1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo converts better?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by fryman, Apr 5, 2005.

I am promoting a pay per lead program using a landing page. It is top ranked at MSN, so I was getting nice free traffic. I was having a convertion rate of about 13%.

A few days ago I got my site ranked at #9 at Yahoo, so I started getting a few visitors from there. Although only a few people click on a site in the #9 spot, the ones that do seem to be very well targeted, my convertion rates has jumped up to almost 17% now.

I am impressed on how well the traffic from Yahoo converts. I will now focus all my energy on this engine because Yahoo seems to be getting tougher to rank now, it used to be a piece of cake having a good rank over there.

fryman, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I dropped from my main KW phrase in yahoo and I'm not sure why. I did notice conversions and traffic were up quite a bit from their engine. I'm hoping to slowly crawl back into Yahoo.

Infiniterb, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  3. Blagger

Blagger Peon

Best Answers:
    Not to put a downer on your news, but your listing at Yahoo has only been there a few days, so after some time, you may notice your conversion rate drop. There is no real reason why conversion rates would be higher from one search engine than another.

Blagger, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  4. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a very naive remark that SE conversions are the same

The same happens for me between Y! and Google

I have seen others say that the demographics between the 2 SEs are widely different. EG: My mum loves Google for all the free info -- I believe the people using Y! are better educated and know what they want.

leeds1, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It works like this. Full of faith punters try Google. If they don't find it they'll swap to MSN. If they don't find it they'll try Yahoo and get fed up if by the time they reach the end of page 1 they still can't find it. They're fuming now and are so fed up with it that they'll get it from any odd site now regardless of whether it meets their standards or not.

You're in the lucky Yahoo #9 spot!

On a serious note, here's my conversion stats of last month for one shop (UK):

www.google.co.uk 1.67%
    www.google.com 0.60%
    aolsearch.aol.co.uk 1.49%
    search.msn.co.uk 1.84%
    uk.search.yahoo.com 1.24%
    web.ask.com 0.68%
    sea.search.msn.co.uk 1.49%
    search.yahoo.com 0.79%
    froogle.google.co.uk 2.33%
    search.wanadoo.co.uk 1.15%

Please note this list is order by sales revenue which correlates to actual visitors ranging from 13,500 for g.co.uk to 43 from froogle uk so some conversion ratios arem ore significant than others (Yahoo traffic is crap to say the least).

T0PS3O, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Actually there is.

1.) It has a lot to do with demographics. Some sites DO convert better on certain engines becuase the users can be very diffirent depending on industry

2.) You description may be displayed differently depending on the engine. This can mean a major difference in conversions as the person clicking on the ad has a very specific frame of mind when reading the description displayed.

You have to find which engine converts best for you as it can vary greatly depending on your site/product

yfs1, Apr 6, 2005 IP