1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo and MSN results the same?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by rvarcher, Dec 16, 2004.

I noticed something today that seems kinda strange.

The top ten results on MSN and Yahoo are identical for at least 2 of my keyword phrases.

condo rental
    condo rentals

Just a coincidence? Wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

At least I'm on the first page now for both. :D Thanks Shawn! Still waiting for Google to catch up but at least I've gone from obscurity to around 28th. Google's results for the above terms are quite different, which is what I'd expect. I really expected all 3 to have quite different results.

rvarcher, Dec 16, 2004 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    big coincidence. I am nowhere on a heavy used keyword in MSN, I am 9th in Yahoo. They have different systems.

Dirkjan, Dec 16, 2004 IP
  3. HHI Golf Guy

HHI Golf Guy Guest

Best Answers:
    Both Yahoo and MSN get their raw data from Inktomi (purchased by Yahoo some time ago). Alta Vista, Hot Bot and All The Web (and a few others) also use the Inktomi raw data. Most likely, MSN and Yahoo have a similar algo applied to the raw results, as do the others.

Any day/week/month/year MSN will be switching their results to their new proprietary database and algorithm.

In a nutshell, you should have similar results in all of the Inktomi fed databases.

HHI Golf Guy, Dec 16, 2004 IP