1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo.is for sale

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by ryukenden, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryukenden

ryukenden Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, yahoo might be waiting to act on it?

ryukenden, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  2. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    Reread his post...

Fka200, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  3. ryukenden

Best Answers:
    Yes, I have.

ryukenden, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  4. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo.is/a.fag.php

LinkBliss, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  5. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Like I said before, I don't see the illegality of using Yahoo or any other trademark in domain name for a totally different business. But I agree though that it is a risk, and it isn't worth putting $100k for an .is domain. Yahoo.is simply doesn't have the market value that high.

brandnewx, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  6. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It might be wroth quite a lot if they hold onto it, chances are Yahoo! will want it eventually, Google has one after all. I doubt anyone on eBay will buy it for $100,000 though, most people will believe that Yahoo! already has some legal claim over it like half the fools in this thread. I wouldn't mind owning it, I think I'd put some kind of Iceland travel site on there, maybe some sort of extreme sport type vacation thing?

Astroman, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  7. Peter Brown

Peter Brown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems to have attracted a lot of attention, the hit counter on that auction is 5520.

Peter Brown, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  8. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    If he put $5k as starting price, I'm going to bid. The value is somewhere near that. I would just park the domain or develop it into a mega utility website. I own some nice one-word domains like tutorials.fm and invade.in (for proxy website), but it ain't gonna sell above $1k.

9. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok anyway, I guess everyone here knows PayPalSucks.com. You see there's a big "PayPal" in there and it's a trademark of a huge corporation that has millions of dollars to hire the best lawyers to sue the owner of PayPalSucks.com. But why has it not happened? It obviously shows that even you abuse somebody's trademark in your domain name, it'll never mean they can take your domain, and you don't need a million dollar to protect it like somebody claimed in the last couple posts. If PayPal wants to pay a million to shoot PayPaySucks.com down, they will directly buy it from the owner but not paying lawyers to fighting a losing battle.

10. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    paypalsucks can be viewed as a parody, as it's a parody theres a kind of loop hole in the law where you have to use the trademark in order to create your pardoy. comes under the "fair use" clause in the law.. more

blacknet, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  11. ryukenden

Best Answers:
    It is interesting view.

ryukenden, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  12. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yahoo is gonna get that domain name soon. all they have to do is to file an UDRP dispute and the domain is gone

sultanofseo, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  13. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    I rest my case. You've proved my point that somebody with a trademark like "Yahoo" cannot just file a form to get the domain they want.

brandnewx, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  14. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PayPal would stand a much better chance of getting PayPal sucks than Yahoo! would of getting yahoo.is, seeing as "paypal" isn't an actual word and can only mean one thing and be associated with one... yet, even in this case, paypalsucks aren't pretending to have anything to do with PayPal, they aren't hoping to fool people into thinking they are connected, quite the opposite in fact.

I think PayPal doesn't care about that site and is deliberately leaving it alone to show they don't care. They'd probably worry about making themselves look dishonest control freaks if they bought it out or tried an UDRP dispute to get rid of it.

As for the other thing, "yahoo" is just a word and can't be taken off anyone.

Google would be able to do it, but they're sensible enough to register all iterations of google.whatever in the first place. However, if Google's founders had been more lucky and managed to get Googol.com, which they couldn't because some math geek already had it, they would not have been able to claim any rights to googol.is because it is a real word, any more than the current owner of Googol.com can.

So, in a way, making up your own word for a company name can have its advantages, i.e. people can't just use it and say its just another word in the dictionary.

Astroman, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  15. Fed

Fed Peon

Best Answers:
    if I owned such a domain (grey area, yahoo could or couldn't get it) ebay is where I would sell it

it's full of people looking for the "big deal" and yahoo.is sounds really like a good one impulsively thinking

Fed, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  16. ryukenden

Best Answers:
    Yes, you may find someone who has got little knowledge but lots of money.

17. pitbullt

pitbullt Peon

Best Answers:
    why not just try and sell to yahoo??

pitbullt, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  18. FatKidUnleashed

FatKidUnleashed Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL no one has even bid on it.

FatKidUnleashed, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  19. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    $3 from me :) is that a start lol

seriously though, the ebay idea is by far the best; if you want the blacker shade of idea then:

1: 301 it to yahoo.com
    2: ping it's url to every blog you can, and repeatedly to google, + add url, wait for it to get listed
    3: submit it to internet archive, get it thumbnailed, and in alexa etc.
    3a: change dns to point to yahoo servers temporarily and keep checking whois on domaintools till they log it was once pointed at yahoo ip's (lololol)
    4: wait for the next pr change in 3 months
    5: sell it to some mug on ebay with all the pagerank, internet archive, backlink and related proof they need. (with a little disclaimer about pr only being a guidline and provided by the g toolbar)
    6: don't mention me

or take my $3 for it lol

blacknet, Jan 12, 2008 IP
  20. ryukenden

Best Answers:
    The seller tries to put yahoo in his or her message in the auction hoping yahoo will bid for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.