serps - in some cases they default to the company name that appears in the yahoo directory, but then for other sites that have y directory listings as well, they list the optimized title tag for the pages. is there some rule of thumb for when the directory tag apprears and vice-versa?

rentalsearch, Jan 13, 2005 IP