1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Criteria for Search Positions

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Elee, Mar 23, 2005.

About six to eight weeks ago, one of our sites, www.cardsshoppe.com, began losing search term positions in Yahoo across the board, and now it is all but gone. Our SEO guy have reviewed this problem many times but is at a loss for an explanation or resolution.

We have lots of links, both inbound and outbound, mostly relative, a PR 5, is a paid sponsor in Yahoo Directory, yet we have gradually lost most our listings.

The only explanation our SEO guy has is that most of the top listings now have either "invitations" or "announcements" in its name, whereby our site does NOT. It has "cards". We are in the invitations and announcements cards business.

Has anyone else had similar experiences as ours, or are we the only one? Since we have excellent search term positions in Google and MSN, we are reluctant to make any sinificant changes to our meta tags desciptions.

Thanks for your comments.

Elee, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  2. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The name or title of the home-page of your site is "Baby Shower Invitations, Graduation Announcements, Birthday Invitations".

The "cards" you are talking about is the url or website address. It plays a factor in where your site ranks, but is not the most important issue.

I would consider losing your seo person to be honest, if I am reading this correctly.

ROAR, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  3. webcertain

webcertain Guest

Best Answers:
    Keyworded domain name - url is a bit of a myth, it might give you a bit of a boost for a non competitive keyword, but to make it the reason of a drop in rankings (fairly competitive keywords I presume) is a joke :D
    Good luck,
    Johann

webcertain, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  4. Elee

Elee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't do a very good job of explaining the issue.

If you look at the listings on Yahoo for, say baby shower invitations, you will see that most, if not all, have the words "inviations" and/or "baby shower invitations" either in their domain name or the extended url shown. Say www.yourwebsite.com/babyshowerinvitations

Our SEO guys is saying that although our site is optomized for baby shower invitations (and, by the way, we are listed number 1 for this seach term on Google), it does not have any of the words "baby shower invitations" in our domain name or the url for baby shower invitations.

Looking at the current listings for baby shower invitations on Yahoo, the listed sites seem to all have either invitations or baby shower invitations in their extended url shown.

I thank you for you comments.

Elee, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If that would be the reason then Yahoo is a crap search engine.

Maybe all your competitors are paying for Overture Sitematch. That will knock you down a few spots.

T0PS3O, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  6. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    And why is your SEO guy not creating or suggesting you create a page to stand with the others with the proper keywords and phrases? Why are you researching this and not him?

Why is he not trying to saturate the engine with relative links? How is he relating "card" to "invitaion" and expecting a result?

Why are you expecting to see the term "cards" or a hit on "cards" searching for "baby shower invitations"?

I'm no expert, but the common sense questions could go on and on.

noppid, Mar 23, 2005 IP
  7. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah sounds like you have a bum SEO guy. Instead of being at a loss he should be trying things and seeing if they work. If your SEOing for baby shower invitations that file name should have already been baby-shower-invitations.html I can understand you wanting to learn SEO and get your page back but as mentioned earlier he should be the one doing the research if you are paying him for SEO.

alias420, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  8. kdobson99

kdobson99 Guest

Best Answers:
    Get a new SEO... quick IMO.

kdobson99, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  9. myamar

myamar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why would you change a SEO guy who put you no 1 in google?
    As long as I'm no 1, I wouldn't change the page either.
    Make some pages optimised for yahoo.

myamar, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  10. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I can make you number one for "Green Turkey Apples"

Does that make me a good SEO?

yfs1, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It does if that kw generates increased traffic resulting in increased revs. If the two are related, then yes, it makes for good SEO.

Mia, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  12. myamar

myamar Active Member

Best Answers:
    If that's what I sell, yes.

myamar, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I think people are missing the point. I proposed a non competetive word that any amateur could rank with in 5 minutes worth of work.

The original poster was putting all their faith in their SEO because they got them ranked for a noncompetetive word. The subsequent reasoning given for not being able to rank for a more competetive word showed their real ability.

yfs1, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    True, but the non-competitive kw's are the best to focus on IMHO. If you use enough of them, and they are brining in traffic and convert a sale, then they are just as good as the competitive kw's. Personally I like to focuse on 5 or so non-competitive kw's vs.s one very competitive one. I get great results, and it (like you said) can rank with 5 minutes worth of work.

Either way, I would not say that a good SEO is one that ranks you high for a competitive kw alone, but more one that is able to convert sales and traffic as a result of whatever ranking they obtain.

Mia, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  15. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience discrepancies in rankings between Yahoo and Google generally boil down to one main difference in their ranking algorithms:

Google weighs links from quality sites more
    Yahoo looks at on-page text more, including higher KW density

Almost every time that I have a nice #1 or top 5 spot for a solid keyphrase in Google and I'm not in the top 10 in Yahoo I find that the Yahoo sites simply have much higher KW density, to the point where it hurts their site from a user's viewpoint. Most of the time I just let it be rather than ramping up my KW density as A) that would hurt me in Google and B) it makes for a bad read and lower conversion rates. What good is more traffic if your conversion rate drops to the point that it nullifies that effect?

ephricon, Apr 7, 2005 IP