1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo not showing results (just N/A)

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by slowtalkinjones, Aug 28, 2012.

Hi Shawn,I'm testing the term "Parma sidewalks" for http://www.ClevelandBricksAndMortar.com/CityPages/Parma/sidewalks.asp. Bing shows rank of 3, but Yahoo shows N/A. If you do the same query on Yahoo directly, that page is the #3 result just like on Bing.Any ideas?

slowtalkinjones, Aug 28, 2012 IP
  2. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, Google appears to not be working either. If you search manually on Google, the referenced page shows up in position 9, and I am watching the Google API console, and it's count hasn't budged off of zero. Any ideas?Thanks

slowtalkinjones, Aug 29, 2012 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For Yahoo... Yahoo shut down their API and simply no longer have a way to make queries to it. You probably should just disable the Yahoo keywords. They made this change when they no longer *had* results of their own (Yahoo results are really Bing results now anyway).

For Google... it should be fine. Make sure you have the latest version of the script (you can find it under settings) and try clicking a keyword to run the query for it manually and see if it returns any sort of error there.

digitalpoint, Sep 1, 2012 IP
  4. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. I only tested Yahoo because it was on the drop-down list. So, ignoring Yahoo, Bing works, and Google doesn't. I have verified the Google API settings several times, including just now. The Google API key on the keyword tracker page is correct - I copied from google and compared to the entry on the tracker page, and they are identical. From the Google API dashboard, it shows the Project ID (this is the API key), the Service is Custom Search, and status is green "no known issues".I do have the latest version of the script, and I did (several times) click directly on a keyword to run it manually, and it did not show any errors. When I did that the Last Check date changed to "Today".The Google API console still shows a count of zero.Ideas?

slowtalkinjones, Sep 2, 2012 IP
  5. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    One other point. Clicking on an individual keyword for Bing gives the popup black box showing the surrounding results, but that does not happen for Google. There is no popup.

slowtalkinjones, Sep 2, 2012 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What version of PHP are you using on you server?

digitalpoint, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  7. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    5.3.13 running on Server 2008 with IIS7

slowtalkinjones, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just had a look at your account, and your Google API key is not correct. There is a screenshot on the settings page that should show exactly where you get the Google API key (it's going to be a bunch of random letters/numbers).

9. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe Google does it that way any more. Your link takes you to a dashboard page that allows you to create a Project, associate one or more Services with that project, and register an API for that Project. The API registration allows you to create your own API key, as long as it is unique.Is there a separate way to test the API key?thx

slowtalkinjones, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just double checked, and created a new project and it still appears to be working the way as shown in the screenshot. I couldn't find anywhere that it allowed me to create my own API key. Any chance you could post a screenshot of what you are seeing exactly?

11. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn,I took a series of screenshots that are in the file Images for DigitalPoint.zip.They show the exact sequence of steps now offered by the Google API console. View then in the time sequence they are taken. Each file has a name describing that step.As you can see, the API console requires me to create the Project ID, so I give it a meaningful name.thx

slowtalkinjones, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right... you need to create a project, and then click on "API Access" to get your key for it.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  13. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I may have confused a Project ID with the API key. As you will see from the image, though, that API Access Key page has changed somewhat. Now it lists "Key for browser apps (with referers) ", and gives the option to create a new Server key or a new browser key. It has already generated a browser key. I'm assuming the browser key is what I want. True? I copied that API key into one of my settings and tried it, but no change yet in results - and no count shows up on the Reports tab. I'll wait a while and try again later.thx again.

slowtalkinjones, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It does look like it changes slightly in it's labeling, but it's still the same thing... you are looking for the "Simple API Access" API key, which is "Key for browser apps (with referers)", with any referrer allowed.

Also, make sure you enabled "Custom Search API" under the "Services" tab.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  15. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn,Ah, still no joy. I turned on PHP error logging and got this when I manually clicked on one of the keywords to update it:"Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() on line 14".I hope that helps.

slowtalkinjones, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  17. slowtalkinjones

slowtalkinjones Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Shawn, I'm sure you are fully annoyed so far, but bear with me a bit more. Implementing CURL was simply a matter of deleting the semi-colon in the php.ini. But it still didn't work. I put in a bunch of diagnostics into your code to trace the problem - not so easy since I'm not a PHP programmer. Anyway, here's what I get:curl url is https://www.googleapis.com/customsearch/v1?prettyprint=false&key=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&cx={}&q=Parma+cleveland+area+masonry+company&start=1/in get_page from curl, string len: 0Curl error: SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failedIs is safe to presume from this that the server I am using must, and does not, have an appropriate SSL certificate? (I have no experience with SSL, sorry).thx again

slowtalkinjones, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sounds like your host has a very old version of the cURL library installed that has out of date SSL certificates.

Any chance you could update the cURL lib on the server? If not, another option would be to disable the SSL verifications of the host/peer.

digitalpoint, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  19. flexiblefine

flexiblefine Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm having the same issue on a newly-created account. I'm running PHP 5.3.4 on Windows Server 2008 (IIS 7).
    My Google API key appears to be correct.
    When I click on a keyphrase in the tracker, the page refreshes but the Google ranking doesn't change from "N/A".

flexiblefine, Oct 4, 2012 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What version of cURL do you have installed in your PHP?

digitalpoint, Oct 4, 2012 IP