1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

YAHOO Blew It...

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by CT SEO, Feb 12, 2008.

In my humble opinion I feel that yahoo has dropped the ball by declining the microsoft buyout. I feel that 44+ billion dollars is an overestimate of the companies worth considering their tiny market share of search traffic.

However even joining forces with MSFT I think the only one winning would be the executives at yahoo. Microsoft has a history of eating up failing search engines, and dealing with the aftermath with poor outcomes.

Google should look into a bargain buy of yahoo, and increase its SE dominance!

CT SEO, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  2. WebGeek182

WebGeek182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would disagree. Yahoo should definitely not sell out to Microsoft. I'm not sure where you're getting your market data from, but Yahoo has the second largest Search engine marketshare after Google, and ahead of Microsoft. Yahoo is anything but a failing search engine.

WebGeek182, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  3. Kagato

Kagato Banned

Best Answers:
    Would have been an interesting buy though.

Kagato, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  4. wavey

wavey Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't have thought that Google would be allowed to buy Yahoo given their large search market share, particularly in Europe.

wavey, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  5. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo.com is ranked the number one most visited website by Alexa, Compete and Quantcast. It has the second largest market share in terms on searches, which is a long way from tiny.

norfstar, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  6. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Yahoo has very good services like Flickr and BlogRush that are booming. Who gives a dam about their search market. I'm sorry but Yahoo is everything but a failing company, in my opinion they have made some very good purchases over the years.

Emperor, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  7. decoyjames

decoyjames Active Member

Best Answers:
    now they might divide yahoo, and just give the search to google...
    Or google will offer more

decoyjames, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  8. louisneill35

louisneill35 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo is ranked ahead of google in alexa, so how does that make them a failed SE ? Google may get more search engine traffic thats true, but Yahoo must have done something right to be the number one ranked site in the world, at least they were the last time i checked, and i for one would have liked to have seen microso*t buy yahoo and would hate to see google buy it as they in many peoples eyes dominate the internet already and think they can do what they want.

louisneill35, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  9. markyd

markyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, Yahoo isn't great because of it's search engine, it's the other services it offers, like Flickr.

Regards,

- Mark

markyd, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  10. CT SEO

CT SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that yahoo does well with other services such as flickr, but my main point was search... I don't know a single person that their number one search engine is yahoo, despite being #1 in alexa rankings.

I feel other products like yahoo answers and flickr are the majority of that traffic.

Doing side by side searches on yahoo and google produce extremely different results, and SEO is much different on the two. Yahoo tends to be extremely easy to get to the top through black hat SEO while google does a good job of weeding through the garbage, and for that reason alone I will not use yahoo for search (I don't have time to be a garbage man, I already have a full time job)...

Only time will tell in the SE game, look at ask.com they are total crap now (they used to be something) despite a large marketing and advertising campaign, promoting new search features this last year, I still have not found a decent targeted result when trying them.

I feel yahoo should have sold out when given the chance, IMHO they are destined to be on the level of ask.com over the next few years as people get wiser to good algorithms. As far as their other services, we shall see, trends change, and even myspace, the king of social webs is seeing the effects of marketing slow downs and ad revenues... people get tired of the same thing, cash in while you can!

CT SEO, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  11. ListedHosting

ListedHosting Banned

Best Answers:
    Also what the hell, what other search engines has yahoo bought?

ListedHosting, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  12. wpdaily

wpdaily Active Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft screws up everything they touch, so this is good news for Google.

wpdaily, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  13. peterboro

peterboro Banned

Best Answers:
    You don't measure a successful business model by your Alexa rank, it is measured in market share and earnings. Yahoo may be number 2 behind Google in search advertising but it is far behind in market share and earnings. Yahoo and Microsoft combined will still be far behind Google in search advertising. I think they should combine to challenge Google's lead in advertising, and keep Google from making all of the rules for internet marketers.

peterboro, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  14. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree totally..
    corporate greed at its finest :eek:

$44 billion is a huge over valuation IMHO and considering the feeble market share, search engine technology and profits that Yahoo has (does it make profit??!!)

Talk about a missed opportunity

seo daddy, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  15. wildstar

wildstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I was surprised Yahoo didn't take MS offer. MS practically baited them out of trouble.

wildstar, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  16. obay

obay Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh dear...

What will Microsoft do now? ha, microsoft shouldn't of even decied to buy Yahoo! it's well out their buisness.

obay, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  17. Malok

Malok Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, Yahoo is simply waiting to squeeze out some more money. Most reports have stated that experts feel that they will go up to $35 per share.

Smart IMO.

Now, if they decline the 2nd swing of the bat from MS - that would be dropping the ball. :)

Malok, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  18. thor22

thor22 Peon

Best Answers:
    good will buy yahoo.

thor22, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  19. ken123

ken123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft should buy baidu, not yahoo.

ken123, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  20. kozyavka

kozyavka Active Member

Best Answers:
    exactly, I am just surprised how many people don't even know that is doing financially well and is actually on the second place on this market. They obviously have dome some big mistakes by hiring wrong people for very important positions, but I think they will figure out how to deal with the current situation (in fact they already did)

kozyavka, Feb 12, 2008 IP