1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo Chokes on it's own email!

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Help Desk, Jun 15, 2004.

Yahoo can't keep up with it's new email service. It's mail service is buckling under this new load. See how Yahoo Chokes even has some effect on its main site.

This might show you the type of system Google intends to be running with its Gmail.

Help Desk, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  2. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    I did notice my Yahoo account was agonizingly slow today, but its so full of spam anymore that I hardly ever use it anyway.

SENewbie, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Talk about biting off more you can chew. Rumour has it, Google was talking about 1GB email for 3 years and preparing for it. If Yahoo! thinks they can turn on a switch and handle all the traffic of ALL its users, they are nuts. Google has done it right here. They are slowly filtering in users and not over loading servers. If Google was ready, they could spring Gmail on the public and Yahoo email would take a huge dive.

NewComputer, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  4. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:

The plus point of Yahoo is that they will not scan emails to deliver targeted ads. There are many people who won't be using Gmail becuase of this very reason and I guess 100MB offered by Yahoo is sufficient for most.

vlead, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Did you guys not hear of the name servers crashing, this has affected more than Yahoo, name servers caused the problems even before the upgrade.

Think Bling, does your brother work at Google? Because you seem to like to promote Google Spyware everywhere you go.

The following is from the article that "ThinkBling" posted

Apparently, Yahoo was not alone. According to a posting on the front page of the Internet Storm Center, starting at 8:30 a.m. EDT, a number of large Internet presences were affected by a "widespread Akamai [Technologies Inc.] DNS issue," including Google Inc., Microsoft Corp., Federal Express Corp., Xerox Corp. and Apple Computer Inc.

Maybe you should read the articles before planting false ideas on DP like you like to do in your Google PR campaign rampages.

See the other threads on the blackouts and the upgrades on this subject here at DP if you want to see the truth about the situation.

anthonycea, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  6. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you read the article that I posted at the beginning of this thread, it mentions that there was a DDOS attack also going that did not help the situation but the main culprit was that Yahoo was straining with new load.

Help Desk, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    ThinkBling, I have nothing against you personally, but if you would make a better effort at being honest it would be great.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/newsarticle.asp?guid={9ACF70C9-BA00-412F-A6B1-77EF1AFEB880}&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=

You like to tell everyone (and make up crap) about me right, well now it is time to look at what you are doing here at DP

You seem to be on the wrong end of a lot of subjects, even as you try to find holes in my position.

Next what load? Do you think that more Email comes in because they increase storage, the same amount comes in to the servers, it is not delivered if the account is full, Right?

8. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    This thread was started to discus why Yahoo choked. There was another thread that detailed it in general. Here is a quote from that thread.

This post was at 7:08 PM, well after the attack occurred.

9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Think Bling, don't you think that the problem with AK has something to do with this? Or Not?

10. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    I think that in the morning it did. Then after that I am guessing people started signing up and using the service more and more. I am also guessing that spam that was previously being sent to inboxes that would deny it because it was full, started getting accepted.

Yahoo should have phased this in instead of giving it to everybody all at once.

11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I still don't see how that is any different than Yahoo scanning your email trying to determine if it's spam or not?

digitalpoint, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    The difference is this DP: once the message is reported as spam by MEMBERS, that message is targeted.

Next they are not building a ongoing profile on you and your emails by filtering out spam, a giant difference.

Your personal emails are not threaded to build a profile or constantly scanned to enlarge your data profile.

Everytime I post on DP you build a profile on me, but I have agreed to this right?

My email is not to be used in that manner, if I send a quotation by Spymail to my customer on selling him a thousand Golf Balls, I do not want Walmart coming up with their $9.99 a dozen golf ball special being flashed before my customer as he is reading my quote for Golf Balls, can't you see a common pattern with Google yet Shawn?

They do the same thing with Trademark owners in the SERP's and that is why they have everyone under the Sun with a trademark putting them in lawsuits.

You look for a Ford Car, then Google flashes Chevy ads through ADWORDS next to the Trademark owners search listing, they can also feature high listings for ADSENSE publishers sites in those SERP's further placing competition ads before the viewer eyes when the surfer is redirected to the ADSENSE partners website.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?1002857

Claria does the same thing with their spyware tracking programs, this is why all tracking of page views by third parties should be outlawed. It enables these spyware software companies to break Trademark and even copyright laws by highjacking someones website or emails or whatever and use that text or trademark for greedy gain to target and sell advertising with the data mined and the profiles built by this.

13. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you rather have a picture of some half naked Guy advertising the "latest online dating service"?

That is what I found when I logged into Hotmail today... Annoying as heck... :mad:

SEbasic, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Where have you heard that Gmail is building ongoing profiles?

15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    All of these things should be outlawed, do you know that Mr. Gate is behind Email Postage, so when someone sends a email they will have to pay to send it.

He thinks that spammers would be unwilling to pay this fee, now if you want to get the email spam they would give you the money for reading this crap.

16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Read the Gmail page on my website, you will find a lot of links on this.

17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    His idea actually is to devote some CPU cycles to solving an equation, not paying a $ amount. Spammers that send out millions of spams will not have the resources to solve an equation for every outgoing email.

It's one of his better ideas IMO.

18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Shawn, you should work with M$ and IBM, yes he did talk about Email postage, look it up on your favorite SE if you want to.

M$ is going to change a lot of what we do in computing and so is IBM.

ADWARE companies can not be taken seriously.

19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    He talked about another possibility of an email "tax" that is paid by the sender, but only if the recipient tags it as spam. That of course will never fly, but both ideas can be found here:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-5147491.html

IBM and Microsoft couldn't afford me actually.

20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Combined sales 120 Billion, Shawn did you take your Master of the Universe Cape off again, jumping back into comedy?