1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Reindexing?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by dcabbar, Mar 17, 2005.

Hi,

My site, was somehow added to the Yahoo index while URLs had query parameters in them. Hence, it only indexed the main page, but nothing else. Then, I changed my site to remove these query parameters, and specify them as folders using apache rewrite. So, my URLS look like:

/content/blogcategory/74/54/

When do you thin Yahoo will update this change? The weird thing is that when I search something about my site, I see two urls: main page and another page with query parameters. But, when I go to the page cached but yahoo, none of the URLS there are in query parameter format, but rather folder format that I explained above.

Am I doing something wrong here, or does it take Yahoo too long to update their index?

Thanks...

dcabbar, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  2. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I remember correctly, Yahoo! reindexed a couple of weeks ago. It seems that they reindex more foten than Google these days (there bot is slower but their search results change faster) but I wouldn't expect them to do it more than once a month.

jim, Mar 17, 2005 IP
  3. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it takes forever for yahoo to update.. things like titles and such that i have changed weeks ago, still show up on yahoo. whereas google updates it within a matter of days

pstatus, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  4. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with pstatus. For me, Yahoo is slooooooow. Google can index or update pages within days, whereas Yahoo takes months. Maybe it's not so noticeable on smaller sites, but when there's a lot of pages, Slurp just seems to give up after the home page.

daamsie, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  5. king_cobra

king_cobra Peon

Best Answers:
    Google and Yahoo are slow in updating the change, though google is better among the two. But i am really impressed with the new MSN search. They update the change quicker from my experiece. What do others think of this?

king_cobra, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  6. Valtar

Valtar Guest

Best Answers:
    I Really have to agree with cobra, from what I have seen with my own site I get M$N updates very fast where Google and Yahoo lack on the updates sometime more than a month or two behind M$N. :cool:

Valtar, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  7. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen it with my directory (well sort of). www.jtrotta.com has been around for a year or so but all the subpages are two weeks old at the most.

Google = 659
    Yahoo! = 31
    MSN = 24

But when I do a site command for www.pxgo.com a site only a few months old, I get

Google = 167
    Yahoo! = 0
    MSN = 1,177

jim, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  8. keglius

keglius Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I agree... MSN search results update much faster than Yahoo's. I have noticed that Yahoo haven't updated titles and descriptions for more than a month...

keglius, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  9. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Especiallt with new sites. Google has some old favorites (like my directory) which it is very fast to pick up changes on. on www.eslgo.net after I make a change the cache in Google is updated withing 2 days. One of my new sites isn't even indexed...

jim, Mar 24, 2005 IP