1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

yahoo backlinks not helping?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by ProductivePC, Mar 8, 2005.

We currently are going for a specfic keyword phrase in yahoo.

We have 22,400 backlinks in Yahoo however cannot seem to get past #22 in the SERP's. We bounce around from 22-35.

The top position is coming from the yahoo directory.

Does this mean that we should be in the yahoo directory in order to get top ranking within Yahoo?

It looks as if 90% of the ones above us are being pulled from the Yahoo Directory.

The next website near us that I can tell has only 3000 backlinks.

Can anyone offer some friendly advice?

ProductivePC, Mar 8, 2005 IP
  2. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    For free? :p :)

The site in your sig has some "exposed" html > look under "We will, in turn, advertise your website throughout our entire website for free."

You probably could find some help by searching the forum for "yahoo" and "yahoo directory" "yahoo backlinks".

added also look in the similar thread like at the bottom of this thread

example
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=7857

dirtdog1960theone, Mar 8, 2005 IP
  3. ohcnetwork

ohcnetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    It is my experience that Yahoo isn't so discreet about where you get your IBL from. For example, sig links seem to work quite well in Yahoo. Also IBL from within your website seem to work well. As you focus on getting IBL with targeted keyword in it as anchor text, you should be able to increase your SERP pretty steadily. It's not like Google that requires you to do a lot more to get good SERP.

ohcnetwork, Mar 9, 2005 IP
  4. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    :D That is not exposed HTML. That is html that is intentionally put there for people to copy. It uses &gt and &lt witht he ;'s

ProductivePC, Mar 9, 2005 IP
  5. ZachH

ZachH Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlinks work on Yahoo too, but you have to make sure that you have text links that include your keywords or image links with the right keywords in the ALT tags.

ZachH, Mar 13, 2005 IP
  6. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    We have over 25,000 baclinks in yahoo that all include the proper anchor text. Our pages are optimized for those search terms.

The number 1 website has only 1000 baclinks or something like that.

We are number 32.

I would like to know when they help because I have been seeing our backlinks increase tremendously however our ranking has stayed the same.

ProductivePC, Mar 14, 2005 IP
  7. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Productive, I can agree with you. It seems that you need to be in the yahoo directory to be top of the serps in yahoo!. We have 228,000 IBLs in yahoo (thanks to the co-op and many site-wides) many of which are very established news sites.. but can't seem to penetrate the first page for our keywords.

spdude, Mar 14, 2005 IP
  8. Kadence

Kadence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site that ranks #2 in Yahoo for a very competitive search term (just one spot above the Yahoo directory listing actually) without being in the directory. This site has about 31K backlinks in Yahoo, pretty much all through the Coop network.

I would think that a directory listing probably helps, but it's not necessary to rank well in Yahoo.

Kadence, Mar 14, 2005 IP
  9. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    I have broke down and submitted to the yahoo directory despite their horrible TOS agreement that I don't agree with 1 shred of anything that is in it..... let's give it a try to see if we move up from 32 to 1... :D

ProductivePC, Mar 15, 2005 IP
  10. Java

Java Peon

Best Answers:
    We had the same problem-much better IBL than the competition although none of us were in the Directory. We solved it and went to #1, not by getting in the directory. Clue: If it's not off page, then it must be on page. You say you have it optimized, that's what we thought too, until we took apart the competitors and played around with the on page factors until we tweeked it into #1. The good thing is that Yahoo is picking up our changes in less than 24 hours. So some days we were able to test 2 versions in the same day to find what worked and what didn't. Fortunuately we were in the top ten, and knew that ranking changes were as a result of our efforts, and not by what the competition was doing.
    We're now using the same process to get to the top on a much more competitve phrase.

Java, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  11. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any surprise Java with the on page stuff? I believe I read google does not "do" keyword proximity. Do you think yahoo does?

dirtdog1960theone, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  12. Java

Java Peon

Best Answers:
    We had the competition beat on Keyword proximity before tweeking, so that wasn't the deciding factor, so I don't know how much emphasis Yahoo uses for that factor. In fact we had the competition beat on all the factors in WebPositions Page Critique and IBPs Keyword Density Analzyer.

Dig through and compare a page that is ranked higher but with way fewer back links compared to another page and the on page keyword differences should be apparent.

Java, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  13. Steamboat

Steamboat Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the Advice Java

Steamboat, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  14. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    Java can you give us an example of some of the things you found wrong on your page? What changes did you have to make? I'm currently redoing some pages for Yahoo instead of MSN because I've learned MSN traffic blows.

alias420, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  15. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    I have one site that has nearly a million backlinks on yahoo and still i have never been able to surpass the top 20 results for a "fairly competitive" keyword. It's not with the number of links that you have pointing back to your site - it's about the QUALITY of those links!

webmistress, Aug 27, 2005 IP
  16. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys and Ladies,

We joined the directory, paid the outlandish fee, and agreed to the horrid TOS they have and the results are positive. The day after we did that, we have been number 1 & 2 in yahoo. We have been that since I posted in this thread back in March. We have made enough to offset the expense. I will continue to pay the $300.00 per year that they want to be in their stupid directory that does absolutely nothing else for you other than help your rankings within the yahoo search engine.

Beware of joining. Make sure that your description is EXACTLY what you want and that you don't have your keyword phrase or any part of it repeated twice in that description as you will NOT be able to change it. I have written in 20 times to change our description and they just ignore me. I hate yahoo!

Just my 2 cents.

ProductivePC, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  17. webmistress

webmistress Guest

Best Answers:
    ProductivePC,

You mean you've paid for a Y! Directory inclusion? $300??? I'm not following a thing :s

In any case, the Yahoo directory listing is a total scam!!! You absolutely can't get good rankings on yahoo search just by having you listed in the directory, regardless of industry, it has absolutely NO EFFECT! Raise this issue on webmasterworld and you'll soon see most Y! experts go crazy telling you it has no effect!! It's pretty weird you had good rankings after being listed in the Y! directory. Very weird indeed!

webmistress, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  18. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah but his experience seems to directly contradict what those "Experts" might say.. He is here telling us that he got to number one because he got in the directory. First hand experience, as anecdotal as it is...

aeiouy, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I do believe that the Yahoo! Directory listing has an effect and I have seen many sites get ranked from the moment they get in there. However, it also depends on the listing, who edits it and what category he/she allows you in with which title and description.

Blogmaster, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  20. enetjojo

enetjojo Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion yahoo backlinks can help increase your website pages in the search result.
    just site:xx.com
    the more backlinks you have, the more search result will be listed.

enetjojo, Aug 28, 2005 IP