1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo is dieing

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by ListedHosting, Jan 30, 2008.

Alright so i been reading up on yahoo and its recent low amount of traffic and was wondering what you guys think yahoo could do to get through this rough patch. This of course excluding "Becoming more like Google" as they have already stated that they will not follow or try to copy goggles tactics.

ListedHosting, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  2. SuperBlog

SuperBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, their search engine traffic never will be as high as Google's, because of course Google is better. Google has a lot of free products and services, such as Google Adsense, Google Earth, etc. but Yahoo has plenty of things such as Yahoo Answers, and all of the videos and new articles on their site, along with their webmail. I think they should work on improving the features of their site that Google DOESN'T HAVE, so they'll be very strong on those points.

Yahoo will never beat Google but I don't think it's going to "die", either. :)

SuperBlog, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  3. MakeADifference

MakeADifference Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember reading a story somewhere that about 10 years back, askjeeves was one of the top seach engines, then yahoo, google etc.
    What happened after that was everyone else drifted from being mere search engine to more like portal site. Google still remained search engine and they are much better and relevant.

The only bad part is : It is too difficult to get good ranking at google..!!

MakeADifference, Jan 30, 2008 IP
    Ginene likes this.
  4. raredog

raredog Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt Yahoo would die. Yahoo is a strong company!

Yeah right! They gave me PR4 before, and they took it away just like that. I never asked them for it anyway.

raredog, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  5. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    If anyone could overtake Google, it's Yahoo. They need to get their sh!t together to get anywhere. Hell, even MSN is starting to send me a lot of traffic. Nothing like Google, and I don't think they stand a chance vs Google... but Yahoo? Different story. Depends on management and how they start promoting/improving what they have.

Fka200, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  6. verticity

verticity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but the fect is tht google and yahoo both are using same database. thier results have similarity

verticity, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  7. ListedHosting

ListedHosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Umm im not too sure about that. I really dont think they run from the same db might be wrong though.

ListedHosting, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  8. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL yeah they may get some of there SE inclusions from the same place (the internet) but having the same data base is a STRONG infraction of the truth . . . but then again you never know . . . but i highly doubt that they are the SAME data base

locals, Jan 30, 2008 IP
    Lever likes this.
  9. lawless87

lawless87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well they are laying off half of there staff so that tells you something about the one time giant

lawless87, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  10. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yahoo has nothing to offer at the moment, they used to have the email, but now with gmail they are losing it
    only yahoo messenger is popular in some countries, without it yahoo would be almost dead

rehash, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  11. Dollar

Dollar Active Member

Best Answers:
    They should get rid of the portal. Obviously a Portal != what people want so they go to Google and there page loads in 1/10th of second and there no distractions just a search bar and a logo.
    People want to search.

Dollar, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  12. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    It'd be sad if Yahoo ever went under; it's in the interests of the Internet as a whole that there's some diversity in search rather than just one giant "dominating" it all... How about we have a "Just Use Yahoo" day where everybody gives the highly officious oracle a boost? :)

Lever, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  13. SNaRe

SNaRe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google killed Yahoo i think.Yahoo must develope itself

SNaRe, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  14. caj

caj Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo just too complacent. It should have been focusing on delivering superior product right from the start. Just look at the many things that Yahoo did wrong. How many of you ever use Yahoo video for example?

caj, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  15. ravemaster

ravemaster Peon

Best Answers:
    BUt I like Yahoo search result more than google. Google had many junk result.

ravemaster, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  16. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I think you are barking up at the wrong tree, Yahoo is essentially a portal trying to get a pie of the search engine, they may not be doing that well in that arena, certainly they are not dying.

wisdomtool, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  17. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo mail is better than Gmail. I for one don't like the thought of having my e-mails read so a jerk can serve me contextual advertising.

Google may have the search engine, but for me Yahoo Mail is still the choice.

Regards, George

geegel, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  18. thunderbolt007

thunderbolt007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I notice that also that Yahoo is now following the Google Trend...

They follow the adsense which is their yahoo publisher is one example...

thunderbolt007, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  19. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    YPN is a very poor follower of Adsense, speaking the other way round, it can also be said that Google is following Yahoo by offering services such as Gmail, Google Groups etc.

wisdomtool, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  20. bleuken

bleuken Peon

Best Answers:
    in my opinion Yahoo! is not dying even if they plan to lay-off / cut-off a lot of their staff. Even they are not frequently crawling some sites, they are still one of the best search engine on the WWW. Aside from that, in our place we're still using Yahoo! Messenger and I still play on their Game site. According to Alexa.com, in our country Yahoo! is @ rank #1

bleuken, Jan 31, 2008 IP