1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Express Worth it?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by cmeinck, Apr 10, 2005.

I am listed in Yahoo, but I've never managed to get into the directory. I see various bots on my site often...the major players.. Google, MSN, Yahoo Slurp. Does it make sense for me to submit to Yahoo? I'm a PR 4 right now.

Thanks.
    Chris

cmeinck, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  2. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I have been in the yahoo directory for 2 or 3 months. Instead of the title of my homepage, when that page appears in yahoo results...the name of my company comes up.
    I am losing traffic from this b/c the name of my company doesnt look as relevant as the keywords I am targeting with the page. Before paying to get into the directory, I was already #1 for my main keyword. That has stayed the same.

That said...you get some links which could possibly increase your google PR. Go through some of the older posts on this board re: the directory and you will find some more thoughts on the matter.

ROAR, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  3. weblaunch

weblaunch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I remember the old days when you could get your site listed on Yahoo directory in a couple of days for free! Now they're charging what...$299? How times have changed!

weblaunch, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Well - couple of things.

1) it's not a one time fee - it's annual.
    2) Your page in the results will have your listing description and anchor text. Good for some, bad for others.
    3) Yahoo just re-organized their directory and therefore the PR is low on many pages, so that devalues it at least temporarily.
    4) Some niches actually have people digging through the directory, others yield nothing. If you are 8 clicks from the main directory page, you probably will get no traffic from it.

Oh, and, if you are going to do it, get everything in order. Any outbound 404s will get you rejected. You have to have contact information I think 1 or 2 clicks from the home page. There is a list of requirements up at yahoo. Look there and make sure you meet all of them. It's a waste to pay 299 and get rejected because your address isn't on the site.

nevetS, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  5. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    PR doesn't matter in the directory anymore all their links are javascript now which I think really lowers their value. Rumour has it that yahoo asia directory still has hard links though and the express should get you in there. The directory is definetly not worth as much as it used to be.

alias420, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  6. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your responses. I think I'm going to hold off. I recently lost my day job, so I'd only invest in the Yahoo directory if it made sense. Every so often I check the directory and it just burns me up not to be there...and to see my competition. Perhaps, they are not receiving traffic, but are $299 lighter in the pocket!

cmeinck, Apr 12, 2005 IP
  7. inverse

inverse Banned

Best Answers:
    it would be good if u r listed in yahoo directory

inverse, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  8. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    Try going the free route if you have a quality site they will probably let it in. I have had success getting free listings. Usually on my free info sites though. Seems alot tougher to get a retail site in there.

alias420, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  9. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure they would consider me a "commercial" site as I have Adsense and affilate links throughout my site. I just checked and this is the section that I would be submitting for....

Still not sure. Looks like a nice spot to be in. I've tried Standard Submit a few times...thinking about submitting and wishing upon a star. If I'm indeed Commercial (and hope to be with a new small online shop), then I need to decide whether to go the $299 or not.

How can I tell if I have outbound 404's?

I have a link to Contact Information on the homepage -- that jumps the user to a form.

Here's my site .

Thanks!
    Chris

cmeinck, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  10. windy

windy Active Member

Best Answers:
    not worth do it, I think

windy, Apr 30, 2005 IP