1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo! Showing 2 sets of results?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by yo-yo, Apr 15, 2005.

From my home computer my usual kw terms i check on daily I've dropped several positions since last night (wed night). However from my friends computer and work computer I still hold the old top rankings.

The computers are only 10 miles apart... so why would yahoo be showing them different results for the same searches?

The only thing i can think of, is that I've searched for these words several times a day for a while without clicking a result... so maybe they are now showing me a secondary set of results?? :confused:

yo-yo, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  2. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    I have noticed the same for my sites. There appears to be 2 (or maybe more) sets of results showing depending on the time of day or location. And it is not a cache or cookie issue.

a389951l, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  3. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    Sounds like crazy talk to me. Any actual numbers or research to back it up?

alias420, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  4. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo gives different results every hour. It's all over the place. Actual numbers. 9 out of 10 people agree that statistics can be easily manipulated.

kyle422, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  5. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "crazy talk" - heh

Actually I have experianced the same - You 'refresh' and 'refresh' all you want on both PCs but sometimes (not always) me and my buddies (one in NC, one in Washington, I'm in AZ) get different results.

a38 - I'll try to gather a couple of Screen shots with time/date stamps for you the next time it happens ;)

Epica, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  6. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kyle -

Studies show that actually only 78.7% of statistics ARE manipulated - although your original assessment of 90% applies to the 'CAN be manipulated' class.

heh :rolleyes:

Epica, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  7. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry I forgot to fact check those statistics.

kyle422, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  8. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    Just because the results are continuously updating doesnt mean there are 2 sets of results. Why not extend that logic and say there a million sets of results. I've found that pages move up and down on an hourly bases but that is the 1 set of results being dynamic.

alias420, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  9. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    Take Google for instance, different datacenters give different results. Would it be possible that Yahoo's computers don't update the exact same time? Or did I just blow your mind?

kyle422, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  10. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am seeing two sets as well. I've had the #1 spot for 4 months, and now dropped to #2. I've checked a few DCs but not all. Of those, they all have the 'new' SERPs.

longcall911, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  11. TearingHairOut

TearingHairOut Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there any tool out there for checking Yahoo datacenters (or datacentres for us Europeans!) similar to the way that McDar checks Google DC's?

TearingHairOut, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  12. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Crazy Talk?

I'm not seeing any "hourly updates" , im following two specific search terms that I rank for. One location at a friends house shows me at #1 for my first kw and #4 for my 2nd kw, it has been this way all week and not changed at any time from his computer.

My computer has shown that same thing, until 2 days ago, when suddenly the first kw i have dropped to #2 and the 2nd kw i have dropped to the 4th page. I can't see the same result he sees at any time, even when we do a search at the SAME TIME.

I have no reason to lie about it, so say what you want...

yo-yo, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  13. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    how is new serps two sets? are your old serps comming back then going away again? this is just the constant update flux. and I agree about the datacenter's probably just not being all updated.

alias420, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  14. Leroy James

Leroy James Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anybody know of a list of current Yahoo datacenters. I am definitely getting two sets of results. I get one set at home and another at work.

Leroy James, May 17, 2005 IP
  15. HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    We have a new site that appeared to be popping in and out of the Yahoo SERP's, going from #15 for its primary KW to oblivion and then back again.

To find out what was happening, I charted the top 30 results for that KW for over a week. Based upon previous data that we had charted for the same phrase, it appeared that occasionally an older data set of results would show up.

For example, there were a few sites that had not showed up in the SERP's for months, then occasionally showed up at or near their old rankings.

So, it looks like there is another datcenter involved. I never tracked the time of day when I received the old SERP's, but I have a hunch that it might play a role in the two sets of results. During peak online periods, it may be that overflow traffic is kicking over to another datacenter.

I have no way to prove that this is "overflow" happening, I only know that we are occasionally seeing two sets of results.

HHI Golf Guy, May 18, 2005 IP
  16. flyguy

flyguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I second that. If anyone has a current list I would appreciate it.

The past 2 weeks have been crazy for my sites and yahoo. They all took a nice jump in the serps that lasted a day or two then fell bellow the original levels. I've noticed 2 sets of results as well.

flyguy, May 18, 2005 IP
  17. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    There are 2 sets of results. I have noticed kws that I have been 1, 2 + 3 in Yahoo for years now fluctuating (dropping right down to 10-15) then back up on a refresh. The results ONLY take the 2 different rankings and do not rise and fall between these positions

Design Agent, May 19, 2005 IP
  18. 7753World

7753World Guest

Best Answers:
    I have noticed the same and it doesn't seem to be related to time but more to different computers. For our search terms we show as position 1, 4 and 7 depending on the computer used. This is consistent through the day - any day of the week. I think Yahoo is tracking our search habbits but have not been able to find anything about this (web search related) - I know their desktop search as well as Googles, MSN's, etc. have plans to offer personalized results - at the expense of your privacy - but now Yahoo is doing this for web searches?

7753World, Jun 5, 2005 IP
  19. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This could explain why when I check sometimes I am top 5 and other times I am not in the top 30.

Web Gazelle, Jun 6, 2005 IP