1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo listing fast ?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Fishing Forum, Sep 14, 2004.

Yahoo is indexing web sites fast at the moment - My new site was spidered and listed in Yahoo in 16 days :)

Or is it just me and my lucky charms that did it

Plus general traffic from Yahoo is constantly growing as discussed in other posts

Go Yahoo - nice to know it try finally

Fishing Forum, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems to be a bit faster for me too.

Slurp's going crazy on one of my sites at the moment too...

Indexed 150 pages in the space of 2 weeks... Not too bad really. (Although there are roughly 500 pages in the site).

It is an improvement, but still not good enough.

SEbasic, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    SEbasic, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  4. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo seems to be caching titles of some of my sites that i have changed a month ago. As far as picking up brand new sites... not too sure.

pstatus, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  5. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    My experience has been just the opposite, Google indexs more pages than Yahoo and indexs them faster.

Mel, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  6. hergo

hergo Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, Yahoo has hit almost 1000 new pages on my site in the past 2 - 3 weeks.

Funny thing though, only 3 new pages have appeared in the results so far.

hergo, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the problem. Y! is soooooooo sloooooooowwwwww.

SEbasic, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  8. hergo

hergo Peon

Best Answers:
    Got to admit though Google has yet to go through the new pages. About a week old and its only hit one page. Even MSN has indexed them.

hergo, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    See Andy Beal's comments about this issue in this article.

minstrel, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  10. hergo

hergo Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting. But how can they compete with the other search engines such as Google and MSN if they intentionally only have a fraction of a search database?

I can understand them intentionally not including some sites in their directory. Especially if they've submitted via yahoo's free directory submission or someting similar.

Can see them looking at mine saying "He can pay".

hergo, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  11. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, the question that is buzzing all over the place. And one that I have no real answer for. But I do know that they are not playing favorites when it comes to the black hole that the Slurp pages fall into and never sees the light of day in the Search Index -- even Microsoft themselves are not showing up in that index at the same level as they are at Google.

There was recent post at WPW concerning some doorway pages that had javascript redirects attached to them. These were a certain section of Microsoft's Asian portal into their Solution Marketplace for that division. While all of the talk was concerned about spamming Google, my mind went off in another direction and wondered what was happening over at Yahoo (I am happy to see how it plays out at Google over the next couple of weeks anyway).

What I found was that there were close to 600 pages at Google to a mere 70+ at Yahoo. Big disparate gap.

It does show that Yahoo is not playing any favorites when it comes to inclusion -- the pages get Slurped and then they vanish into thin air regardless of who you are. Not even Microsoft is immune -- maybe they should sign up for Yahoo's SiteMatch program eh? :D

With that said, I could not find any of the terms making it into the top 100 for those doorway pages or the pages they redirected to in the Yahoo SERP. This is pretty strange in itself, and is another problem with their Search right now.

Dodger, Sep 15, 2004 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  12. hergo

hergo Peon

Best Answers:
    Makes you wonder what the hell Yahoo's around for.

I can't remember if it was here, but there was a post about them moving into electronics. They've got the Y! on TV's, mobile phones, etc now apparently.

What the hell is Yahoo focusing their efforts on? Definately doesn't seem to be their search.

hergo, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Making money anyway they can :D

I'm of the opinion that Yahoo doesn't give a rats as* about it's "organic" results. Either that, or they just don't understand search. With the bank they have to play with, I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with them not understanding what was going on in search.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  14. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Maybe give bad organic results to drive sales of Overture. :)

digitalpoint, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  15. Jenny Barclay

Jenny Barclay Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of our sites get G daily, but Y is 2 months behind; we are not in Y dir.

Jenny Barclay, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  16. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know one of my sites is a forum but Yahoo has not left it alone for about 1 month , with not an hour goes by with out a Yahoo friend being there . Its not new to Yahoo just this last month seems to be doing alot more just hope its not like the MSN spider - lots going on but no results

Fishing Forum, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That is precisely the problem and the question, Fishing Forum.

These days, Slurp seems to be a very busy little creature, skittering about all over the place reading everything it can find.

But then what? What the heck is it doing with all these data?

MSN at least showed us a preview of what it is trying to do, although they know and we know they aren't yet where they want to be o will be in due course. What is Yahoo doing?

minstrel, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  18. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know any techniques for getting pages into Yahoo's index?

I have one site which has 614 pages in Google, but has only 3 in Yahoo.... and it's been around for about 4 years now.

Anyone think of anything I can do to try and pick it up a bit in Yahoo?

nadlay, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Other than paying them, no... I'm not sure whether it's by design or incompetence but Yahoo search is pretty weak. They should have stuck with Google feeds...

minstrel, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  20. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Minstrel is referring to the SiteMatch program. But even if you are admitted to the program is no guarantee that those "paid crawls" will make it into the Yahoo Index.

Of course, I hear about the non-paid free crawl horror stories -- not sure if this will apply to the SiteMatch crawls. I am just assuming that it would be the same pool of pages that they dump it all into.

If SiteMatch is bypassing that pool of pages and allowing them to go directly to the Index without passing Go -- then that would probably raise a big stink, eh? Anyone using SiteMatch around here that can verify that?

Dodger, Oct 6, 2004 IP