1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo! Directory influence on SERPs

Discussion in 'Directories' started by vinyl, Sep 15, 2004.

Ok, speaking about traffic that come from it some say that they get something, others get nothing and Im sure there are some who get plenty of it, am I right? ;) It certanly depends of how deep category is so I dont know, lets neglect direct traffic - What about SERPs (not only @Yahoo) - did you notice any significant improvement which you can certanly tell that its based purely on Yahoo! directory listing?

For $299.00 recurring annual fee, you better tell me that you did. :D

vinyl, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'd like to hear something on that one too. :)

john_loch, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  3. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe that search engines (say, Google) would treat sites differently 'cause they are listed in Yahoo Directory or dmoz. The PageRank and relevance of the listing page can boost your SERP. For $299.00 ?

dejaone, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    A link is a link I guess. Even though the Yahoo links are scripted redirect links, Google has figured them out and will assign you proper credit for those links -- they now show up in backlink checks. Weird thing is that I have not seen them show up in Yahoo results yet (haven't checked for a while).

With that said -- for $299, how many director links can you get from other well-established directories for a fraction of the cost? If I was given the $299 to spend right now on directory listings, I would spread it out over 6 or 7 good directories and not lump it into just one.

Dodger, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  5. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a Yahoo listing a couple years ago and it certainly wasn't worth it from a PR or traffic standpoint and it really didn't seem to affect my rankings at Google (which at the time Yahoo was using Google's results). And I got maybe 40-50 referrels per month that came from the directory.

I agree with Dodger about spreading the money around to different directories. I'll take the $40 one-time fee at Bluefind w/a PR of 5 or greater over Yahoo's yearly $299 fee.

As for whether a Yahoo listing affects Yahoo's current search results...now that's something I'd be curious to know more about.

SENewbie, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  6. GandalfDir

GandalfDir Guest

Best Answers:
    Even if it would affect search results i still believe that it would not be that significant. How would Yahoo! decide whom to put first when two websites paid 299$ and are the same type of resources say both talk about directory script. They cannot be both number 1. Or will Yahoo! put first those who paid first :) he.

At any rate i agree that it is much worth to pay 299$ to other directories and get more at least PR. Moreover there are some other ways to be nubmer one in yahoo search results.

So i guess that only reason to pay 299$ is to be listed. But there are no point in being listed in Yahoo! - However there is one

It is normal that directory owners at some time when starting their directories look for resources at other directories. Sometimes i think directories exist for other directories owners :eek: So being in Yahoo! will make your chances higher to be added to other directories but this works with DMOZ much better.

So my verdict 299$ is not worth it for Yahoo!

GandalfDir, Sep 16, 2004 IP
  7. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
    I have one of my sites in Yahoo directory. I get zero traffic from it but I do get a bit of G PageRank boost. So, no, it is NOT worth the $300 per year.

Guess what? I paid Microsoft $49 per year to be in their directory and I get about 500 unique hits from that directory. Also, Google LIKES the MSN directory far better than Yahoo because my links in MSN come up in far better position while my Yahoo listing does not even show up in G.

PRBot.Com, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  8. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IM not sure about yahoo, but a DMOZ listing gets you listed on somewhere around 250 sites - that 250 links of various pr all over the web in one shot.....

joeychgo, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IM not sure about yahoo, but a DMOZ listing gets you listed on somewhere around 250 sites - that 250 links of various pr all over the web in one shot.....

joeychgo, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  10. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For my keyword topic, the yahoo directory is ranked 12th in serps. Do you believe it would have a google serps impact for the $299/year?

Dave

earlpearl, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  11. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nope. Check out your category. Yahoo uses some complicated redirect in their directory now. It used to be a straight link. I dont think you'll get any benefit from a listing at all.

lorien1973, Nov 18, 2004 IP
  12. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just browsed through all the top listed sites for a huge keyword phrase, One that I compete for. EVERY site that is listed ahead of me is in the yahoo directory. 8 months ago, I was ahead of these sites on a yahoo search. I just might have to bite the bullet and add $300 per year to my advertising budget.

SportsOutlaw, Nov 24, 2005 IP
  13. mjp92122

mjp92122 Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though Yahoo uses a redirect, Google still counts it as a backlink. I think it helps out in yahoo rankings if you notice the top results for most searches but it's not necessary to rank well as long as you have plenty of good links.

mjp92122, Nov 24, 2005 IP
  14. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    ya its $299 per yr but its a business advertising expense
    so it s a write off like any other type of advertising
    so take the dive and just do it..

bloodwrath, Nov 25, 2005 IP